Tinnitus Suddenly Louder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Henrik78, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Henrik78

Henrik78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      My tinnitus suddenly got worse and louder. It started 5 days ago. Now I am struggling to sleep and the anxiety level is over the top. I've had low tinnitus for almost two years that didn't bother me so much, but now this new pure tone has become much more severe.

5 days before the increase I had a balloon pop just next to my ear. I didn't feel any different after the pop in the moment or later on. I also just finished 3 weeks with cold.

Can any of these causes, the cold or the popping balloon be the reason?

2. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      In my opinion it is the cold. Colds cause an inflammation of the sinuses which can put pressure on Eustachian tube. It can take several weeks for the tinnitus increase to subside. I would try to relax though because in my opinion this is only a temporary increase that will subside within a few weeks

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I agree this perhaps is a temporary spike. Your best course of action is to remain calm as more anxiety and stress can only make T worse. Just wait out the storm and try to get some good sleep. If you need it, Melatonin is a natural alternative for sleeping pills and may help you sleep better which can be a huge help to tame T. Take good care. God bless.