Tinnitus Tamer

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Karl, May 18, 2012.

1. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Are there specific earphones that I should have for T? I did not know that. I use ear buds for masking with my I-pod...good? bad?

I also have a pair of BOSC (expensive noise reducer) for when I am in a loud car, bus, etc...

2. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No that I know of. As long as you don't play it too loud, it should be fine. I've read on the forums here that some people don't like ear buds or putting anything in their ears at all. Me also (besides the hearing aids). But that would be preference. Maybe check with your audio if they agree. I can't tell you that.

3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @SteveToHeal Thanks Steve I believe you told me all I need to know. Keep my money.

4. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Be careful
      'And even though most of us don’t think too much about it, iPod hearing loss is a serious risk for many iPod users.
      A growing body of research is showing that how we listen to our iPods can cause lasting hearing damage. The iPod can produce a maximum of 100-115 decibels (software limits European iPods to 100 db; U.S. models have been measured higher), which is the equivalent of attending a rock concert.
      Some studies have even found that some people in their 20s have hearing loss more typical of 50 year olds, thanks to this kind of exposure (of course, this isn’t an iPod-specific problem: Walkman users had the same problem in the 1980s)'

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Ken219 - I wasn't ever taking any.

6. Lance

Lance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I just re-read through these posts and I would like to offer my interpretation of how Tinnitus Tamer works.
      It is very clever and based on auditory science, supposedly.

The goal of the software is to activate and strengthen the auditory neurons that correspond to frequencies just below and just above your tinnitus frequency. By doing this, they are less susceptible to resonating with your tinnitus frequency. This is based on the theory of "recruitment".

The neurons in your auditory cortex corresponding to your tinnitus frequency never stop sending signals to your consciousness, because they are not receiving any electrical signals from your ear and they try and hear harder but there is nothing there, because your mechanical ear mechanism has been damaged from loud noises.

These overactive neurons eventually will recruit nearby auditory neurons to chime in. It's like a contagion that spreads through your auditory cortex, and pretty soon more and more of your auditory neurons are all chiming at the Tinnitus Frequency

Your auditory cortex is like a loaf of bread that is neatly sliced. One of the pieces of bread corresponds to the group of neurons that are chiming at your tinnitus frequency. That piece of bread will "contaminate" the piece of bread on either side, which correspond to lower and higher frequencies, respectively.

The more pieces of bread that are contaminated, the louder your tinnitus will be.

For the 3 Frequencies on TT, you set Frequency 2 to match you Tinnitus Frequency as close as you can.
      Set Frequency 2 to be quieter by cutting the boost.
      Set Frequency 1 to be 20% below your Tinnitus Frequency.
      Set Frequency 3 to be 20% above your Tinnitus Frequency.

You have now bracketed your Tinnitus Frequency.

Play the software and let your brain fix itself.
      Theoretically, anyways.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Koen

Koen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headset usage , hi freq
      @Lance freq nr 2 is max 2khz. Most people have a T freq higher than that. Mine is around 16kz :(.