Tinnitus Textbook Devotes Chapter to Cannabinoids

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mock turtle, May 31, 2012.

1. Ferret

Ferret Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I got some CBD tincture with zero THC from a local shop (legal here in Washington state) and I think it just might be helping my T a tiny bit? But yeah, only in that it is calming and helps tame my monkey mind, hehe. I don't think any neurological healing is happening but for now I am enjoying it and will continue to use it. I think it helps my overall balance in a way much like a glass of wine with dinner. I will let you all know if I think an objective improvement has occurred by the time I finish a couple bottles of it. Oh, I do agree that it would probably be best to save that skunky high-THC stuff for special occasions, some of that stuff is like acid (also best spared for special occasions!)

2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I'm a medical marijuana user for IBS and since my T started I had to stop smoking/vaporizing because it actually spikes my tinnitus... this is terrible news for me because I've always found solace and relaxation in times of stress, anxiety and, of course, IBS.
      What I -have- found, however, is that THC is the culprit. If I smoke a high THC strain the T spikes along with my anxiety and restlessness. If however I smoke a lower % THC strain with a higher amount of CBD its not as bad.
      I will try a purely CBD strain on my next order to see what will happen.
      It is now legal in Canada for producers to sell oils etc, so once available I will be very interested in trying a pure CBD oil also.

3. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I just smoked some now and WOW are my ears going nuts.

4. HalfEmpty

HalfEmpty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      I smoke marijuana fairly regularly, and I'd say if anything it makes it either worse or I just concentrate on it more since I'm high. Doesn't effect me too bad, I really like smoking llol

5. Joan A.
      No Mood

Joan A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2000/ spike 2006/ massive 2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
    6. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      Exactly my experience! I was like 16 and in my town, I as I walked by people, some would call me over and say 'hey man, how it's going? come over and have a smoke with us'. I really hated this idle and illusory state of mind, felt like a waste of time for me. But if it truly helps with T, I'll change that in an instant and my new name will be Mr Pot.

7. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      thanks for sharing :)

8. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Count me in as another one who hadn't smoked since late teens. It used to be nice back then, a sense of euphoria, an appreciation for colors and detail, with an incredible increase in creativity.

A couple weeks ago a friend gave me some medical marijuana. I asked him if it affected his tinnitus. He said it made no difference. Well, I tried it, thinking it would help my creative block. It was awful. My heartbeat felt way too strong and there was no impetus to be creative. Very disappointing.

The worst part is, the next day I woke up with a spike that lasted almost a week. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm not willing to risk it again. The pot is labeled Amherst Sour Diesel Indoor Flow from Greenleaf Labs. D9-THC is 21.41%, and CBD is 0.13%. Apparently the THC is too high for me.

• Like Like x 1
    9. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      I just got a CBD scrip for an 18:1 CBD to THC spray..It's a new, precise way to deliver it...The bad:It actually kept me awake after my 1st dose last night..I am more looking for assistance with anxiety, depression and insomnia than tinnitus relief...I actually felt wired and clear--would have been good during the day but not at night ! I will get back to my MD and the weed dispensary and get back to everyone...I've also reached out to Dr. Jastreboff after not seeing him for 11 (!!) years...See if I can get a check up with him in Atlanta

• Like Like x 1
    10. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      You needed the reverse ration; get at least an 8:1 CBD to THC

• Like Like x 1
    11. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      He gave me another sample. It's Purple Hindu Kush-108. D9-THC is 17.8% and CBD is 0.1%. That's probably not going to be good for me either because it doesn't match your ratio. I'm too apprehensive about another spike to give it a try.

He doesn't know I have tinnitus, and I don't want to tell him because it's something I'd rather not discuss. He has had tinnitus for maybe five years, and seems to function a lot better than I do. He tends to dismiss people's inability to cope with things as being a character deficiency.

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I never have been much of a pot smoker. But in 2014, about six-seven months after my tinnitus onset, I tried some at a party on the suggestion that it might help my T. My experience was like @Cheza's: crazy heartbeat, feeling hyper nervous and uncomfortable, paranoid... I had to leave the party and go lie down.

Just my experience. My guess is cannabis is just like other medications and tinnitus: what works for some may not work for others.

13. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I think that's absolutely true, which explains why even with rigorous clinical trials, people die from taking medications that have been proven safe for the majority.

I didn't experience paranoia, as there was nothing in the environment to be paranoid about. Mostly it just didn't feel good at all. I kept waiting for a sense of relaxation and peace of mind, but all I could think of was that I wanted the extreme physical discomfort to go away. The spike that endured for a week is what really did me in, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      That has been my experience with just one spray from an 18:1 CBD to THC mix..I have already told my intergrative doctor and the dispensary about this...I will try one more time--then return the spray for a full refund and ask my MD what to do next

15. Betsy day

Betsy day Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took a dose of an edible gummie CBD for the first time yesterday. My usual and constant tinnitus was lowered in volume, I was so excited! I do not smoke weed and can't tolerate THC. The cbd edible was thc free. It gave me great relief for about 8 hours. I will definitely take this again! I did not feel high at all, no side effects, just tinnitus relief