Tinnitus Textbook Devotes Chapter to Cannabinoids

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mock turtle, May 31, 2012.

1. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      in a textbook written by Paul Smith there is discussion about the anti epileptic effect of cannabinoids and their potential to down regulate glutamate thus affecting tinnitus

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u1v07ul7107t2084/

Abstract

One of the main theories of tinnitus is that it is a form of sensory epilepsy, sometimes arising from neuronal hyperactivity in the brainstem cochlear nucleus.
      Antiepileptic drugs have therefore been explored as one potential treatment option.
      Increasing evidence suggests that cannabinoid drugs can also have antiepileptic effects.
      Recently, it has been reported that cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptors and the endogenous cannabinoid, 2-arachidonylglycerol (2-AG), are expressed in the cochlear nucleus.
      CB1 receptors appear to negatively regulate the release of glutamate, and it is possible that their down-regulation during the development of tinnitus is responsible for the neuronal hyperactivity associated with the condition.
      This chapter explores the possibility that cannabinoid drugs might be useful in the treatment of tinnitus.
      ----------
      and you can sneak a preview of part of the chapter here
      http://www.springerlink.com/content/u1v07ul7107t2084/
      ----------

disclaimer from mock turtle

most polls that i have seen on a variety of web sites indicate that a substantial percent of marijuana report an increase in tinnitus (and some report decrease) so... im not advocating self medication with a controlled substance. it could be that there are a variety of substances in cannabis, and some help and some hurt, so clearly more research is needed before judgements can be made

• Like Like x 1
    2. Peter Phua

Peter Phua Guest

Interesting. It's unfortunate that the anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that cannabinoids exacerbate tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Peter

i have seen the question asked of a group, "does T get better or worse from cannabis"

i have read around 40% say worse and 30% say better and about the same percent say no difference

so you have a valid point

then again, street drugs are not noted for quality control and...

who knows what else the people that self report are taking

i dont have an opinion on this but sure wish there could be a scientific study

• Like Like x 1
    4. Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      As we all know, most people need drugs in their day to day lives to cope with Tinnitus, whether that may be anti depressants, sleeping drugs or whatever. A lot of these drugs help release calmness into the brain, here is a drug that has came into mind... What about Marijuana?

5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Have you tried it?

6. Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Nope

7. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Well, if you do, please come back and let us know whether it helped.

8. Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      :LOL: I don't smoke but yeah...

9. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      No need to add tobacco - many don't.

10. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    11. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm going to! Soon done. If you (or anyone for that matter) spot duplicate discussions that could be merged and for some reason they haven't, then I, DD or erik might've just missed it. There's a nice "Report" function one can use to report discussions, the function can very well be used for suggestions (merge, move, delete).

13. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

ok - I hardly ever notice them tho.

Love your 'Head Honcho' new title :) I think we should have some like... 'pitiful sufferer' or some other one that introduces a little humour. Smiling is good for us :):):)

14. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Wanting to avoid pain meds and docs, I got a medical marijuana card after blowing out a shoulder and aggravating old injuries during over our move to Colorado last spring. Absolutely no relief from either the pain or tinnitus. Had to just tough it out over time. Having adictive tendencies, the marijuana experiment proved to be a big mistake. I don't think it aggrevated the T symptoms, so perhaps it might be of some help to others.

15. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I'm big into weed, and believe it should be legal for recreational and medicinal purposes. I find that most times I vapourize my weed that it will make my tinnitus more noticable, but on the flip side it makes me care alot less about it and I sleep much better than I regularly would, the rise in volume is only temporary and returns to base very quickly. What is also interesting is that sometimes my tinnitus will go completely silent for hours when I'm high, this is less common for me but has happen many a time now since I've had my tinnitus (about a year) - so I'd recommend any of you to give it a go, it's a MILLION times better than relying on a benzo/sleeping pill/pain medication/anti-depressent/etc.

I would love to live somewhere where it was legal so I would be able to experiment with different strains (indica vs. sativa) and methods of consumption such as oils, edibles, etc. I believe most street weed (here at least) have high levels of THC, the psychoactive component (usually the component which will cause the all too common weed-associated anxiety many people experience, and would explain why people experience a spike in their tinnitus when high) whereas there are less cannabnoids (CBD's) which are considered to habour most of the medicinal benefits. It would be interesting to see how a strain with a high level of CDB's vs THC or an extract/oil specifically made to comprise of mostly CBD's would affect tinnitus levels.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yes ive read and been told sativa aggravates tinnitus and indica can be a help

where i live the state government says its legal, but the federal government classifies weed as a schedule one drug..."a most dangerous drug"... and the drug police really seem to enjoy their work, so i wont be experimenting with marijuana as a treatment any time in the foreseeable future

17. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      In WA & CO, who recently made personal use legal, and in the 16 other states where it is approved for medicinal purposes, federal authorities normally don't bother anyone abiding by state law, so long as they don't openly flaunt their personal use or engage in unlawful production or distribution.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      im not that brave

19. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      I can say that I have not tried Mary J for my T. In my teenage years, many, many, moons ago, I tried it but was never a fan of something that I could not turn off when I no longer wanted the sensation. I hated laying around stoned for hours on end.

However, with the push to legalize the sale of it in many states, I would gladly go to growin' on my 12 acres to sell for those who wish to partake. It is no worse than alcohol, prescription meds, etc. It would also save untold money to remove this from the list of crimes. I think it is a shame that it is not allowed for cancer patients. Anything that helps improve the quality of their few remaining moments, should be legal. TTFN!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Not to worry... Wanting to avoid doc visits and pain meds, I got a medical marijuana card after blowing out a shoulder during our move to Colorado last Spring. While some people swear by it, I got absolutely no relief from either the shoulder pain OR tinnitus. If anything, it made matters worse. I definitely didn't enjoy the high like I did when I was young; could have something to do with how strong it is now days. I do agree with sworthi245 about pushing for legality, even though it's not for me anymore.

21. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I occasionally smoke cannabis, I have also found it can up the volume, yes maybe due to anxiety, but the volume will go back down. I agree though that it can help you sleep because you care less. Although there may be a correlation, I smoke the street stuff that is mostly THC heavy skunk and will most probably have no real medical benefits... So, after cutting down (I now have no more than 1 spliff, 2 times a month or even less) my T has improved, but I have also been taking other actions to improve my T.

22. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      What other actions did you take?

23. oatsey

oatsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      I've noticed that at the threshold of psychotropic effects(after having smoked/vaped cannabis), I will experience a brief cessation of the noise.

24. Tami
      Amused

Tami Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well here's what I found out. Regular smoking is OUT! Regardless what kind, however if you vaporizer with the sativia OILS or use the Medibles, it DOES NOT flare up the Tinnitus and yes helps you to forget about and ignore it. It costs more but worth it and a little goes a long way. Everyone is different of course but this is what I found out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Tami
      Amused

Tami Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also asked my Doctor for Flexeral. A muscle relaxer and it helps to keep the ringing down.
      What about antidepressants? Has anyone tried them? Do they help? If so what kind? I have never taken them but heard they help.

• Like Like x 1
    26. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I've used flexeril . its good for sleeping. Next day t is usually light.

27. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

In the past (before hearing aids) i have some benefit from thc. Is not clear this point :
      CB1 receptors appear to negatively regulate the release of glutamate, and it is possible that their down-regulation during the development of tinnitus is responsible for the neuronal hyperactivity associated with the condition

....the developement of tinnitus or quieting? (that was my experience)
      both?

Best wishes

• Useful Useful x 1
    28. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What about the Charlotte's Web version of cannabis used to treat epilepsy in children? It is low in THC so it does not make you high ... has anyone in a State that permits marijuana to be dispensed found and tried this version for relief of their tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      • Like Like x 1
    30. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Smoking weed is completely off for me , used to enjoy it , now I feel awful after a joint. Too old or something ?