Tinnitus Texture/Physical Feel in Addition to the Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Oct 12, 2020.

1. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      It seems like not everyone has a physical feel to their tinnitus which is curious to me - certainly the first time I had tinnitus, which went away, it was just a gentle noise.

Now when my tinnitus spikes I can literally feel the sound in my inner ear, as though it is real. To me, this means the nerves must be getting stimulated, but not sure what the actual underlying mechanism is in terms of what creates the feel.

Curious about the people here - does your tinnitus have a feel, and if so, what does it feel like, and how did your tinnitus start?

Mine is noise-induced for reference.

2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

This happens much less presently for me. When I have a sensation, it feels like it is being pushed out of my right ear forcefully. I’ve always associated mine with inflammation. The more inflamed that ear felt, the more sensation I felt / perceived.

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know whether this counts, because I suspect that I have MEM. That feels like a washing machine is on dryer function in my ear, but more of a hollow sound. Started out of the blue, have this for the 4th time in 4 years.

The high frequency sound sounds and feels like a grinder/flex/dentist drill at around 10-12 kHz, or if I was being electrocuted. Does this make sense? Did you mean like this when you said that you have a feeling to your T? Started 2 days after the low hum terminated last fall. I think it's due to cumulative noise exposure.

Last one sounds like the lovechild of an ambulance and a cuckoo, that's just a sound, I think, this is pure tone and the quietest of them all.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think these are all valid although I can’t say any of them are similar to mine. My tinnitus feels like when someone plays something high pitched next to your ears and your nerves kind of itch for a second.

I guess as people with physiological feedback we are in a rare subtype overall.

5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      When tinnitus is mild/moderate, it is only noise, but when it is severe, then you could get the physiological feedback of all sorts...s ome people say "electrocuted" , some "vibrate", some say "driving a nail", and I guess "itching" can be one too... I feel more a "scratchy" feeling...

It is the "The Itchy and Scratchy Show" ...

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Texture definitely makes it harder to imagine habituation for me.