Tinnitus Week 2018 / Day 4: Do You Use Apps to Manage Your Tinnitus? If So, Which Ones and Why?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Apps are ubiquitous - do you use any app, such as something that provides sound enrichment, to manage your tinnitus? According to our recent survey (2,046 respondents), 60% have used a mobile app to manage their tinnitus. We'd love to know which apps you use and why.

TinnitusWeek-Thursday.jpg

Comment below. You can also respond to our Facebook post.

2. Ozchatnoir

Ozchatnoir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use the Re-Sound app at night and listen to Enchanted Forest. Have done for months since I got onto it. Definitely helps me to sleep as the ticking is pretty bad at night when I don’t have the hearing aids in.

3. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
    4. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I use a windows phone app called Rain O Rain that plays a variety of sounds including this particular crickets in a forest soundscape that helps me sleep :)

5. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      No but at night if things get too bad I use the masker in my hearing aids

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I did not, but after learning about them from the other members who answered and found them useful, i am tempted to try them and maybe i will use them is the future.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I don't no more.
      But loved music called The Healer by Semus Byrne.

8. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Nothing at all

9. John Doe

John Doe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      elektronik musik
      When I first got tinnitus, I tried to use apps and videos to mask the noise, but soon stopped because it felt like an unnecessary hassle for my (mild?) case. I also figure that I get distracted/annoyed easily with too much auditory stimulation, which would also explain why I prefer to sleep in complete silence.

10. Summers2

Summers2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An outside concert
    11. AZmom
      Buzzed

AZmom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly caused by anti-inflammatory medicine
      I love the "Relax Melodies" app that a member recommended in a previous post. You can combine all kinds of different sounds and control the volume of each sound in the combined melody. I sleep with a "Pink Noise for Sleeping" app which is loopable. I use it more to block out sounds from the neighborhood that might wake me up.

12. Akk

Akk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkonown
      I used iOS app ”hearing help” before I got my hearing aid. According to my ENT (specialiced to tinnitus) told that when using that app three months (4-5 hours per day) it should reduce my tinnitus (caused by hearing loss). Yes, it worked when it was used, like real hearing aid, but when not used tinnitus was back to normal level.

13. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Phonak Tinnitus Balance app, I wear Phonak hearing aids
      Simply Rain
      I have a small collection of clips that I can play in a loop, nature sounds, notched therapy and acoustic neuromodulation.
      I am not currently using sounds but do as necessary.

14. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I use the ReSound app, too. I tried quite a few until stumbling across the cricket sounds on ReSound. I connect the app to a Bose bluetooth speaker and it has been wonderful, very good quality and easy to move throughout my home.

Another app that I like is the NIOSH decibel monitor. It gives me peace of mind by assuring me that I am in a safe environment. Struggling with hyperacisus in the initial months, I felt that I was a poor judge of volume. I would think an environment was 100dB, only to run my decibel app and see that it was only 70dB. As my anxiety has improved, I have become a better judge and use the app only once or twice a month now.

15. Dive Master
      Tired

Dive Master Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Airbag blast
      Tried many "nature" sounds apps but some are repetitive ad nauseam (the sounds loop again and again). Very irritating. I sleep with windows wide opened and focus on outside noises. Day sounds usually mask my T, now, and now only (after nearly 4 years).

16. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      First, thank you Marku for your comment in the significant other thread. I wasn't sure if I could or should comment there.

Regarding different apps. I am unable to use anything digital in nature via headsets. I have the same reaction towards florsecent lighting. I cannot talk on the phone for more than a half-hour and need to use something like a rolled up cotton ball in my ear to keep whatever it is in that type of digital being directly in my ear.

So I do not use apps. But have to make my own type of recording using ummm...tapes. I use music for specific instrumental reasons and also vocal duets. I have a whole system I worked out and still use.

I wish that digital tone could be different. I have nerve damage that cannot be repaired but over the years has healed somewhat.

17. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      No apps, but in the first couple years I streamed from myNoise.net. Absolutely love Flying Fortress. I listen to it now for the sheer enjoyment. Same for Distant Thunder. Nocturnal garden was great for soothing my nerves when the screeching cicadas in my head became overwhelming.

18. Betsy girl

Betsy girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck issues
      relax melodies is just brilliant and when times are tough it’s the only thing that got me through

19. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      I used notched file therapy for about 2 weeks and it reduced by "tonal" tinnitus quite a bit, but i've yet to find a notch file frequency that helps my high pitched hissing T and i've tried 6 different HZs from 8500 to 14k without much effect, but reducing the "tonal" T was a great benefit as the high pitched screeching tea pot sounds were pushing me towards the deep end!

20. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Yes, I love using these apps:

Deep Sleep
      Rain Sounds
      White Noise
      myNoise

All great apps for free; I mostly like the nature sounds for sleeping (waterfalls, rain, ocean waves) and white noise for day time if needed.

21. The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I use sound enrichment at night when my tinnitus is real bad. I have a pillow with speakers that is hooked up to a white machine. It has lots of sounds to choose from. I like the waves with cricket, bird and bell buoy sounds. Sometimes it helps me to get to sleep. But other times I still just get up and try what else to do to get tired and get to sleep. That's why I'm here on my computer now

22. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sound enrichment at night; "Alexa: play whitenoise!"

23. HarrCohen

HarrCohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nasal infection
      I use the White Noise app. I've tried most of the others mentioned in this post, but White Noise works best for me. It has a variety of "white noises" and the "pink noise" does the best job of masking. There are also many other noise. White Noise offers a free version, but I paid $0.99 to get rid of the ads. The paid version also provides a timer, which I use at night.
      During the day, I use "invisible" ear buds available on Amazon. There are a few different brands which range from $12 to $20. Very few people notice that I'm using the ear buds, so they are ideal for work and social situations. See here and here for single ear buds, and here for a pair of ear buds.

I use an iPod Touch (an iPhone without the phone) because it lasts for at least 8 hours when it's playing the white noise.

24. Jaylee R
      Frustrated

Jaylee R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music or TMJ
      I love the "Relax Melodies" app on my iPhone. You can click on the tiles for sounds, and make your own combos of sounds.
      There are 5 types of rain, there's traffic, birds, frogs, night crickets, cat purring (!), melodies, chants, wind, waters, and a section of meditations too. You can set a timer for it to stop.

25. janeagain

janeagain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      january 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably NyQuill medication
      I use and Android App called "Calm." It has melodies on a loop (which I only listen during the day). It also has something called "scenes" I listen to one called "rain on leaves." It puts me to sleep even when my T has got really bad (very loud high pitch noise). This scene has no music, only water falling.

26. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Thanks for the tip @glynis !

27. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Evidence of Mobile Applications in Otolaryngology Targeted at Patients

Editorial to accompany publication of AOR-20-0321.R1—Mobile applications in otolaryngology: a systematic review of the literature, apple app store, and the google play store

Trecca, Eleonora; Lonigro, Antonio; Gelardi, Matteo; Kim, Brandon; Cassano, Michele.

Mobile technology is increasingly used in healthcare (“mobile health”) and will continue to transform the field significantly. Already, numerous mobile applications (apps) are available. Many mobile apps have been developed to serve as reference tools for healthcare professionals including otolaryngologists, but the vast majority of mobile apps are targeted directly at patients. These apps offer everything from tracking and monitoring of the patient’s own health data, communication with the patient’s healthcare provider, to self-diagnosis and even treatment. In this largely unregulated field, clinicians will increasingly encounter patients who have used mobile apps.

In this issue of Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology, Trecca et al present “Mobile applications in otolaryngology: a systematic review of the literature, apple app store, and the google play store.” In their review, they map both the current landscape of otolaryngology mobile apps targeted at patients by searching major mobile app stores as well as the supporting evidence for these mobile apps in the published scientific literature. They further appraise the quality of these mobile apps using an established mobile app rating scale (MARS) that considers engagement, functionality, esthetics, and information. The authors found just over a thousand mobile apps within otolaryngology that include for example audiometry, tinnitus management, posturography, sleep recording and analysis, and allergy symptom logbooks.

In contrast to the plethora of available apps, the literature search yielded <200 relevant papers on mobile apps in otolaryngology with only 33 studies aimed at validating specific mobile apps. There is an apparent discrepancy between the number of mobile apps in our field and their scientific support. The authors found many apps of questionable quality and few were developed in collaboration with healthcare professionals. Many of the most popular apps are free and are easier to find because of the many reviews and downloads in contrast to the few scientifically validated apps. The authors emphasize that FDA regulations can be circumvented if the app is categorized as a “lifestyle” app instead of a “medical” app.

Mobile apps have the potential to reach an extensive number of patients, however, a critical approach to the information and results presented by most of these apps is needed. As highlighted by this review, mobile health in otolaryngology—especially mobile apps targeted at patients—requires much more research. As clinicians, we will need up-to-date knowledge on mobile apps in our field to have educated conversations with our patients. This systematic review serves as an excellent point of reference and also provides an overview of which mobile apps have some degree of validity.

Source: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0003489420951113

28. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Smartphone and Mobile Health Apps for Tinnitus: Systematic Identification, Analysis, and Assessment

Background: Modern smartphones contain sophisticated high-end hardware features, offering high computational capabilities at extremely manageable costs and have undoubtedly become an integral part in users' daily life. Additionally, smartphones offer a well-established ecosystem that is easily discoverable and accessible via the marketplaces of differing mobile platforms, thus encouraging the development of many smartphone apps. Such apps are not exclusively used for entertainment purposes but are also commonplace in health care and medical use. A variety of those health and medical apps exist within the context of tinnitus, a phantom sound perception in the absence of any physical external source.

Objective: In this paper, we shed light on existing smartphone apps addressing tinnitus by providing an up-to-date overview.

Methods: Based on PRISMA guidelines, we systematically searched and identified existing smartphone apps on the most prominent app markets, namely Google Play Store and Apple App Store. In addition, we applied the Mobile App Rating Scale (MARS) to evaluate and assess the apps in terms of their general quality and in-depth user experience.

Results: Our systematic search and screening of smartphone apps yielded a total of 34 apps (34 Android apps, 26 iOS apps). The mean MARS scores (out of 5) ranged between 2.65-4.60. The Tinnitus Peace smartphone app had the lowest score (mean 2.65, SD 0.20), and Sanvello—Stress and Anxiety Help had the highest MARS score (mean 4.60, SD 0.10). The interrater agreement was substantial (Fleiss κ=0.74), the internal consistency was excellent (Cronbach α=.95), and the interrater reliability was found to be both high and excellent—Guttman λ6=0.94 and intraclass correlation, ICC(2,k) 0.94 (95% CI 0.91-0.97), respectively.

Conclusions: This work demonstrated that there exists a plethora of smartphone apps for tinnitus. All of the apps received MARS scores higher than 2, suggesting that they all have some technical functional value. However, nearly all identified apps were lacking in terms of scientific evidence, suggesting the need for stringent clinical validation of smartphone apps in future. To the best of our knowledge, this work is the first to systematically identify and evaluate smartphone apps within the context of tinnitus.

Full article: https://mhealth.jmir.org/2020/8/e21767/