Tinnitus Week 2019 — Our Plans

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Hazel, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Not surprisingly, Tinnitus Hub has the best information available for Tinnitus Week. BTA is working hard and they are up against some real challenges with the media. Everyone is going to be exhausted by Friday!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery

@TuxedoCat: you are the best!! I really think @Hazel needs our support. She has been doing so much.

I will provide the ice cream:p

Sometimes it is difficult being positive.

• Like Like x 4
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Here is one more.
      My struggles with Tinnitus - Overthinking...

It was recommended to me by YouTube...

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aaaaaand ..... Here's our Day 6 blog! This is my personal favourite so far :)

In my humble opinion, we put out a very nuanced message about tinnitus and its isolating effects. It's not as simple as "just get out more" and you'll be less bothered by your tinnitus. At least not for everyone. Please read and let me know your thoughts!

Also, today we shine a light on @Samantha R - she created an excellent video about the isolating effects of tinnitus, read more about it in this thread.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This is an excellent blog @Hazel.

The last paragraph is important:

"Finally, we should consider the possibility that a third factor could be at play here – something that causes both tinnitus annoyance and reclusiveness. It could be that – at the level of the brain – it’s not as simple as: higher tinnitus annoyance makes you more reclusive; or higher reclusiveness makes you more annoyed. There could instead be some fundamental neurological pattern causing both these things to occur. This is merely speculation of course, but some recent neurological research does seem to point in that direction."

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Woah! Last day of Tinnitus Week! Please check our last blog post, on Tinnitus and Work Woes.

Since the topic is work, we'd also like to refer to @Jazzer's story about how tinnitus affected his career.

I must say it's been quite a ride this past week. We really tried to put together some interesting content about the social impact of tinnitus, in line with the Isolation theme of this year, and I think we pulled it off.

As usual it has been a struggle for a volunteer-based organization to pull it all together in time. Last week, I was also attending a TIN-ACT workshop, which kept me super busy. And.... we recorded and edited a video with the winner of the Daniel Ballinger fund, to be released soon! Just to give you a glimpse of what else went on behind the scenes ;)

Anyway, I'm quite proud we delivered a quite cohesive campaign for Tinnitus Week, even though the attention we managed to generate was not that great. But not that bad either, we reached at least a few thousand people.

Still, I'm confident we can do better next year, and really create a splash! One thing that definitely requires improvement is collaboration between the tinnitus organizations. It's great that we came together with three partner organizations, but in the end we still each conducted our own campaigns, so it all feels a bit disjointed, which perhaps limits the impact.

Also, we need more involvement from you guys! It's been harder than it should be to get tinnitus patients directly involved. And I get it, many of you are feeling tired, dispirited, you feel like things will never change. But we can't give up the fight, folks! Give us your ideas for next year NOW! :D

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well done @Hazel and @Markku for all your hard work for Tinnitus Week 2019 and thank you to the members whom submitted videos and their story in writing.

This year Tinnitus Week has been a quiet one for me but as you know it's been a hard time for me but I have joined in a bit where I have been able.

Onwards and upwards and I'm sure 2019 will be a lovely one for Tinnitus Talk/Hub.

love glynis

• Like Like x 2