Tinnitus Worsened by Painfully Loud Amplified Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Carolyn C, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Carolyn C
      Disappointed

Carolyn C Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2013?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly overuse of Walkman. Recently Live Music.
      Hi there.

I am relatively healthy and 77 years old. I have had slight tinnitus for a long time--it wasn't noticeable except in silence.

It increased in loudness about six months ago but still not overly annoying.

More recently, stupidly, I went to a small restaurant with painfully loud amplified acoustic guitar. My husband and I were there maybe four times in the last month for perhaps one hour and a half to two hours. I did not notice a change immediately but now I have very increased volume. It is most scary when I wake up from sleep in the night at which time it is the loudest. I hear a "hiss" all the time, except when I am distracted by being engaged in thought or interacting with people. I try to think it is only a noise and won't hurt me, but still very upsetting.

I'm not sure exactly what habituation means, does that mean you get so used to the noise so you don't actually "hear" it or hearing it just doesn't bother you anymore? Not sure if it is worth seeing an ENT.

The forum has already been very helpful in helping me feel less alone. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I am sorry this is happening to you.

My tinnitus is similar to yours - a high-pitched hiss. At its worst it seems like a needle is cutting through the hiss.

Mine is not sound related but loud sounds can make it spike. So I avoid concerts, cinema - or anything like that. If I had to go, I would wear good earplugs.

Yes, it seems worse at night as everything is quiet - but in reality it is probably the same.

It takes a loud motorbike going past to drown mine out so I don't hear it - or a shower. So it is loud but I am quite well habituated.

Habituation means the tinnitus loudness no longer bother you much at all. It does not mean the loudness is reduced.

By all means see an ENT - I did - but nothing much was offered. You might have another experience.

For hiss type tinnitus there are some very good white noises available on YouTube though I try not to use them, but if I had to - I would. The sounds are quite soothing and you don't even know you have tinnitus at all - until you turn it off!

3. Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      Hello, so sorry you are dealing with this.

It is worth seeing an ENT. See if they will give you a round of Prednisone or another type of steroid - this reduces inflammation and can reverse the damage in some cases or minimize things.

Habituation is when your brain acclimates to the noise so it no longer bothers you.

It is possible for it to go away though. It can take 6-12 months or longer. Mine unfortunately is still here (six months since acoustic trauma) but it has improved.

Try to avoid loud places and use ear protection if you must be at one (like a restaurant with a band).

So sorry to hear you're dealing with this. It is awful. Stay strong.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carolyn C
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      2013?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks so much to both replies. I am so fortunate to have found Tinnitus Talk. It has helped me immeasurably--the emotional support and the information about how other people have proceeded. So, I am well on my way to being diligent about ear protection, dealing with what I have to deal with, and also having some small hope things might get better. I hope to be able to give back in the future.

5. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi @Carolyn C, unfortunately our hearing is very sensitive as we age. You should visit a very well trained Otologist or ENT.

Apart from steroids, which have to be prescribed by a doctor due to weight/height/ background, NAC, Magnesium, and Vitamins ACE can be beneficial as they can help protect the ears after noise trauma.

It's important that you visit a doctor as soon as possible; time is of the essence now.

Let us know of any updates. Wishing you all the best!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carolyn C
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      2013?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Amv, thanks so much for the advice, which I will act on, and your good wishes.

I have asked for a referral and received the information to set up an appointment with an ENT which I will try to do tomorrow. The ENT is at Mass Eye and Ear, however I'm afraid the wait might be several months. But if so, perhaps I can get a different referral.