Tinnitus Worsening After Two Tablets of Zithromax (Azithromycin)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Niatoolit, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Hello, I took two tablets (250mg) of Zithromax (Azithromycin) yesterday and my tinnitus got at least doubled and I don't know what to do. I won't take it again of course.

Is there anything I can do? Will the spike go away or is this my new baseline? Could NAC help at all or could it make it worse?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm really sorry about this worsening, people should be warned about the ototoxicity of azithromycin. I don't think that NAC would make it worse. Try to wait it up, it might just be a spike, which can go back to baseline, but sometimes takes weeks or months to do so.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Thank you for the reply, i am in shock, it's crazy how two pills can cause so harm. I'll take some NAC and prey for the spike to calm down, even just a tiny bit could make a huge difference. What a horrible drug, i recommend anyone to avoid taking it, i should have made some research here before take it.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I was trying to find the mechanism of ototoxic damage with Azithtromycin.

Difficult to find precise mechanisms, but did find several references to the use of NAC and Nicotinamide Riboside (which is used to prevent cisplatin ototoxicity).

I am sorry this has happened to you. Similar scenario to you 7 years ago myself after being given IV ciprofloxacillin.

None of this is your fault. The blame lies solely on the pharmaceutical companies that push the drugs, and the doctors who blindly prescribe them.

Moving forward, see if you can get your hands on NAC and Nicotinamide Riboside/NAD, and let us know how your spike goes.

By the way, do you mind me asking why you were prescribed the Azithtromycin in the first place? Could it be the untreated infection/ associated stress that has led to your spike and not the drug necessarily?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Azithromycin is rarely ototoxic but to affected individuals it can damage the ion channels in both the stria vascularis and possibly the brain stem. It also cam damage outer hair cells, inner hair cells and support cells.

The good news is for the vast majority who took low dose, it's reversible within a few months. I took a high and prolonged dose and my hearing distortions have ruined my life but this is very very rare.

I would take every anti oxidant you can.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Thank you for the support everyone! This forum always amazes me with its users kindness and thoughtfulness, you guys are the best.

So, i'm in my hometown and i couldn't find NAC in any pharmacy. I will have some this Wednesday. The spike was my biggest in years but good news is i think it's calming down a bit. I did only get two tablets of 250mg each. Bad news is i think it affected my H, i was getting really better with it the few last months. Had severe H for years. The tinnitus spike is definitely caused from the Zithromax, the H spike i'm not sure because it was a stressful week and sometimes i think stress affects my H. Doctor prescribed me Zithromax for small bacterial lung infection i still had following a flu a couple months ago (got tested for covid cause the symptoms were similar but it wasn't it). Doc also told me that there's no worthy opponent to Zithromax and it's their go-to for stuff like that, covid included. Apart from the disastrous ear side effects, i experienced really intense chest pains the night i took the pills. This stuff may be pretty dangerous.

Anyone knows if Zithromax worsens H apart from T? Also can i ask about the Nicotinamide Riboside/NAD? Can i take both NAC and Nicotinamide Riboside/NAD? Are those safe to use?

7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      You can take both NAC and NAD together.

Azithromycin can cause just about any hearing issue but is very poorly studied.

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks FGG! Love your insightful posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. bbwuey

bbwuey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise/antibiotics
    10. JYD

JYD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      This. I was having some mild tinnitus for about a week. It's never been bad and I only noticed it faintly a few years ago, but I hardly ever noticed it... Until I started a low dose (250mg) 5-day Z-pack 5 days ago. Holy cow...

NOW, I have moderate tinnitus. I can sleep ok, as I use a white noise machine. But it is EVER present, whereas before, I would have to almost search for it.

I'm convinced the Z-pack caused this spike. I'm going to an ENT on Monday.

I stopped the Z-pack after 3 doses, so I didn't finish the next 2 doses. I HOPE this goes away or at least subsides soon or I could handle this for a bit as long as it's not permanent. Only time will tell.

11. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      I have to ask.

What did the ENT doctor have to say?

12. JYD

JYD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My hearing test revealed some high frequency hearing loss. Overall, the audiologist said my hearing is still "pretty good", but is showing signs from some permanent loss.

Audiologist and ENT were both good overall; not dismissive. But they were not super helpful or encouraging either in the sense that they is "not much we can do right now" and told me to just "protect your hearing as much as possible going forward."

They do think it's possible mine came on suddenly from an infection, but they did not see any drainage in my ears or suspect something going on, but they did offer to do a round of antibiotics and Prednisone. I will skip the Prednisone as I've read too many horror stories with only temporary relief from tinnitus. I may do a round of Amoxicillin.

OH! And the PA did not know that Z-paks were ototoxic. I told her that Z-paks are listed as ototoxic and there are over 40,000 cases reported to the FDA of tinnitus spiking after taking a Z-pak. Don't get me started on that one...

13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Is your hearing loss at least somewhat bilateral in both ears? If it is, it's not caused by infection.

14. JYD

JYD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will find out. Honestly, it was all kind of a blur yesterday, and I am supposed to get all my test results in my patient portal today, which should tell me. I'll follow up.