Tipa Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Jim, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I bought the Tipa Tinnitus product through Apple iTunes recently. The app is free to download to your iPod, iPhone. Once the app is on your device you purchase "Playpacks" of 50 plays from within the app ($50). It is very easy and simple to use. I have only used it 3 times so far. I have not had any results positive or negative. I can hear some mixing of the tones with the tinnitus and the tinnitus tone changes while I am listening. No residual inhibition for me at this point. Of course if I get any positive effect I will post it here and everywhere. But I'm not holding my breath. Normally I would not buy into something like this without supporting evidence of it's effectiveness. I saw this advertised in the ATA publication so I thought that lent it some credibility. Maybe not.

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hey Jim. There is a whole bunch more discussion about TiPas at http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Tinnitus/forum

I have not seen any reports good or bad from anyone that has even used the system. From what I have read on the site http://www.tipatinnitus.com/ it appears that it is only a reduction mechanism for hours or days.... and for a "few".

Good luck! Will be awaiting your reports!

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      How is it going Jim? Any relief?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      No, nothing.

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      ok.

Is there any instruction about how long it may take for one to find some relief?

Can you give any description about this method?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Calin,
      It is stated that you may get instant relief...or not. You may get temporary or lasting relief...or none. There is long list of how and why the product may not work for you. Which is pretty much what I expected. If it was effective for even ten percent of people that would be huge news and we would all know about it already.

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      $50 for a 50-Play Pack.

Maybe I'm the only one, but...
      Pricing, at least, seems outrageous.

What's also interesting is that there are no free plays (trial) when you install the app, you have to actually pay the $50 upfront and hope that the sounds might have an effect.

60% of people notice improvement (for hours and in some cases for days?). Both those numbers are way too high (although solely based on my gut feeling and what people have written about their experiences with RI). Some do notice the RI effect, but it usually doesn't last for hours, does it?

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Here's hoping we get to see lots of new research and results from already ongoing ones this year :)

8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I see - thanks Jim.... and Markku

9. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      How is your treatment going?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I have continued to use it daily. As I said in previous posts, the only reason I considered it was because it saw advertised on the ATA website. It has done a couple of things for me, (1)weakened the credibility of ATA and (2) allowed me to have first hand experience with it. I would not recommend it.

11. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Ok - thanks!

12. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Jim did you use the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones as recomended

Joe

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Hi Joe,
      No I did not. I have accumulated a fairly extensive collection of quality headphones & earbuds including noise canceling and non noise canceling etc. I could not see how the Sennheiser could possibly be the only headphone that could reproduce the sound accurately enough. I'm no sound engineer but Tipa is just a series of tones, it's not magic. Any headphone with decent frequency response should be able to reproduce it. Just my opinion though. I did post a question to the Dr. who invented the product about the headphones. He gave me a very shallow answer about how the Sennheisers were the only headphones tested that worked. No explanation of why they somehow worked and no others worked. No explanation of how the testing was conducted. The Sennheiser HD280s are good headphones but they are not the best available so I fail to see why they would be the only ones to work. I would love to hear from someone with some actual knowledge of sound science weigh in here.

14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      There is just no way that Sennheier HD 280 Pro would be the only working headphones for Tipa Tinnitus.

There are so much better headphones on the market and producing sound isn't magic as Jim said.

And I highly doubt that any kind of double-blind, placebo controlled methods were used to come to the conclusion of HD280 Pro only working. Gosh.

The HD280 Pro "requirement" only makes Tipa Tinnitus more fishy in my mind....

15. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I agree with you both, there are headphones with better frequency responses than the Sennhiser HD 280 Pro, I think if Tipa really worked it would be Headline News on our Televisions.