TMJ — Minor Tinnitus Back

Discussion in 'Support' started by dm222, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      Hello,

My jaw is moving around, sometimes I can close my mouth and the teeth will fit, sometimes the jaw moves 1mm forward and then it doesn't close properly because the teeth won't fit.

My jaw feels sore, and my ears get full if I chew too much... and I hear crackling in the ear...

Tinnitus is back but not as bad as it was last year.

Is this TMJ?

Thanks.

2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.

Yes.

3. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Sounds like TMJ dysfunction. I have some of these symptoms as well. Go to your dentist and see if they notice any signs of teeth grinding, and see what they recommend in terms of treatment. Sometimes they'll recommend a night guard to keep pressure off your jaw at night if you grind/clench. Or a soft foods diet/warm towel compress & jaw exercises for a week or two to see if the symptoms alleviate itself. Do you have clicking of the jaw or lock jaw where you can't close your mouth because the joint is stuck?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      The jaw doesn't get stuck, just that half of the time it seems to be in a different position.

Not much, 1 to 2 mm but enough for the teet not to fit each other.

I hear crackling in the jaw and hear chewing.

5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Get to your Dentist and get a mouth splint. I had a severe bout of secondary tinnitus through TMJ when it went.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It's hilarious how TMJ/TMD and Hearing damage seem to have cross-overs regarding the trigeminal nerve but no one is going to cross discipline research it to figure out what the hell is going on.

The audiologist willl deny dental problems have anything to do with an otological problem.
      The dentist will agree vice versa.

Most people with tinnitus seem to have some hearing loss and some jaw issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. MartinNYC
      Elated

MartinNYC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      Be examined by a really good ENT physician. I experienced a raging tinnitus for the first time recently, which my ENT determined was caused by TMJ issues. He gave me helpful guidelines for not aggravating my TMJ (such as avoiding hard foods) and recommended a physical therapist, although I am under the care of another PT. My tinnitus has been subsiding.

• Like Like x 1