TMJ MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Jul 18, 2018.

1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      So I just got the results back of my TMJ MRI and I think I may know what is causing my Tinnitus. It seems I have stage III internal derangement on my left side (Displaced Disc Without Reduction, chronic closed lock) and stage II internal derangement on my right side (Displaced Disc With Reduction). There was also effusion, or moderate sized pockets of fluid, in both joint spaces.

I will begin iontophoresis at the University of Minnesota ASAP on Monday. However, I have spoken with the Orofacial Surgeons at Mayo Clinic, and they offer a relatively new procedure that might be able to help these issues.

Anyways, has anyone else had an MRI of their TMJ and if so what was the result? Please let me know if you have an actual dx'ed TMJ from MRI. Important to note that it is the only test that can actually confirm or deny TMJ. Conebeams, X-ray, CTs etc can not because they can't visualize cartillage, so it is impossible to tell your disc location without. More importantly, that is the only way to tell the level internal derangement.

Anyways, is there anyone else out there?

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Sorry, couldn't afford the MRI. Before and after having insurance. Keep us posted about treatment!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bummer :( what are you doing for treatment?

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Is that good news? (I mean, is there a reasonable treatment that could lead to the reduction of T?)

5. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used a chiropractor to put it back in place. Then exercises the chiro gave me and a massage therapist. Quit the exercises, as I realized they were pissing things off and making my jaw pop out, for about 5 months. Then started up so more natural stretching ones. My jaw still clicks here and there, but it is so much better. No more catching and my jaw has not dislocated since September. I did ultra sound on my TMJ over the last month. Now I'm switching to castor oil to hopefully finish breaking up the scare tissue. I do self message here and there on it.

Hopefully it clears up on its own naturally.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just an update...if anyone is following. I will be meeting two surgeons at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester on September 6th. From my understanding, Mayo usually doesn't take on cases or consultations unless they think they can provide a positive outcome. Basically all surgeons at Mayo are ranked on patient outcomes. Anyways, hopefully I can learn more about this and its connections to Tinnitus then.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      Where did you get your TMJ MRI done? So then your TMJ appliance would not help your noise? I still have annoying static sound.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I got my MRI done at CDI in St. Louis park. They are the only place in the Metro that really has a TMJ/D protocol. Unfortunately an appliance most often won't do much to help solve the problem, which is disc displacement. If you don't have disc displacement, then an appliance might help.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll find out soon. It is ok news. Good for the ears, bad for the jaw.

10. Alex99

Alex99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What land do you hail from that orders an MRI for TMJD?

Wow!

Anyways jk. I realize you are from the States which is 100 years ahead of my country in medical treatments.

Here, they just make you live with it or use a simple panoramic xray, make a splint and sometimes braces.( All guesswork! )

It only costs $16,000 and no insurance companies cover it.

Good luck with your surgery! Please do lots of research prior.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yikes! I am very fortunate that I live near the highest ranked hospital system the States (assumedly one of the best in the world, also) has to offer (Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minnesota)

I have heard many horror stories about TMJ surgeries! But alas, I think surgery techniques have changed quite a bit in the last few years, and they can do things different/better at Mayo.

12. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      Maybe try prolotherapy to your jaw? There is Dr. Mark Wheaton that does it as well as others in the Twin Cities location.

https://www.practicalpainmanagement...ose-prolotherapy-pain-chronic-tmj-dysfunction

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    14. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      @kelpiemsp hello... just wanting to know. Who advised you to do a TMJ MRI. A maxillofacial surgeon?? The dentist?? Or pain management doctor?? I have TMJ since like 6 years but doctors never ordered a TMJ MRI.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2018
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went to a TMJ center at a university where I met with all three over the course of about 6 months. It was a group decision. I think it was a DDS PhD who was working as a TMJ professor though that actually ordered it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Joe159

Joe159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Insurance declined my MRI initially. My dentist said she expected that then did some sort of routine paperwork/appeal. Due to having tinnitus in addition to TMJ it was then approved. Due to the tinnitus.

17. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You always have to dazzle the insurance guys with "bullshit" and re-appeal all the time to get anything approved.

18. jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      @kelpiemsp Did you ever have surgery for your TMJ? I’ve been diagnosed the same. Displaced discs with fluid, etc. It’s been recommended that I have a surgery to flush out the joints and remove the fluid. I was wondering what your outcome was?

Thanks!

19. Mojojojo71

Mojojojo71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 3019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know for sure but suspect TMJ
      My MRI shows:

Right TMJ Anterior dislocation of the articular disc in closed-mouth position. In the open position, the disc is not recaptured and is displaced farther anteriorly by the condyle.

Left TMJ Indication of a cyst formation. The articular disc is displaced farther anteriorly by the mandibular condyle.

I also have arthritis in my jaw

I am not sure what my options are, but I am trying a cortisone shot in my TMJ joints in a week and a half and hoping for some relief with all of it!

20. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Keep us posted. I'm very curious how all this works for you.

I know once I got the worst of my TMJ calmed down a lot my T stuff eased up a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I need to get TMJ MRI. My left jaw is so crunchy and clicks and the hissing noise is horrible.

22. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I am seeing the same at MN Head and Neck. I first need to get an TMJ MRI done after I get a referral. My noise is terrible in left TMJ side, loud static hissing.

23. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I was almost insane last night. I woke up during the night with the most obnoxiously loud noise I’ve ever had. I took a zolpidem plus clonazepam and now am better this morning. My left ear still is buzzing loudly though. I think it’s TMJD related. I did put my TMJ appliance in after my alarming noise during the night.

I’m going to get a TMJ MRI and possibly a steroid injection to my left TMJ. I cannot live with this noise in my left ear. Could be the tensor tympani and stapedius muscles.

25. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
    26. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I had a recent TMJ MRI and here is the results. I'm still looking for relief from my tormenting noise like all of us. I do get some inconsistent relief from the gabapentin/klonopin combo and sometimes anti-inflammatory meds and supplements.

img153.jpg

27. annV
      Fine

annV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      What is the suggested treatment plan or is there any??

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    28. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      Not really. I talked to the Dr. by phone and asked for an order for a steroid injection but she wouldn’t do it. With a grade 5 internal derangement it would seem justified, especially with my awful noise. She didn’t think my noise was related to it as I have very little pain. It is really horrible atm. I do have a mouth appliance with bands on it for sleep apnea and TMD. I will seek out someone that will give me an injection as the noise is really maddening. I’m also out of clonazepam.

29. jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      Hi @just1morething,

I have pretty severe TMJD, and have had the MRI as well. I was recommended to have the Arthroscopy procedure to go in and clean out the fluid build up around my joints and recapture them.

I've taken the last year to try all other methods before the surgery route, as TMJ surgery is not always successful. PT has helped a lot. I have also had steroid injections into my TMJ. These helped me quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I’ll probably still end up needing the surgery.

I saw you’re in MN. Maybe ask for a referral to Dr. Jonathan Fillmore at the Mayo in Rochester?

I hope you’re able to get some relief!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @just1morething Most of what is noted above is not a cause for tinnitus, unless degenerative issues of C spine affect muscle tension, but that would not appear to influence what is needed by way of TMJ.

Series 2, images 8 -14 > This can be a cause of tinnitus - More so if this inflammation has traveled to ear and to neck. Also last two sentences under Left TMJ. Joint infusion with inflammation.

Right TMJ: Compartment effusions - again inflammation.

Under Conclusion: 1,2 and 3. Inflammation. This can be somatic.

You may need some powerful meds to control inflammation that are tinnitus friendly. Any inflammation is those areas can associate to tinnitus and inflammation within these areas can travel. Other treatment to discuss with your dentist is 15% dextrose, 0.2% lidocaine for mandibular condyle. It does not appear that you need this for the zygomatic arch or associated areas.