TMJ MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Jul 18, 2018.

1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      So I just got the results back of my TMJ MRI and I think I may know what is causing my tinnitus. It seems I have stage III internal derangement on my left side (Displaced Disc Without Reduction, chronic closed lock) and stage II internal derangement on my right side (Displaced Disc With Reduction). There was also effusion, or moderate sized pockets of fluid, in both joint spaces.

I will begin iontophoresis at the University of Minnesota ASAP on Monday. However, I have spoken with the Orofacial Surgeons at Mayo Clinic, and they offer a relatively new procedure that might be able to help these issues.

Anyways, has anyone else had an MRI of their TMJ, and if so, what was the result? Please let me know if you have an actual dx'ed TMJ from MRI. It's important to note that it is the only test that can actually confirm or deny TMJ. Conebeam, X-ray, CT, etc. can not because they can't visualize cartilage, so it is impossible to tell your disc location without. More importantly, that is the only way to tell the level internal derangement.

Anyways, is there anyone else out there?

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      Just an update, if anyone is following. I will be meeting two surgeons at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester on September 6th. From my understanding, Mayo Clinic usually doesn't take on cases or consultations unless they think they can provide a positive outcome. Basically all surgeons at Mayo Clinic are ranked on patient outcomes. Anyways, hopefully I can learn more about this and its connections to tinnitus then.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I had a recent TMJ MRI and here is the results. I'm still looking for relief from my tormenting noise like all of us. I do get some inconsistent relief from the gabapentin/klonopin combo and sometimes anti-inflammatory meds and supplements.

img153.jpg

4. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      What is the suggested treatment plan or is there any?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really. I talked to the Dr. by phone and asked for an order for a steroid injection but she wouldn’t do it. With a grade 5 internal derangement it would seem justified, especially with my awful noise. She didn’t think my noise was related to it as I have very little pain. It is really horrible atm. I do have a mouth appliance with bands on it for sleep apnea and TMD. I will seek out someone that will give me an injection as the noise is really maddening. I’m also out of clonazepam.

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is my most recent TMJ imaging. Right is my left TMJ that is worn out. I would be a different person if a prosthetic left TMJ made my tinnitus go away.

IMG_0415.jpeg

• Hug Hug x 2