TMJ Treatment

Discussion in 'Support' started by Carlyi, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I have been searching high and low what is causing my tinnitus.
      I have a clicking jaw and intense muscle pain on the right side of my jaw where the tinnitus is on it's loudest.

I also have ear pain, and my doctor thought I have ETD.
      Never did I realize that there are actually muscles in our face causing both these symptoms!

Read the part below:

Medial and Lateral Pterygoids – are both well hidden by the lower jaw bone. The medial pterygoid muscle causes pain in the temporomandibular joint and the ear, which increases when you bite down on something. It can also refer pain to the back of the mouth, hard palate, and tongue, and can make it hurt to swallow. Tightness in this muscle can make it difficult to open the mouth wide. Moreover, a sense of stuffiness in the ear can come from a tight medial pterygoid when it prevents the Eustachian tube (in the middle ear) from opening.

The lateral pterygoid is the number one myofascial source of pain in the cheek and mimics sinus pain. It can also stimulate sinus secretions. Many “sinus attacks” are simply are the effects of lateral pterygoid trigger points.. Tension in this muscle tends to pull the lower jaw forward and disarticulate, or partially dislocate the jaw joint. Popping and clicking of the jaw is the result of this​

I'm feeling a lot of muscle knots in the right side of my jaw, exactly where those jaw muscles are.
      I have been massaging them now for a long time and i can feel the tightness in my face slowly disappearing.

Even my ear doesn't feel stuffy anymore.

Maybe this helps for other people that have TMJ as well.

I'm going to get a few dry needling sessions done on Monday on those trigger points as well and hopefully this will cure this nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi @Carlyi,

Glad you are feeling better.

Are you going to an oral surgeon for treatment?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      i already went there they are going to clean out my jaw joint in a couple of months time :) thank you!

4. Lisacb

Lisacb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatic tinnitus / head injury
      Carlyi,

Did you have you jaw joint cleaned out? Can you give an update of what happened with the dry needling.

Thanks,
      Lisa

5. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Interview some massage therapists for TMJ. If you find one who knows what they're doing it will help so much. My jaw was knocked out of place and it couldn't be put back until the muscles loosened. I also had muscles trembles throughout my jaw with clicking and popping. Ear pain too.

My jaw is in place but I still keep with the massages as you're muscles and cartilage now need to move back.

You can do TMJ massages and exercises. I have a routine of them I do constantly throughout the day. However, having someone who truly knows how to work the muscles of the jaw and put them back to order really helps. A lot of my ear pains have been gradually going away. I also have pressurization issues and they've been gradually fading as well with treatment.

If you find a good physical therapist they can also treat TMJ, but few know how to really massage the muscles.

Hopes this helps.

6. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I have extremely bad TMJ and use a splint at night designed by a jaw specalist. Even after getting this my T remains but my jaw pain is gone. Find a good specalist in your area!

7. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      does the t get lower in volume or had it no effect? today i have the diagnosis of tmj as well, but with no pain etc. It is worth to give it a try?

8. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      No effect. But it helped my jaw feel better.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Daisymay
      Thinking

Daisymay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started after going to a loud concert
      @Carlyl I have TMJ too and have been doing my own TMJ massages sometimes twice a day and I take one or two motrin for inflammation and i have notice an improvement. My ears aren't stuffy anymore, so I do believe the massages are helping. Still have ear pain in my left ear when I yawn though and at random times. Getting my TMJ splint in a week. I am curious what is dry needling?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      It's similair to accupuncture but than on the jaw muscles. Did you get some relief from using the splint?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi, i didn't get my jaw cleaned out. I canceled it because i have read some bad experiences from other people that had it done. I didn't want to risk making it worse.

The dry needling helped me, but i made very slow progress. TMJ can take ages to heal unfortunatly :(

A few weeks ago my jaw felt amazing! but than i felt that some kind of shift happened in my jaw, like it moved somehow and than all my muscles were tight again! The ringing is worse now, and i have pain in my jaw joint, altough i have less popping in my ears and i felt like my jaw is moving in the right position.. Is this similair to what happened to you?

12. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Yeah. After my accident my jaw popped right back in place and the ringing was mild and then slowly was almost gone. My nose was broken so I slept on my back and apparently I was doing things to keep it well without even knowing. Then 3 months later I was using hot compresses for my ears (my doctor suggested I was having ear aches from the a cold, shouldn't have listened to him). This made my jaw muscles malleable and I guess in my sleep I pressed my jaw so hard into my pillow (had t side sleep for the compresses) I basically popped it out of place and messed up all my muscles, nerves, cartilage out of place. The ring that was almost gone became a symphony of noise.

That then led to my almost healed neck muscles going out.

My jaw will be doing fine and then suddenly something will shift. December to about last night was the longest stretch that my jaw didn't pop and crackle. Hope that helped.

I should say in short that sounds very similar to what happens to me know. I'm constantly working on keeping my jaw muscles happy. Posture, exercises, and massages.