TMS for Depression: Can It Help with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tom B., Jan 1, 2016.

1. Tom B.

Tom B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      I am going to try Brainsway Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for my depression. It seems logical if my mood improves so will other conditions like tinnitus, neuropathy and chronic pain. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It won't make your tinnitus quieter, but it can help you manage better. You need to get your depression treated.

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      There are TMS studies on going for T as well. Research them and try to combine them into your treatment and of course report here how it goes! :)

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I believe that @snow86 has mentioned (I think he did, correct me if I'm wrong, snow) that tms made his tinnitus much worse.

5. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...atments-rtms-tdcs-tacs.326/page-3#post-142619

Such crapshit "therapy"...Lets just overstimulate (fry) your brain (and auditory cortex) and see what happens. They will even make you sign a disclaimer because you will very probably get worse. Patients for this therapy are just labrats

Im probably an exception (like @Geo )...everything I tried in the last 2 years made my T much worse and added several sounds.
      Seeing clueless doctors and taking antidepressants / stuff like rTMS were the biggest mistakes.

6. sandip
      Scared

sandip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2008, became much worse August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened after rTMS treatment for depression
      I was treated for depression with TMS and it made my tinnitus much worse and also gave me hyperacusis. Also the TMS had no effect on my depression. I would be very cautious. I wish I had never gone for TMS.

7. leon

leon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      accustic tramua
      I tried tms therapy for 10 season. Unfortunately doesn't work at All(

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If nothing else, tms would require a special protocol for tinnitus. Following the established depression protocol seems unlikely to do much for t from what I've read, the research showing improvements in tinnitus use entirely new protocols. TMS is just a technology, like an MRI.