To Anyone with Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS), Can Ear Infections Make It Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiel, May 26, 2018.

1. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Currently going through a bad Ear Infection in both ears. For anyone with TTTS (where you're Ear vibrates in response to sound), has it ever gotten worse when you were sick? Did it get better once you got better? I ask because, ever since I got sick, my TTTS has been going crazy

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Also, haven't been sleeping well lately at all. Perhaps that's contributing, too?

3. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I personally don't see a direct causal link between an infection and a more active tensor tympani.

But what could be happening, is that you are feeling quite distressed as a result of that infection. Coupled with some sleep deprivation, your emotional impact around sounds might be even stronger than usual, causing this highly psychosomatic muscle to be even more hyperactive than usual.

On the other hand, sound sensitivity may also increase, I think, as a response to an infection in the ear. You may have some mild hyperacusis going right now, because of it. That's why it may very well subside once you get that infection under control, as your ears will regain their normal sound thresholds again.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Thanks for answering. Yeah, that could make sense, and yeah, I'm pretty stressed out right now. I have enough problems with my ears without an infection (in both ears, no less) making things worse, lol. Hopefully, this will subside soon. I'm about halfway through my medicine now, so here's hoping.

5. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have Stuffy Nose/ Blocked Eustachian Tubes? I found out that rinsing my nose with lukewarm salt water (not from tap) improves the tension behind my eardrums. I have allergies currently and it's worse but only in one ear at a time (its worse in the most blocked side of my nose).