To Take Cymbalta or Not?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Katvanallen, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was already dealing with extreme anxiety and postpartum depression before the onset of T. Now I need to make the decision to start cymbalta or not. I will mention I was on my 6th day of lexapro when the T started. But I don't know if I'm convinced that's what caused it.

2. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      To be honest I wouldn't dare to take it if your T started when taking a medication of the same class

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @3ri0w well it's actually in a different class lexapro is an ssri cymbalta is an snri but it's still terrifying. I has taken Lexapro in higher doses twice before in my life after each baby with no tinnitus.I started taking it again after baby number 3 I don't understand how it could just now affect me. I was under and still am under enormous stress pre t.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      It's hard to know if SSRI's or SNRI's can cause tinnitus or help with it? I have some Cymbalta but I'm scared to take it. I remember some of the side effects of those types of meds. It seems we need something to break up the "loop" of the noise but hard to know if Tricyclics would be a better option. I may try Nortriptyline 25mg again but hate the dry mouth side effect. I'm trying WNG's but hard to tell if this only will help? Good luck @Katvanallen in whatever you try!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had the cymbalta now sitting on my kitchen table just staring at it every day. Don't know what's going to make up my mind. My psychiatrist thinks I'm nuts basically for blaming the lexapro for the onset and is advising me to try the cymbalta. Ugh decisions

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
    7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Im sorry but i dont think your psychiatrist know what is like to live with tinnitus,
      so dont take that advice, i would recommend to seek counseling and others ways to manage depression and anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Stared taking it today. Nothing happening so far.

9. inadmin

inadmin Member

I took it for several months and it had no effect on my T

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Day 2 nothing has changed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Watching this thread , I feel like I need something to deal with the depression that comes with this shit.
      Hate drugs though...big dilemma.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Ever tried therapy?

13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      What kind of therapy ?

14. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Psychotherapy against depression.

15. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I feel her pain, I had to take a lorazepam yesterday.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm in therapy and it is helpful I would recommend it if your struggling.

17. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, my depression is caused by T , I would be perfectly happy otherwise, talking to yet another person that has no idea what I am going through does not sound helpful ? but what do I know ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I benefit from it but everyone is different.

19. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      When my T started it ripped my life apart. I was losing my mind, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, no one could talk to me or I'd freak on them. I isolated myself from the rest of the world and I wouldnt leave my house, I pretty much sat here and cried all day and night. I would leave the house at 4 am and walk the streets with rage and I'd be screaming. I suffered from anxiety attacks when I was young and my father recommended I take some ativan to see if it calms me down. He as well as the rest of my family couldn't watch me suffer the way I was. I read everything about the side affects about benzo's and how they are ototoxic and how addictive they are but I had no choice I had to take them. I started taking 1 mg of ativan at night before sleep and it would knock me out cold and I would stay asleep for at least 5-6 hours. Ativan worked wonders for me, I started sleeping, my anxiety calmed down and most importantly my T lowered from extremely loud to moderate. After taking it for 3 weeks I stopped taking it the past 2 days, The first night I slept like a champ but last night not so much. The fear and anxiety of addiction wants me to stop but the fear of tinnitus and lack of sleep wants me to take more. I'll see how it goes but right now I'm still in a better place then I was 3 weeks ago.

20. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection

I started seeing a therapist last week. I look forward to seeing him again.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ChrisfromCanada I'm in the same boat, I have been taking a zanex every night for the past 2 weeks or else I don't sleep at all. I just started taking klonopin instead last night. Also just started cymbalta 2 days ago hoping that will get me out of this horrible place.

22. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      My doctor prescribed Ciprolex 5 weeks ago and my psychiatrist recommended I take it. I stuck it on the meds shelf and look at it every day wondering if today is the day I start taking it but I don't have the balls to. I am going to try to get through it the way I am right now, burning frankincense when I feel anxious, use breathing techniques and cognitive behaviour distractions and take ativan when I need it to sleep. I have tried magnesium in low lose(200mg) the past few days and it has helped me to fall asleep but it doesn't help me stay asleep . I'm about to enjoy a homemade burger and actually eat something I enjoy and hope it lifts my spirits and I will take it one day at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    23. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @Jake007 did it help? I know you've been having a rough go from our conversations. I hope it did its job and calmed you down

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ChrisfromCanada yea it took me a long time to make a decision. I had already had some major trauma before this happend so my stress levels were already through the roof :(

25. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it helped alot, lowered volume down by at least half and calmed me down alot.

26. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection

Yup me too. It's actually stayed at that level too for the most part. I also made some serious changes to my diet and so far so good. The past 2 weeks have been much better then the first month.

27. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      how'd the klonopin work for you?
      I've had them awhile, I've been trying to battle it mentally but I was losing, don't know if it's cause the surgery is getting closer or what. After a week of very little sleep and working in gave in and took one.

28. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection

Based on research I have done ativan seems to be the "lightest" of the benzo's but who the hell knows. Seems like once you get T all these other medical problems physical and psychological seem to come with it and we worry about trwating those conditions because we are more scared of T then the conditions that can actually really hurt us.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katvanallen

Katvanallen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jake007 the klonopin is good its not like xanex to were it hits you and you can tell it's more gradual and you just feel normal instead of overly relaxed. I felt like I was nodding off to normal sleep.

30. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nodding off to normal sleep had to feel amazing. It took 1mg lorazepam and 6mg melatonin same time to get me to sleep. I diffently didn't nod off to sleep. Tonight I'm doing beer and melatonin. Beer has always, always got me to sleep. It's the waking up at 2or3 then not being able to fall back asleep again that's getting me.