Tomorrowland and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ryan W, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Ryan W
      Frustrated

Ryan W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure I think
      Hi basically am 28, have tinnitus 6 years, done the whole closed the world out and no enjoyments in life in fear of making it worse, but really would love to experience the 3 day Tomorrowland, I've got musician earplugs that cost 115 pound with the strongest dB, can't just mind what the dB is exactly, has anyone with tinnitus been and experienced it?

Tickets go on sale in the next week or 2 and am really tempted but as per usual the big T is holding me back, it's bad enough as it is a and don't fancy it getting permanently worse, I no there would definitely be bad spikes, just hope it would settle a few days after it. Advice greatly appreciated :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Personally I would not.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I wouldn't.
      But I got mine from a concert. So I have negative associations to loud events. But 3 days seems a bit long, your ears won't be able to rest.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You have to ask yourself these questions

1- Can I cope with my tinnitus now ?
      2- Have I reached a stage where im emotionally not bothered by my tinnitus ?....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      I'm going through the exact same thing, I've got tickets to a 2-day festival in June and I'm not sure if I should go. Currently my T is extremely intrusive so I don't think any further noise exposure would do me good at all. Such a shame because all of my friends are going.

6. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      At least you've got your answer...

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, just going to have to deal with the depressiveness of seeing my ENTIRE friend group go and have 2 days of fun without me. This sucks.

8. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I get it but it's only 2 days. Save your hearing (at least for now, you don't seem ready for loud events) so you can have days and days of fun with your friends after that.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good point, I'll re-evaluate where my T is at in June and make a considered decision then.

10. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello,

I know that T is not only very hard to live with but also very frustrating...

But IMO I would not take the risk to go to such very loud events like a music festival...

Otherwise, are you able to work and see your friends ?

Best,

Christophe

11. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      If you have 30 db plugs why not? My T is SO loud, I hear it literally all the time. But I still shoot guns, use a jack hammer, etc. I work in construction. Nothing makes it worse if I'm wearing ear plugs. Go for it!

12. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I'm still able to work and see friends, even though the only thing now that properly masks my T is the shower.

I would certainly be playing with fire if I went to the festival and stood right near the front with just my 33Db ear plugs in, for a few hours at a time. However I'm planning to wear the 33Db plugs as well as 36Db ear defenders over them, stand near the back, and take regular breaks. Hopefully that'll be enough and I'll still get to see some of my favourite artists live, albeit they'll be further away that I would have ideally liked.

13. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      TMWL is a big open air event, held in this kind of natural arena setting. You can stand all the way to the back and have a great overview of the stage. But there's gonna be some fireworks too and loud bass thumping for hours on end.
      Luckily you can chill out at the campsite, there's plenty of animation outside of the main site as well. If you are going, i would take magnesium, nac and drink plenty of water (limit alcohol and nicotine). There's also plenty of healthy food options there, so i would opt for that as well.
      Personally i would not go, but then again, i am not a big fan of such events in the first place (and it's like 20 mins by car for me haha).

14. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Why would you limit alcohol? Just wondering.

15. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Don't go.

16. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alcohol clouds your sense of judgement, so you're more likely to end up in front of a stack of speakers when drunk (just browse this forum to see what happens then). It also dehydrates you, which is bad for your ears/body/overall health. Moreover it is slightly neurotoxic in the long run, and can cause inflammation in the body. Have a couple of drinks to get into the mood, but don't overdo it.

17. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I got my T and H from Ultra Music Festival. :( It hurts to admit this.

Well, probably it was not the only cause because I've been having sinus issues, neck and shoulder pain, tension headaches, stress, anxiety, depression plus a love for blasting music into my ears using earphones for hours, but UMF was the definitive straw that broke the camel's back.

I wish I could go to Tomorrowland. I had planned to this year but oh well, life is what happens when you're making plans.

My instinct is to tell you not to go but if you really must, be very careful. A few days of fun isn't worth a lifetime of misery.

• Agree Agree x 4
    18. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How close were you to the front/to the speakers?

I'm trying to gage whether it would be safe standing near the back at an outdoor festival, if I was wearing both ear plugs and ear muffs.

20. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Standing stupidly close and wearing improperly fitted foam plugs that I soon took off because they kept falling out and no one else was wearing protection. :(

Aaaand that's all I can say for now, I'm sorry. It really hurts me to accept the cause of my suffering let alone talk about it. I spoke up only because I don't want others to go through what I am going through. Maybe one day when I am able to forgive myself, I can be a better advocate for responsible raving. Sometimes the noise is more dangerous than the drugs.

• Hug Hug x 3
    21. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I would totally go, but only on the day after tomorrow ;).

22. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      How long were you there for? When i was naive wirh my t i was at the front watching a band at an outdoor festival and my ear plugs well out and I couldn't find them but i stayed there and watched the rest of the set- about an hour or so. Luckily nothing changed.

23. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      honestly I'd avoid an EDM festival. EDM is about "the experience" more than the music and as such tends to be much louder than concerts. I've been to more of both than I can count.

The other issue with dance music is its continuous. The music stops once an hour for the DJs to switch out their laptops. On top of the music being continuous its highly compressed - so essentially the waveform is at top volume the whole time.

Save the tons of money you'd spend on going and go on a relaxing vacation. If you really want to go - pick one day to go. If your ecstasy is real it'll only work one day anyways ;). 3 days is playing with fire.

• Like Like x 3
    24. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I guess it's a matter of luck as well? I know a lot of people with a very mild form of T who do nothing different as before. Maybe use an earplug from to time time, but nothing else. People on this forum tend to be a bit more careful.

25. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      people on this forum have intrusive tinnitus. I had mild tinnitus for years and didn't even realize I had it. Since my issues are intermittent I have days that were like before my acoustic trauma. I recognize it as T now, but at the time I thought it was just "normal head noise". Mostly only heard it in a totally silent room, like bedtime. Very constant and non abrasive sound.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ok so it is very good if you can still see your friends and also work... Me right now I cannot do it...

To be honest I think it is not worth it to take the risk to increase your T going to this Event, but I also understand why you would like to go there with your friends...

By the way, do you also have H ?

27. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Go for it and enjoy it as if there is no tomorrow......because tomorrow may become very difficult afterall that trama you put your ears through.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I know it's a huge risk, but concerts have been a big part of my life and I don't want to give them up completely.

I think I'll see how my T is in a few months and take it from there.

No I don't have H but got it very mildly for a few days after my first big noise exposure since I first got T.

29. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      If you're life is based on attending this event and being with your friends then go. But do remember there are or can be consequences. Personally 3 days of fun for a possible lifetime of regret isn't worth it to me. I love music, but I'll never attend a concert for fear of damaging what's already broken...

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ok you will see then...

How did you get your T ? What was this big noise exposure ?