Tonal Audiogram with Increasing/Decreasing Volume

Discussion in 'Support' started by jpr992, Sep 23, 2020.

1. jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear members,

An ENT doctor told me that the audiograms with tones that increases in volume until the patient rises the hand are not feasible. He told me that the correct way to do this is to start with audible tones and decrease the volume until the patient doesn’t hear them, rising his hand in that moment to indicate this. In addition, to diagnose tinnitus and hyperacusis issues, the ENT also told me that a high frequency audiogram (also known as extended audiogram) is necessary.

Has any of you done the extended audiogram this way? Did you feel comfortable with that test? I ask this because I’m afraid that the volume of the tones could be too high in the beginning of the tests for someone with hyperacusis.

Best regards.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      Sorry to hear of your struggles with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I hope you improve over time. A lot of people do.

That’s the first ENT I’ve heard recommend testing an extended audiogram. Generally, ENTs will run you through the usual protocol of a standard audiogram (up to 8000 Hz) and maybe some additional tests like tympanometry. Standard audiograms don’t tell the full picture as they are extremely limited in measuring damage. All frequencies matter, especially the high ones. That sounds like a sensible ENT for once.

To answer your question, audiograms do not usually inflict damage or exacerbate hearing issues. I believe a few people here have gotten temporary spikes, but the majority seem to do fine with handling audiograms. However, trust your ears and if you don’t think they are ready, you don’t have to take any test. Don’t let anyone force you to do something you are not comfortable with.

Aside from the audiogram, I would be careful early on with the “additional” tests that many ENTs like to use such as tympanometry, acoustic reflex, loudness discomfort level, otoacoustic emissions, etc. To be honest, I personally would stay away from these completely as they carry risk of worsening your condition, especially early on in the recovery process. The choice is all yours but playing it safe is always smart. So again, it’s up to you, but audiograms are generally safe and routine. I’ve never had an issue with audiometry testing, and I think you would be just fine. Props to your ENT for not being incompetent.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you for your answer.
      My ENT told me this audiogram covers frequencies up to 14kHz. I'm afraid because my sound sensibility is mostly on high frequencies.
      As anyone here with H has done this extended audiogram with decreasing volume? How did you feel?

Best regards