Tons of Medical Issues — Tinnitus Pushing Me Over the Edge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Noname2020x, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Noname2020x

Noname2020x Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, worsened by medication
      Hello everyone,

I have OCD, ADHD, depression, ulcerative colitis, chronic dry eye, asthma, eczema, animal allergies, nasal problems, and joint problems... and tinnitus. I'm 31 years old. I've had tinnitus for years at a low level but I took Strattera for 4 weeks recently and it went from manageable to crippling. I went to an ear doctor and gave her a bunch of money to basically say "yup, it's tinnitus and there is nothing you can do but CBT." I have reduced my salt intake to 50% daily value and I'm trying the "Back to Silence" method. I'm falling behind on all the stuff I have to do and my anxiety is higher than it's been in a while.

I feel lost, hopeless, and broken. I guess I just needed to let that out. I don't know what to do.

• Hug Hug x 10
    2. 10Kcd

10Kcd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @Noname2020x - I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so much! I'd recommend that you investigate a low dose antianxiety or antidepressant to take the edge off so that you can stabilize.

Personally, I've found 0.25mg of Xanax helps with panic attacks (I've only taken it maybe 5-7 times ever, in a "break glass in case of emergency" way), and 7.5mg of Mirtazapine helps nightly for general emotional stability.

Of course, everyone is different, so consult with a physician or psychiatrist if you go down this route.

Hopefully, you're just experiencing a temporary spike, and it'll come down to a manageable level soon. Wishing you well.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Hey, probably doesn't mean much but I'm rooting for you.

I was getting some insane panic attacks and having a lot of regret. My doctor prescribed me Lorazepam. I take just a tiny 1 mg pill when I'm having the horrible feelings creep up. I keep it to just 2 pills a day max. I found that it helped me learn to manage it some without the pills and some days I limit myself to just 1 pill to help me sleep.

Now I'm not recommending the same thing, but maybe there is something your doctor could prescribe that may help take the edge off in those worst moments? Benzos like Lorazepam are apparently highly addictive, but I certainly don't feel it. I think that's for people taking higher doses.

Keep in mind that in time that people see improvements, whether it be through habituation or actual healing. And I would wager that the majority of people don't follow up to post their success which is unfortunate.

My advice beyond the finding something to relax would keep to the success stories section here. It's helped me out a great deal.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Dave Cooper

Dave Cooper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear wax removal
      Hi there, you can get through this. If you can reflect on all the positives in life, that may be as simple as drinking a hot cup of tea, you will be able to push through. There is a lot of help out there - don’t be afraid to try different things out. Like many on this forum, you will develop your own toolkit.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I agree with others above that you may want to deal with the anxiety first. If prescription drugs are too much for you, you can try natural supplements such as chamomile tea, lemon balm, kava kava etc. Search Amazon for calming anxiety supplements and you will find many products. Besides this, try to get good sleep and do some deep breathing exercises and relaxing exercises. I also use hobbies such as fishing and gardening to help destress the nerves.

Give it time. Good days will come back. I am on a cruise now in the Caribbean enjoying my life. The heck with tinnitus. So hang in there. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. WisconsinGuy

WisconsinGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have health problems also but just enjoy what you can. Your ear ringing will probably subside at some point. You are really early on and in panic and that is the absolute worst time. Give it some time and I bet you will feel better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Noname2020x

Noname2020x Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, worsened by medication
      Thank you all so much for the love and encouragement. I find myself able to forget about it from time to time and I'm doing my best to use the CBT I already know from OCD. I'm also trying to keep my chin up. I'm very thankful for this forum and your support.

I'd like to find an online therapist that can help me with tinnitus. Does someone know of any? I live in NC and have BCBS.

I'd also like to try acupuncture, physiotherapy, and massage. Any thoughts on where to start with those? What types etc.?

Thanks so much.

• Like Like x 1