Tour de France!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LadyDi, Jul 8, 2014.

1. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      A shout out to our many TT friends here from the UK and France, as the Tour de France begins! Yorkshire and London looked lovely on the telly (despite the weather yesterday). And American riders, in our coverage here, were raving about the crowds and enthusiasm. It's one of my favorite sporting events -- wish I was there!

2. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi lady Di ,8 Americans in the tour,watched it all afternoon ,it's become a favourite event all over the world.great seeing all who had the chance to cheer them on in UK.The last few miles into London bit wet,but overall think the riders enjoyed the time spent in the UK,looking forward to seeing what's to come.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Marlene, I really am enjoying seeing the American riders, too -- although sorry to see Mark Cavendish out so early. I've always been a fan of his. Can't wait for the mountain stages. My favorites!

4. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      You and me both,think the mountain stages gets you on the edge of your seat ,willing them on ,but from an armchair ,wish the crowds would give them more room,but that's the enjoyment of the tour for spectators,so far think crowds have been super.Sad Cav out,yes he was my favourite to,but he'll mend,glad he didn't break collar bone,he was upset for Simon Gerrans,they go at such speed accidents will happen.Only one time trials, don't know why,like that to.I like Sagan,excellent young rider.Glad your enjoying it like me and the millions of followers.What time do you watch it ? We get it live,at 2pm British summertime.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I like Sagan, too, and think he will do well this year.

Ugh, so our live broadcasts here start at 7:30 am, as I am getting ready for work. But I usually manage to commandeer the remote control for the TV in my corner of our office later in the morning, so I can see the end. Or I'll watch the play-by-play live on the tour web site. If that doesn't work, our network re-runs the broadcast in the evening, around 8 pm.

Nice to meet a fellow Tour fan! I confess I am no expert on cycling but I do love the race. Wish professional cycling was more popular here, like it is in Europe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Oh no... Froome is out. :( Sounds like it was a brutal day on the course.
      I'll have to watch it on the replay tonight, since I couldn't see the live broadcast today.

7. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi my what a day today was,so many crashes,Frome now out of the tour,3 crashes within short time ,now Sky only have Porte,Frome looked a mess start of race,how he or manager thought he would have got over the cobble stages I don't know,and he came down not on the cobbles,but wet road,so wet even the crowds weren't there in there droves.Andrew Talansky had a good day,another to keep an eye on.Sagan had good day still got his Green Jersey,plus the young riders jersey.Good day had by all,especially me.
      Glad you get to watch it ,good that you have the remote at work,even to watch it in the evening you still get the enjoyment from the race.Im so hooked I watch some of the re runs late evening.
      Cavendish has an operation today ,waiting for tonight's news on word of him,hope it's good.Nice chap.
      Wonder what Wiggins now has to say about Frome out of the race ,as Sky dropped him from tour ,he didn't want to be second to Frome in the tour.Not keen on Wiggins,can't put my finger on it as they say.
      Do enjoy your viewing tonight,maybe the USA could do one leg of the tour,be nice hey. Between UK and France it's only around 20 odd miles across English Channel. Let's know how you viewed today.Had a job to see their faces or gear they were coverered in that much mud.Maybe the USA could do there own tour,like France.its the top race in Europe they all aim for,bit like tennis players aim for Wimbledon.Best wishes Marlene

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Marlene,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the Tour de France! We have a lot of bikers now in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised if one day they had a leg of the race here. It's an exciting sport, for sure!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      • Like Like x 3
    10. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Unless they put barriers up ,you won't stop stop it happening,but they wouldn't be able to do it,I cringe when I see spectators stand out,or run along side of them and pat there backs.Why ? The riders push the onlookers away,but it doesn't stop them doing it,the mountain climbs worst for it.These chaps spend all year ,for this main cycling event,going out in all weathers,competing in races all year,for this main race of the year,that said spectators have been doing this for as long as the race has been going.Officials have no control of the spectators,never will.
      Think the English and French police done a good job in UK,
      The selfies are the pits,couldn't agree more.there not what I call true fans of this sport.Id ban the lot of them.Take phones of them,same for mobile phone users driving whilst using a phone.Selfish beyond belief.
      I'm off to watch the race now thanks for those links.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Karen and @jazz, thanks for joining us! Marlene indeed is a fount of Tour information.

And thanks for the links, Jazz. I can't believe this selfie nonsense, although keeping spectators off the course always has been a problem. I remember the year Armstrong went down when someone got so close to the course, he caught his handlebars in her shopping bag. I guess crowd control because the course is so long; the put barricades up in the towns and cities, but can't do it along the entire stage.

So Marlene, I watched stage 5 replay last night -- what a nightmare. I couldn't keep up with all the crashes. So sad to watch Froome limp off the course and into the car. There was a lot of discussion between the commentators about creating a stage with so many long cobblestone sections, which I guess the Tour added to increase the drama, like the mountain stages. Supporters said it was a good way to determine who was the best all around rider and pointed out many of the crashes happened on the road, vs the cobbles, and the accidents were due to wet weather. Detractors said the sprint and mountain stages were enough to determine rider capability, and the cobbles unfairly put good riders at serious risk. I lean toward the second view. I would rather see more mountain stages than cobble stages.

What a finish today, with a tight pack at the end. Greipel came out of nowhere. No big jersey changes and American Talansky still in ninth overall. On to Epernay tomorrow! Two relatively short climbs.

12. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus

13. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Evening lady Di,yes what a day yesterday,worst weather for cobbles ever,on the news as soon as Cav woke after surgery,he asked for remote to watch the race.Bless him.
      Froome had X ray's today ,not heard any more,he looked so dejected,sad.
      Watched all today,weather not to bad,well no rain like yesterday,more wind,another hazard,as it was more across open land.Greipel had good race,but did he look tired hey,long ride in that wind for all of them.
      I listen out for Talansky,again another good day he had.
      Few yrs ago I saw Plonkers ( idiots ) climb over barriers set up,they caused havoc again,so barriers don't stop them even,that was an uphill climb.They still do it even last years tour.
      I'd ban flags being waved on the road side right in front of them,it winds me up no end.
      Hope you enjoy today's ride.Im loving it ,I start my day early ,so I'm all done work wise.then it's cup of tea,then the race,and I forget my Tinny into the bargain.Have good evening.Oh yes I wrote Frome yesterday ,I live close to the River Frome,here in Dorset.Senior moment . X

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I'd ban flags being waved on the road side right in front of them,it winds me up no end.

The thing that really makes me crazy? Plonkers (I like that word) who run out onto to the course and then run alongside the cyclists, yelling at them. What's that about? They really think they are going to be able to keep up with a bike? And people who touch the riders or grab at them. Lucky the riders don't punch them in the nose.

Sweet dreams and thanks for telling us about Cav.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I haven't seen today's stage, will need to watch it tonight. I heard Contador is out. Sagan still going strong, though. Congratulations to France on their first stage win the other day.

16. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Well as a Yorkshire residence I think we did the Tour de France proud the whole county turned out we have yellow bikes flags street parties it was awesome ! I took my 2 girls and we watch the race set off from the knavesmire (racecourse) in York it was a brill atmosphere - mr cher69 is in the police so had to work by he was posted on the start line so had an great place to watch the riders kick down a gear and speed off. Was fantastic Yorkshire people were so excited and behind the race and it brought a lot of visitors and business to our part of the uk xxx

• Like Like x 1
    17. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Best 3 days in UK,weather couldn't have been better,yes Contador out,he did try to carry on ,but a broken leg, not been to good ,Cav ,Froome.now Contador.Have enjoyed the mountains,think French police have been good keeping the crowds back this year.Sagan doing great .he's adding more points ,always like to see where he is. Today rest day, so I had on the replays,system resumes tomorrow that's me happy.The weather in France has been awful.
      They certainly earn there wages.I was pleased they got a stage .Glad your enjoying it lady Di.
      Cher you lucky thing watching it.Years to come both your girls can say I was there.Yorkshire done good.Same country ,but seeing the York stone buildings then come south and it's thatched roofs mostly,fair few here in Dorset.
      How did you find the traffic situation,or didn't you drive.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Cher, so nice to see u! I really was thinking of you during our mutual "tinnitus anniversary" in May. Can you believe it has been more than a year?

I also was thinking of you as I watched the Tour's early stages in Yorkshire. So glad you were able to see it with your girls (although it must have been hard work for your hubby, with all the crowds.). As I said at the top of the thread, American coverage here was very complimentary to UK fans and host towns/cities.

19. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      @LadyDi I let may go by and pondered this time last year before may I didn't have this :( then I remembered what may / June was like then rembered how far I / we have come !!! I still struggle at times with sleep but I can now cope and think tomo will be a good sleep ;) hope you r we'll friend xxx