TrkB Mediated Protection Against Circadian Sensitivity to Noise Trauma in the Murine Cochlea

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Niklas, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Niklas
      Sunshine

Niklas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      Highlights

•The cochlea possesses a self-sustained circadian clock

•Noise sensitivity is greater during the active phase than during the inactive phase

•The BDNF receptor TrkB modulates the auditory clock

•Activation of TrkB during the active phase prevents noise-induced hearing loss

Summary

Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) is a debilitating sensory impairment affecting 10%–15% of the population, caused primarily through damage to the sensory hair cells or to the auditory neurons. Once lost, these never regenerate [1], and no effective drugs are available [2, 3]. Emerging evidence points toward an important contribution of synaptic ribbons in the long-term coupling of the inner hair cell and afferent neuron synapse to maintain hearing [4]. Here we show in nocturnal mice that night noise overexposure triggers permanent hearing loss, whereas mice overexposed during the day recover to normal auditory thresholds. In view of this time-dependent sensitivity, we identified a self-sustained circadian rhythm in the isolated cochlea, as evidenced by circadian expression of clock genes and ample PERIOD2::LUCIFERASE oscillations, originating mainly from the primary auditory neurons and hair cells. The transcripts of the otoprotecting brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) showed higher levels in response to day noise versus night noise, suggesting that BDNF-mediated signaling regulates noise sensitivity throughout the day. Administration of a selective BDNF receptor, tropomyosin-related kinase type B (TrkB), in the night protected the inner hair cell’s synaptic ribbons and subsequent full recovery of hearing thresholds after night noise overexposure. The TrkB agonist shifted the phase and boosted the amplitude of circadian rhythms in the isolated cochlea. These findings highlight the coupling of circadian rhythmicity and the TrkB receptor for the successful prevention and treatment of NIHL.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(14)00080-3

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Woah! This is some real progress here. You still won't find me volunteering to be a NIHL test dummy.

3. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Can someone please explain to me what this means for us? This research paper just went completely over my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Ricardo AM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 / Hyperacusis since 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      @jer
      Maybe this link help a little to enlight you.....
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

The article attached in this thread (not new / its from february 2014) remind me one of my older and wise family member who have been told me since 20 years ago that i was living too much the night (not rested enough....)
      .....and she is not a researcher!
      Well, it seems it was a good advise and alert to me (since 20 years ago....) that i sadly ignored....

We are a very complex natural machine!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Niklas
      Sunshine

Niklas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Awesome find!!! Very interesting article!!!

• Like Like x 2
    7. django

django Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, aspirin overdose
      I've worked swing shift around loud machines for the past two years and even with hearing protection my tinnitus has gotten worse. I've been trying to figure out what's up, this may be it. Now to find out if this TrkB is something I can get my hands on.

• Like Like x 1