Try This Medication for Tinnitus — Lamotrigine (Epitec)

Discussion in 'Support' started by lroos2, Mar 27, 2015.

1. lroos2

lroos2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I suffer from pretty loud permanent tinnitus, I started developing a mild depression from it, I sought out a psychiatrist to treat these symptoms of tinnitus, knowing that there isn't really a cure for tinnitus itself, made a happy discovery,

I went on Epitec 200mg, it's meant for bipolar disorder and epilepsy, for some very strange reason, it reduced the effects of tinnitus for me by about 80%, I withdrew twice on it, because I forgot to pick it up from the pharmacy etc, and guess what, tinnitus back at 100% literally the very next day, go back on, bam, tinnitus almost gone.

Not saying this will work for everybody, as Tinnitus also have different biological versions, but after the results, I would say this is definitely worth a shot.

Anyways, see if you guys can get a dose, Epitec isn't really a super high schedule drug, but you will have to get a GP to prescribe it, just ask for 2 weeks worth of the stuff, just to see if it works, the anti-tinnitus effects was in effect in about 24 hours / pretty quickly so you'll know right away if it works for the type of tinnitus you have.

Downside is you get fat from Epitec, but rather rock a big booty than a sawmill in your head 24/7.

• Informative Informative x 10
      • Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 3
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks Iroos2. I will research this drug. I am pleased to hear that you have found something that not only has helped your mood, but also your tinnitus volume. Great news!

Would you mind me asking you what the cause of your t onset was? Would you also describe your t (ie somatic? white noise? tonal? peripheral? central?? Did you suffer with hyperacusis also? if so, has this drug made an impact on your sound sensitivity also? How about spikes? any changes? Do you have hearing loss?

Thanks again for reporting this wonderful find. I hope others will benefit from your input.

cheers
      deb

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    3. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
    4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    5. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Could I ask how long you have been on it... total length and also length between those brief withdrawals?

It would be interesting to know whether using it for several weeks (or possibly months) consistently might cause longer term relief. The Autifony trials involve taking the drug for 4 weeks and the company have not ruled out that relief might last after the drug is stopped. Likewise some have had relief from taking Retigabine that lasts after the drug is stopped.

Thanks for posting this - always good to have another reason to hope.

6. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      Another drug produced by GlaxoSmithKline. Someone with some clout should contact these people and make them aware of how close they appear to be to solving or at least relieving the symptoms of this dreaded tinnitus. Retigabine is another one of their products.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      So is Aut00063 ... or atleast a spin off department form GSK called Autifony.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

i have tryed Lamictal (lamotrigine) in the past with a moderate transient good effect on tinnitus. Unluky the positive effects vanished after 2 weeks. We have only 1 certainly. Antiseizure meds play a role in most great part of tinnitus suffers expecially Retigabine and Carbamazepine. Unluky the scientists are sleepings.... i will not ever understand why Autifony is breaking its own resources.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Viking what was your dosage?

Do u still take it or have completely given it up?

If u don't take it , what was the reason for not continuing taking it?

Would like to know.

10. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dear @Afeef

now i don't remember. is passed more time. I'm sure start with 25mg and gone up to 75mg but the side effects became slowly more disturbanting instead the positive effects.
      The only drugs who work on me with an average of 30 to 50% are:
      Trobalt (retigabine / ezogabine): 100 + 200 + 100. Very good results but stopped due to serious health risk (kidney stones, slow hearth, confusion, urinary ritention).
      Tegretol (carbamazepine): single shoot 200mgxday. 50% of relief.
      Clonazepam or Rivotril ...is the same (WARNING ADDICTION) not recommended
      Cinnarizine/stugeron 30% of constant relief.
      Keppra started with 500 going up to 2000mg, big improvement in Hyperacusys but lower efects on tinnitus.

i have tryed also more and more others antiseizures but now excuse me if i don't have much time to show in details all my attempt. I had written a table here but it is clear that all meds are not valid for all. We are not all equal.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...sium-channel-modulator.7295/page-7#post-89737

best wishes

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. cqman
      Pooptoast

cqman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Very useful, thank you so much! You are a pioneer.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I'm trying a low dose of lamictal 50-100mg. Seems to help my noise a bit--softer. I will try to up the dose a bit but also be aware of possible weight gain and a big booty or belly.;)

13. Codaz

Codaz Member

Do you think there is a uniformal T pill if there are multiple forms of T in existence?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      @Codaz Good question. I have noticed in the RTG thread that RTG has been relatively successful regardless of the reasoning. eg. noise trauma, otoxic drugs, stress, ear syringing, etc.

15. Codaz

Codaz Member

Yes, indeed very promising. I still have some major improvement with neck and TMJ physiotherapy so not (yet) trying RTG. but I might in the future if nothing eliminates it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise

Good to know it's helping you a bit but had to know if lamictal is an ototoxic drug or not?

Please keep us updated with your progress.

best of luck with this .

17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some people think Lamictal is ototoxic and others don't. I read the statistics and it seemed a very low probability of it being ototoxic. I will keep you updated as I raise my dosage.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      This may be true but there are other considerations to take into account with this.
      Does it matter the age of the person using this drug? It has some serious side effects and can affect young people quite badly or not at all, but I wonder if the side effects may be harsher for older users of this drug? After all it can affect the eyes, the kidneys, the heart...........I have noticed that most of the people who are trialling this drug here on TT are in their twenties, thirties and maximum forties...........what happens when those in their fifties. sixties or seventies try this drug......do we have any knowledge about this yet? Would / are the side effects more intense if the taker is older?
      any ideas anyone?

20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Amitriptyline additionally functions as a 5-HT2A, 5-HT2C, 5-HT3, 5-HT6, 5-HT7, α1-adrenergic, H1, H2,[33]H4,[34][35] and mACh receptorantagonist, and σ1 receptoragonist.[36][37][38][39] It has also been shown to be a relatively weak NMDA receptornegative allosteric modulator at the same binding site as phencyclidine.[40] Amitriptyline inhibits sodium channels, L-type calcium channels, and Kv1.1, Kv7.2, and Kv7.3voltage-gated potassium channels, and therefore acts as a sodium, calcium, and potassiumchannel blocker as well.[4

21. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      Can you give us any update? @lroos2 what are the side effects other then getting fat?

22. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Any news about using this drug?

my neuro said that this + keppra is combination that helped to some patient with t, in her practise. Another GSK epi drug...

23. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can see it all now. Makes complete sense to me.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I goofed up your post. I still take Lamictal 25mg. I don't think that low dose affects tinnitus, just mood a bit.

25. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This post by @Danny Boy was about Amitriptyline, not about Lamotrigine (Epitec).
      Or he made a mistake...

26. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      how are you now ? are you cured ? or using Trobalt or Carbamazepinum ?

27. cjb2811
      No Mood

cjb2811 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lamictal & Tegretol
      BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS DRUG

I understand that it helped you @lroos2 but Lamotrigine aka Lamictal aka Epitec is what caused my severe tinnitus. The drug has essentially destroyed my life after I was prescribed it for Bipolar Disorder and later diagnosed not bipolar. I took 25 mg for 13 days and the moderate tinnitus I'd had for 5 years turned severe and made me suicidal.

One year later it improved but again I fell into a depression and this time was prescribed Tegretol aka Carbamazepine and after taking it for only TWO days my tinnitus was again SEVERE. Clearly my particular brain wiring is susceptible to anticonvulsant drugs, but I give this warning because they are by no means "miracle pills" and can in fact cause severe damage.

28. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Sorry to hear that @cjb2811. For balance, I have taken it for a long period of time (100 mg) with no effect one way or another on tinnitus. We are all clearly different.

29. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      you stop Carbamazepine ? your Tinnitus come back to previous level ? thanks !

30. cjb2811
      No Mood

cjb2811 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lamictal & Tegretol
      Yes I stopped it after those two days and the tinnitus persisted.