Trying to Habituate to My Tinnitus — Fluctuation Makes It Difficult

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Jul 31, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been diagnosed with ETD, I have had it for 9 months and I feel as though my tinnitus is not going away.

I’ve been on nose spray for 3 months straight and it’s not gone yet so now I’m tapering off of the nose spray, I’m afraid my body will get too used to it.

I’m trying to habituate to my tinnitus, but how am I suppose too when one day my tinnitus is more quiet and is easier to deal with and the next morning I wake up and it’s extremely loud? It fluctuates too much for me to be able to deal with.

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with ETD. Is that something that could be helped with the Eustachi device? I saw it at Target a while back and got it. It is supposed to help unclog ears.

Also, when you say you wake up and it is extremely loud, what kinds of sounds would be able to mask it then?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    3. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sorry, I don't know what ETD is :(

However, the best way to habituate is to get on with life and forget about it.

I know it's hard because it constantly changes, but if you are thinking about it, you will hear it louder.

If you keep busy and do the things you enjoy doing, you will eventually forget about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I also have fluctuating tinnitus. I was told by a therapist, not to focus on the level and when you hear it to tell yourself, "Tinnitus is present". If you don't hear it, say, "Tinnitus is not present". The idea is to downplay the tinnitus as not important.

I also use the Back to Silence method of focusing on the feelings that you notice when the tinnitus is intrusive. There is a thread about it in Success Stories.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Has it Always fluctuated? In other words, had the lows 6 months ago been as quiet as they are today?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey! It’s short for Eustachian tube dysfunction. Thank you for the advice! I do try to stay busy especially at work, but some days it’s so hard.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It has always fluctuated, but it seems when it started I guess I payed more attention to it then and was super loud and stayed that way, as of now I have some days where I can deal with it where it isn’t as loud as usual and then I have days where it’s so loud it’s almost unbearable. It’s sometimes static, sometimes a extremely high pitch hiss. Clicking.
      I thought At one point it was getting better, for I had more days where it was More softer, but it seems to be as it was months ago :(

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the advice, I will for sure try that :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve heard of the Eustachi device, but never tried it, did it work for you?
      I have no hearing loss, but it’s almost unmaskable, I can hear it over everything some days.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Could it be reacting to some moderate noises you had been exposed to?

11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      It definitely popped my ears but but ask a doctor or pharmacist to make sure it would be safe for you to use if you decide to use it. I'm so sorry you have unmask able tinnitus. :( I have that too and it stinks. Fortunately, mine isn't as loud all the time as it was. I have my bad days and good days now which is better than all bad days.

Does a hot shower affect it? Does a cold shower affect it any?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Next visit I’ll try to ask my ENT about the device it may help me, I know using nasal rinse and blowing my nose afterwards pops my ears like crazy. I have my bad days and good days, I’m trying to stay positive. I’m glad your having more good days :) I’ve tried a hot steamy shower and I can’t tell a difference, does it help with yours?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s possible, I haven’t really thought about that, I know when my tinnitus gets so high pitch and loud other noises around me hurts my ears.

14. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thank you! It's weird...there are sometimes when I have got out of a hot shower and the tinnitus was lower but other times I don't notice much of a difference. I'm not sure why. Today I took a cold shower and didn't notice any difference in tinnitus upon getting out yet today it's been fairly low. Since it was around noon time in the summertime the water wasn't as cold as it would be in the winter so my body acclamated quickly to it. I was trying to do an experiment with cold water to manipulate the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system to see if I could lower tinnitus and depression.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Could your T be spiking a day or two after you use a blender or a vacuum cleaner?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try and find a TV series on Netflix or get into a good book with some background music playing. Anything to distract you.

• Like Like x 1