Trying to Stay Positive

Discussion in 'Support' started by Annika1884, May 6, 2018.

1. Annika1884

Annika1884 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hi All,

How do you all cope with day to day life?

Do you work?

Do you have children?

If you had a child before tinnitus would you have another one now?

Do you still go out?

How do you live?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Annika.

I'm pretty new to this whole condition myself. Many of the questions you ask, are ones I have asked myself and others many times already as well. Everyone will find their own way to cope, but a general rule of thumb says that it takes time or radical improvement of the condition. I'm sure the veterans of this forum can tell you more about this. I just try to be patient, to accept it for what it is for now and to keep my stress levels low. Physical exercise and a generally healthy lifestyle also seem to help me.

I'm a university student, which requires a lot of work in concentration in relatively quiet circumstances. I try to achieve the concentration by masking with nature sounds (such a crickets, ocean waves, or sitting outside when the weather's good). I admit, it is not easy and I fear for my exams, but all things cost time and I will find my way forward somehow, as will you.

When it comes to going out, I have taken a much more careful attitude in the last few weeks. I try to give my ears as much rest as I can. I don't frequent loud places like bars at all anymore and don't use headphones even at low volumes. I do try to meet up with good friends every now and then in controlled environments.

I don't have children and I imagine that having to bear the responsibility of raising a child is difficult to combine with this affliction, but at the same time makes life worth living. Having people around you that care for you and you care for are an immense emotional support and personally often get me through the day.

Posting about your personal circumstances and venting on this forum can also help alleviate stress. You will find many like-minded people here that understand what you are going through and will offer their perspective, to help you relativize.

Take care

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

To be honest, nowadays, I try to count my blessings and am thankful that I have a life to live each day that I wake up. Instead of drowning in all the things that are wrong with my life, I strive to see all that’s good with it, instead. Anyone can paint a bleak picture of their life no matter what their circumstances are. It’s almost an innate human bias present within all of us. It can sometimes take more of an effort to see all the good that we have, because we are blinded, and indifferent, until things that we take for granted are taken from us. Through tragedy, and pain, we are often enlightened to what life is really all about, and that’s loving your family, making a positive difference to the world, and giving back whenever you can. Once you accept all your grievances, you have the power to move forward, and the power to change your life for the better. Use negative energy to power positive actions that can make a difference to your life.

Do you work?

Yes

Do you have children?

Yes, and I love my daughter far more than any pain that tinnitus could ever inflict upon me.

Yes

Do you still go out?

Yea, I’m just more cautious now around, truly, loud sustained noise.

How do you live?

Same as question one. In a philosophical sense, how does anyone live? Life is a journey, and we are free to live it as we see fit. Never let your emotions drive the bus because it’ll be a bumpier journey for sure. Instead, learn to drive the bus yourself; this can be through meditation, or any other source of mindfulness or mentally engaging activities. Our thoughts construct the reality that we live in, so learn to control them.

• Winner Winner x 6
      • Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Annika1884

Annika1884 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thank you for replying! It's been a really tough week for me.

I thought about ending my own life. Then thought that would be incredibly selfish but still that nagging thought.

I wont do it as I do have positive things in my life.

• Hug Hug x 8
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Day to day life is ok and making sure you look after your mental health enjoying what makes you happy.
      I work part time.
      I enjoy going out and take ear protection with me incase it gets extra noisy.

I have two son's and would not stop me having more with tinnitus as I enjoy my grandsons .

life never pans out how you want it to so live your life to the full and don't let anything stop you.
      Love glynis x

Last edited: May 6, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    6. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      @Annika1884
      I try to take it one day at a time, although sometimes that is easier said than done. I use sound enrichment during the day, a white noise machine at night near the bed, and, because my own situation seems to involve an element of noise sensitivity, if I know I'm going to be in a noisy environment (coffee shop, supermarket, what-have-you) I wear ear plugs. I'm trying not to 'over protect' as far as that goes, although right now I'm erring on the side of caution. The sound sensitivity isn't always an issue. Another thing that has helped greatly is seeking out the positive posts and people on this forum. There is a lot of great support here.

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    7. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I have a family and I work full time. It has been hard for me at almost all levels of life. I still go out with the family and find sometimes that better than staying at home and ruminating on things.

I also practice CBT and DBT as much as I can. It helps.

Sometimes it's unbearable but I am trying to hang in there and hoping that I will get better as I am just 5 months in. That feels like a lifetime....

• Hug Hug x 7
    8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Stay strong Dayma, five months is nothing when it comes to tinnitus. It’s easier said than done, but try not to ruminate, as that is a sure fire way to make yourself feel worse. Instead, take a different path and change your routine up; break your regular patterns and create new goals/challenges for yourself. Breaking the cycle of rumination is never easy, especially when we have nothing else in it’s place.

So, give yourself a goal and aim high. Set yourself up to achieve or do something that seems out of character, but exciting at the same time. Nothing rewires the brain quicker than breaking out of the same old routine, in my opinion. The brain is very plastic and can be remoulded.

• Like Like x 2
    9. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How do you all cope with day to day life? I get through one day at a time. Like the Red Queen in Through the Looking Glass, I run as fast as I can just to stay in the same place.

Do you work? Yes

Do you have children? No

If you had a child before tinnitus would you have another one now? No

Do you still go out? No

How do you live? I go to work. I pay the bills. I go back to work. I pay more bills.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Some days are better than other. It can be heaven and a moment later hell.

Do you work?
      Yes...ICT ..computers and stuff ...programming Android and IOS and teach MMA at a gym.

Do you have children?
      Yes 1 .... would have been a better dad if I did not have this crap

I did have a child before tinnitus and how things are now I would not have another because I cannot stand the screaming of kids anymore.

Do you still go out?
      No

How do you live?
      I go to work...pay the bills....go home ... play with my son if I have energy left. Teach MMA at the gym...go home and sleep. Wake up... pay bills... Go to work. Check if my PT is gone... if yes ...good day ...if not bad day.... Avoid all sugar.... .. Start a Succes Story here when feeling good and both my PT and T are low......Do not post it because T became bad the moment I wanted to post it.
      Avoid TT.... Come back to TT... avoid TT ....come back to TT. Suffer anxiety.....have a good moment .... Just endure the show... eat....sleep ...repeat. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Thank you for the nice words!!