TTTS and Hyperacusis — A Tensor Tympani Tenotomy/Stapedectomy? Anyone with Experience?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rojo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Rojo

Rojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin/Xiflaxin
      I have very bad hyperacusis, and what feels like very bad TTTS. So bad it almost feels like much of my discomfort and ear pain is driven by the spasming and TTTS, and then I get trigeminal nerve and ear canal burning afterwards.

Has anyone had experience with getting this surgery? I honestly wonder if this might help my symptoms a lot.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I would personally love to know if cutting the tensor tympani would stop this noise induced pain.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      image.jpeg Hi @Rojo,
      I saw your post and then this in the Introduce Yourself forum. Another TT member has commented on the thread very recently so it refreshed it. Hope it helps.

4. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Rojo How did you get diagnosed for this condition? Did you tell your audiologist about your symptoms or they checked your ears with some special device? How is your burning pain manifesting, is it delayed for a couple of minutes, hours or simply you can feel it instantly after some sound?

5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      How you doing bud?

6. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @dpdx I'm very very bad. I understand that hyperacusis can be painful, but 24/7 burning pain is unbearable. Today I consumed 3 mg Bromazepam and the pain subsided a little bit. Other then that no pill, med or anything else is helping me. How are you?

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you cut the stapedius muscles sound should come in louder, as that muscle tightens to dampen sound.

8. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have exactly the same... a spike since 10 days has irritated my right ear's ear canal combined with the Trigeminal nerve. If i put in an earplug it causes pain in my ear canal and also my cheeks/jaw. After a while I also get some slight spams in my cheek. I hope it will settle down.

You have tried anticonvulsants right? (gabapentin/pregabalin, etc)

PS. I assume you have seen the thread about stellate ganglion nerve block and elimination of pain? I would pursue that option if I were you. There are not yet much facts, but seems like the possible rewards outweigh risks for those in our situation. (not sure about cost for the procedure though)

• Informative Informative x 1