Turmeric Compound Boosts Regeneration of Brain Stem Cells

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Danny Boy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Summary:
      A bioactive compound found in turmeric promotes stem cell proliferation and differentiation in the brain, reveals new research. The findings suggest aromatic turmerone could be a future drug candidate for treating neurological disorders, such as stroke and Alzheimer's disease."

"A bioactive compound found in turmeric promotes stem cell proliferation and differentiation in the brain, reveals new research published today in the open access journal Stem Cell Research & Therapy. The findings suggest aromatic turmerone could be a future drug candidate for treating neurological disorders, such as stroke and Alzheimer's disease.

The study looked at the effects of aromatic (ar-) turmerone on endogenous neutral stem cells (NSC), which are stem cells found within adult brains. NSC differentiate into neurons, and play an important role in self-repair and recovery of brain function in neurodegenerative diseases. Previous studies of ar-turmerone have shown that the compound can block activation of microglia cells. When activated, these cells cause neuroinflammation, which is associated with different neurological disorders. However, ar-turmerone's impact on the brain's capacity to self-repair was unknown.

Researchers from the Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine in Jülich, Germany, studied the effects of ar-turmerone on NSC proliferation and differentiation both in vitro and in vivo. Rat fetal NSC were cultured and grown in six different concentrations of ar-turmerone over a 72 hour period. At certain concentrations, ar-turmerone was shown to increase NSC proliferation by up to 80%, without having any impact on cell death. The cell differentiation process also accelerated in ar-turmerone-treated cells compared to untreated control cells.

To test the effects of ar-turmerone on NSC in vivo, the researchers injected adult rats with ar-turmerone. Using PET imaging and a tracer to detect proliferating cells, they found that the subventricular zone (SVZ) was wider, and the hippocampus expanded, in the brains of rats injected with ar-turmerone than in control animals. The SVZ and hippocampus are the two sites in adult mammalian brains where neurogenesis, the growth of neurons, is known to occur.

Lead author of the study, Adele Rueger, said: "While several substances have been described to promote stem cell proliferation in the brain, fewer drugs additionally promote the differentiation of stem cells into neurons, which constitutes a major goal in regenerative medicine. Our findings on aromatic turmerone take us one step closer to achieving this goal."

Ar-turmerone is the lesser-studied of two major bioactive compounds found in turmeric. The other compound is curcumin, which is well known for its anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140925205819.htm

• Like Like x 5
    2. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      How much turmeric do I have to inject to make the tinnitus go away.

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      Right after I had my first hearing test for hearing aids, I was eating ginger. My ears had been plugged and my hearing was quite dull. Then one day, after snacking ginger for a week or two, my ears just opened up and I could hear again, almost normal! Ginger has capsaicin, which is an anti inflammatory I use in a balm for pain, inflammation and hives. I was trying to find ways to add turmeric to my diet to help open my Eustachian tubes to drain my middle ears. Cayenne pepper can also help! These could be added to cocoa to make sipping chocolate. You don't have to dive into Indian curry foods, although, that might be yummy too!

Yes! Food can be medicine! It might also provide an answer to the ringing!

I vote for eating my medicine, but it might work to make ear drops with these anti inflammatory ingredients, perhaps as essential oils. But be careful to follow the safety guidelines of dilution or you could do damage with too high of a concentrate of these powerful agents!

Thank you Danny Boy for encouraging me in this direction! It's already on my mind to try this tack.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. PamelaNY

PamelaNY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have consistently found that turmeric significantly reduces the volume of my tinnitus. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know if it is safe to take on a long-term basis.

• Like Like x 2
    5. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Pam.

That's amazing! Turmuric is a natural food so I can't imagine there could be anything wrong with taking it long term. I guess it would be like asking are potatos safe to eat long term.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. PamelaNY

PamelaNY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks!

7. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I add plenty of turmeric, ginger and garlic to all my foods. Basically since I am Indian we use it in almost every dish we make. I don't know since I am using it from childhood my body might have been used to it. My T is the same. Probably I will increase my intake. I definitely would like my T to quiet a little bit.

You can definitely take it lifelong everyday. I take it almost everyday since 28years.

• Like Like x 2
    8. PamelaNY

PamelaNY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks! Good to know.

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Ginger helped me with hyperacusis but my tinnitus spikes after curcuma and ginger .... Why? o_O

10. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Word of caution regarding turmeric (especially extracted circumin)... This stuff stains BADLY. If you are using a powdered form be careful because even the slightest bit of dust in the air will stain anything it comes into contact with. For this reason I'll probably switch to a capsule variety after I run out, as big of a fan I am of high quality, pure, powered forms of supplements, this is starting to get ridiculous. As for tinnitus, I haven't noticed a difference either way, I take it for gut health.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Apolonia What dose were you taking of curcumin and ginger for hyperacusis?

12. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mix tumeric with black pepper, some kind of oil (coconut) and honey. Otherwise the body can barely absorb it. Also best taken together with meals.

• Like Like x 1
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I found that mixing it with mayonnaise or butter was far superior than pepper.

14. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Add some black pepper to that and you're set. The black pepper is very important for absorption.

Turmeric, black pepper and honey is the ayurvedic formula, but only the pepper and oil/fat is vital. I like it because it tastes surprisingly good and it's easy to just chase down with some water.

15. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Stains like crazy, but can be removed with baking soda.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was taking 8 grams, 16 capsules, of pure curcumin a day for two months. It was coming out though my sweat and the bottoms of my feet and my palms especially. Everything I owned turned yellow. All my clothes, my rug, my phone case, my keyboard, it was hilarious. It definitely seemed to have a positive affect on my tinnitus, especially at night.

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20180916_095400.jpg 20180913_163056.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      RiP Danny...

• Like Like x 1
    19. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, I want some of what you're having. I'd say I eat large amounts of turmeric every day but maybe not enough!

20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was attempting gene therapy on myself because curcumin is a notch1 inhibitor.
      Notch1 inhibition causes histone acetylation which causes an overexpression of atonal homolog 1 which induces cochlear hair cell regeneration.

Unfortunately curcumin also blocks histone acetylation. So it was like stepping on the gas and break at the same time. Didnt hurt me though. I'm fine. Fine like wine.

21. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Why did you stop?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because everything I owned was getting stained yellow and I did fine just avoiding loud sounds and another reason.

23. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Has your tinnitus stayed low after ceasing to take turmeric?

24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nope. I was waking up with no tinnitus some mornings now that doesn't happen anymore.

I however cannot decide if that is from my last acoustic trauma, which certainly caused a month long spike, or my ceasing curcumin, which happened at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Christopher E.

Christopher E. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Gun Shot onset, exasperated by TMJ?

Just catching up on some of these threads. I ordered the same Jarrow supplement you were taking. Did you Spike fade? I know it sounds like you are back on the Tumeric? What's your advice for taking it? I'd like to get it right from the get.

• Like Like x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I am overall in a much better place. Honestly the best it has ever been. I take it three times a day, with meals. For me the dose before bed is the most crucial one and I try and take it right before I go to sleep. If I ate dinner too early then I will take it with a few bites of ice cream or something. I take about 3-5 grams at a time.

27. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      So 3-5 grams three time per day? I Massively underdosed if that's the case.

28. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Try again.

29. Christopher E.

Christopher E. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Gun Shot onset, exasperated by TMJ?

Still, mixing it with black pepper and butter? Or just down the capsule and adding that stuff in throughout your meals? Are you still turning everything you own yellow?

30. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I
      I just dump a handful of capsules in my hand and swallow them in one big gulp with a drink right before or right after I eat.