Two Dentist Visits Coming Up

Discussion in 'Support' started by sjtinguy, Dec 30, 2017.

1. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I've got two metal fillings that need to be replaced, both on the side with my bad ear.. and unfortunately they can't really wait any longer. I've searched on here and people say ear plugs/muffs are no use because the sound is coming though bone conduction and just sounds louder with protection. I mentioned the 5 seconds on/10 seconds off thing to my dentist and he said due to the fact that the metal filling needs to be removed, that doing that would take a really long time. I am still going to insist on going slow and quiet as possible but 5 on/10 off would make the procedure 3x as long, and that sounds pretty annoying

My tinnitus is relatively stable right now and I have been able to handle louder and louder sounds without a significant spike the last week or two, though I still choose to wear hearing protection around car traffic, airplanes, trains, etc. I've been more confident lately so I'm hoping I can handle the dentist too.. but that high speed drilling is just not a pleasant sound even when your ears are feeling great!

Is this just one of those things where you gotta suck it up and take your chances? Is there anything you can do besides asking the dentist to take it slow and take breaks often? Having pain in your teeth is just as miserable or worse than tinnitus and stressing on needing the work doesn't help keep my ears quiet. I want to get this work out of the way but I'm worried I'm going to come home to a screaming ear

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      As a side note.. I never was a fan of ibuprofen or acetaminophen but I would take them if I needed to.. but I would notice an increase in ringing even when my tinnitus was very mild. Now I'm getting to the point where I'm considering taking them but I'm putting it off as long as possible. Sucks there aren't any good over the counter pain pills which don't have increased tinnitus as a possible side effect

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I bet it will be less annoying than a lifetime of louder T.

Can you find out how much your dentist's time is worth, and pay for all of the extra time?

Also, there might be dentists out there who own a laser that could be used on metal dental fillings. I believe I had such a filling and I found a dentist who used a laser drill. It was very bearable.

Check out a description of my experience:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/dentist-laser-vs-ordinary.2791/#post-272983

If you are convinced that a laser can't be used in your case, at least find a dentist who uses a newer (and quieter) electric-powered (as opposed to the standard air-powered) drill.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is my understanding that acetaminophen is the least ototoxic.

Check out
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/acetaminophen/tinnitus/
      and
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/ibuprofen/tinnitus/

5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I had two fillings a couple of months ago. The drill was used for a maximum of around 40-50 seconds on and off. Did nothing to my t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm trying to just stay relaxed and ride it out

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unfortunately, several people on this forum got their T (or got a serious, even permanent T spikes) as a result of dental procedures. So it is important to pull out all stops to keep yourself safe.

By the way, make sure to keep your neck straight during the procedure.

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Even when I had very severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, I wasn't affected by the dentist's drill including having root canal treatment. I have had many dental procedures over the 21 years that I've had tinnitus and touch wood all have gone well. Just before Christmas I had a tooth filled and had no problems. Some people report having difficulty with their tinnitus at the dentist and this may be true. However, it is important that one looks after their teeth and gums and the best way to do this is by having regular dental check ups.

There are risks and exceptions in everything. I do not think it is wise not to go to the dentist, as one is just storing up problems for the future. Again this instils negative thinking. If more people in this forum try to put their fears and anxiety aside I believe they will feel a lot better and may well find their tinnitus calms down and they can get along with their life.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Man... I took 1 acetaminophen tablet and for a few hours my ears felt really good in addition to killing the tooth pain. But now the medicine is wearing off and the ringing is at maximum volume and my ears feel super weird again. Definitely can't take any more of that. I used to notice slight increase in ringing when I would take it in the past but nothing like this

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Well I took the first drill to the tooth and thankfully it was not bad at all. The suction was louder honestly. I might have a slight increase in the ringing but that would have happened just from going into an office with people talking and a radio playing.

I did not wear ear protection during the drilling. I had my ipad on my chest playing rain sounds which helped me relax and I could focus on the rain, though I couldn't hear it while the suction and drilling was happening.

I would rather get another tooth drilled than take 1 pill of acetaminophen .. that made my tinnitus worse for days! The dentist visit was nothing in comparison.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      sjtinguy, something you may not know about. There are electric Dental Handpieces used today that are a lot quieter, but drill slower. Air Turbine Handpiece’s, (dental drills) cost less, and are faster at cutting, but run load, at a very high frequency of sound. Check to see if your Dentist uses electric Handpieces.
      TinA#oct

13. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Dude, relax. Dentist will be fine, make them aware and most will understand. I’ve been for regular cleans, fillings and have had a wisdom tooth out. All ok, not as loud as you think. A cool dentist will break and not do sustained drilling