Two Tinnitus Sounds at Once?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pat, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Pat

Pat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hi All, Is it uncommon to have 2 types of T going on at the same time?

2. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Last count I had 4 going on, don't be afraid it's normal, hey you got t when I got it Looks like last October the tinnitus reaper was out

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      No.

I have high-pitched ringing and clicking at the same time in my left ear. Right ear is high-pitched ringing only.

Clicking sound in my case is a lot softer though and I can only hear it in semi-silent situations.

But anyway, lots of people have more than one T sound.

4. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Yes, I have a solid high pitch in the right ear and a pulsating in the left.

5. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I am surprised you can still hear yours Calin, as some of your posts state you have got you t down to 0 to 1 ?? Well done

6. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      How you getting on pat ?..

7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Sometimes there is nothing of T. But, it is not long lasting... minutes maybe. I may have not noticed the silence until I feel something is "off" ! lol right now, I am having to pay close attention to hear it. I am guessing below a 1.

I expect this will take another month. I am giving it that anyway. It is almost too good to be true ....

It's nice that you are following my progress. It's all about support!

8. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yeh, how did you get you're t ???

9. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Joe... are you asking me?

10. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yeh Calin

11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I faintly remember a member called Karl got tinnitus also in last October.

Damn you October! Mine was the beginning of April. :cry:

12. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yeh we all remember that horrible first month, I cut the electrics to off, on the whole house to see if I could get silence, and kept asking people " can you hear that high pitch ring "

13. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Joe, it could be any number of things or just one. I am guessing the BP medication and the docs concurred - it is a side effect of what I was taking. It's not my hearing as I have had that tested.

It could be an inner ear thing. The ENT checked me and removed small amounts of ear was. Nothing changed though.

I did have dizziness (In August) when I turned my head from side to side and cleared that up with BPPV exercises. Then shortly after I got the T. I stopped BP meds some months ago. That didn't change the T.

You?

14. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Markku have you had any success stories on this forum?. It looks like Calin nearly cured, she's gonna be a first maybe ???

15. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Calin mine was a loud noise, I heard ringing instantly soon as the noise stopped, so mine is acoustic trauma or noise induced tinnitus what ever you want to call it.

16. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Wow! So sorry!

I have had the headsets on while on my computer when it gets a high screech and shuts down the windows program. I have literally had to throw off the headset quickly. I have often wondered if that effected my ears somehow.

17. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I am glad you're nearly clear, fingers crossed

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pat

Pat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hi Joe, I'm managing a little better now. I know from our group there is no cure. Now i'm working on managing this. I don't know what i would have done with all the support on this forum. Thank You All...pat

19. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Pat

my ears...or is it the brain...(combination?) is running three Ts on me

the hiss of very loud steam escaping from a small pipe

a pure tone around 4k hz

and a very weird kinda morse code sound that has almost an element to the noise of a person rapidly and randomly blowing air across the top of a few coke bottles each partially filled with a different levels of water

its the high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEE sound that really drives me mad...i can handle the coke bottle and steam noise pretty well

best wishes
      mock turtle

Joe

you asked Markku if there wee any success stories.. well...

for several years i felt i was a success story, with a few set backs here an there

after a year to two of insane noise i really started to get on top of it

and after that, for the most part i did well for more than 10 years

once in a while i would get "assaulted" with an unexpected cascade of loud noise...a motorcycle going by full throttle with no muffler (my ears rang bad for a week but soon settled down) or the fire alarm that went off in the building as i walked by (pain and fear for several days)...but i always came back

but now i seem to be back at square one and not sure why....sadness

best wishes
      mock turtle

20. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Hi Mock Turtle, welcome to the forum, as research is slowly progressing I estimate within the next 3-5 years their will be a cure and an end to the noise. I strongly believe that in cases such as yourself who have T from noise trauma, this is a result in a disturbance in the Dorsal Cochlear ( the hub) where a combination of sensory sounds become magnified as the Dorsal goes into state of shock or confusion. Management of anxiety, avoidance of aggravating sounds and good healthy diet along with exercise is key to the road to recovery. You are a good role model of this as you have achieved this the past decade. Carefully retrace your steps and I am sure that you will be able to put your T to the state it was. There is no short cut here, best wishes

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Joe...nice meeting you

thanx for the words of encouragement

its pretty clear you have done your research especially regarding the brains roll in the manifestation of tinnitus

what continues to puzzle me is how lidocane and one or two other drugs in the pipeline, drugs that aparently down regulate the neurotransmitter glutamate, when introduced directly into the cochlea shut down tinnitus, at least for a few hours or for some drugs, longer, but still too short a time

my dad has profound hearing loss above 3k hz yet senses no tinnitus, where-as a good friend has a somewhat "normal" audiological curve, up to 9k ( and then nothing), and she has raging tinnitus

so this and other findings seem to suggest that tinnitus happens when there are a number of "malfunctions" some peripheral (the ear) and some as you point out in the dorsal nerve happening together

and other researchers have indicated the limbic system (nuclear acumbens?) might also have to be involved

i agree with you that at least a palliative solution may be less than a half decade away...oh i do so hope

but hey, looks like slower, but substantial progress, is being made to regrow stereo cilia in the mammalian cochlea

have you sen this?

Virginia Merrill Bloedell Hearing center at the University of Washington (seattle)

http://depts.washington.edu/hearing/HRI.php

i have also read that a bunch of reserch doctors-scientists at MIT are holding a number of patents that are key to hearing hair cell regeneration....the trick seems to be neutralizing retinoblastoma with something called phosphorylation (i dont know what that means...or modifying the function of the gene they call math1 and kip27 thus allowing mammals to do what birds do, that is re grow destroyed hearing hair cells...but, without sparking the growth of tumors...yikes!

on bad days (or weeks) one can only hope and pray a viable treatment will arrive before some of us go nuts
      (my wife says, "before??? you go nuts...hey, she says you are certifiably nuts here and now :)

best wishes
      mock turtle

22. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      thanx Joe for the welcome

just one more thought

yeah, what you said about no short cuts etc

hey i have this fantastic notion that some researchers put together this tiny nano submarine

the submarine gets injected thru the "round window"

its carrying several hundred nano carbon fiber replacements for the stereo cilia that have been wiped out

and the sub is equipped with an external camera and transmitter that allows a remote pilot with a joy stick to slowly navigate the cochlea, replacing broken hearing cell hairs with the prosthetic carbon fiber ones,

and then voila, hearing improved... tinnitus diminished...and they all lived happily ever after

ok...im a dreamer

23. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Hello Mock Turtle,:)
      Thank you for that post, I am aware of the V.M.B Research centre, and there doing a great Job, however, many tinnitus sufferers may have lost a little amount of hearing and in the majority its usually the high frequency that is usually effected, this is because the cilia for high frequency is located at the entrance of the cochlear, its in the front line so its the first to go. A tinnitus suffer would be more inclined to stop the noise than making a full recovery in their hearing, However I strongly believe, that even if the cilia was completely restored, there would still be Tinnitus, as study's show even if you have your acoustic nerve cut, there can still be a presence of tinnitus:( We Know regeneration is more than decades away, with stem cells leading the way, however making the Tinnitus quieter and more manageable could be sooner:)