Two Weeks In Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JLong, Jun 1, 2018.

1. JLong
      Haunting

JLong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’ve been lurking around on this site for the past few days and I felt it would be some comfort to at least introduce myself and accept this part of my life now.

The ringing in both my ears was noticed dirrectly after a concert, it was my second ever so I was pretty pissed when I realized getting home what I was hearing. (I don’t listen to headphones music loudly either) I have had tinnitus before years ago due to an ear infection but it went away after about 2 or 3 months. I thought I was done lol

Next 2 days were very loud high pitched ringing. Nothing could mask it save a shower. Day 3 I managed to see a ENT and he said my inner ear was inflamed and the tinnitus shouldn’t be permanent. I had my hearing checked and I sustained no permanent damage. He sent me home with some Azelastine HCl nasal solution and a follow up in 3 weeks.

The ringing has gone down in volume, sometimes I forget it’s there, sometimes it’s impossible to ignore in a quiet room or even over music and an outdoor setting. It varies for some reason. My ringing is accompanied often by pressure in my ears. When the pressure is worse it gets louder.

I suffer from TMJ; chewing, yawning, and bruxism hurt my jaw daily. When I chew too much food I swear my ringing gets louder. I’m afraid it will become permanent because of this. I’m seeing my dentist tomorrow to discuss the TMJ but I’m joining this site so hopefully I can have a success story to tell no matter what happens.

So hello! Any ways to help my ears recover or to keep an eye on my health would be helpful. I’m at the mercy of time right now :’ (

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You made a lot of progress in just a couple of months. When T is relentlessly at the same level, it is scary. When it gets better over time (your case), there is no reason why it shouldn't continue to improve. Your outlook is pretty good.
      How loud is this music?

Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (27 tips) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past year.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JLong
      Haunting

JLong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello @Bill Bauer it’s actually been only the 2 weeks. After the initial dip in volume I haven’t noticed a change unless I try my hardest to not let it bother me.

I don’t listen to music very loud, I’ve been avoiding headphones for now after reading some stories here. So my speakers are probably at a 25% volume.

I really don’t know what to do at this point, waiting around for change is so hard for me.

Edit: thank you for the links I really appreciate it

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In a couple of days it will be 16 months for me. What I learned is that you shouldn't assume that the sound you hear at any given time will be the sound that you will be stuck with. Also, what matters is the monthly trend. What happens on a daily basis is meaningless - statistical noise. So try to remember how loud your T sounds now (try to match it to another sound), and then compare it to the sound you will hear 1-3-6 months from now...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @JLong, Bill has good advice about a "monthly view." Also, the advice to compare it to something. I use the refrigerator in our kitchen when its running as that 'something.'

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If you have had TMJ for quite awhile, then your tinnitus would have shown up much quicker (this is not 100%, but it only makes sense.) To me it seems that the loud noise/concert did you in the most. Now you have the classic/beginner low hiss/tone sound. Most start out this way, including myself.

Protecting your ears from KNOWN loud sounds/spots/venues is a must (concerts,bars,live events). Over protecting, obsessing, over-paranoia is not recommended. DO NOT measure how loud your ears are going to ring from month to month, this just leads to obsession, paranoia and puts a damper on the quality of your life. Do not obsess over the noise and try to scan or listen for it. This just trains your mind to obsess over the tinnitus and this leads to negativity...

Stress also CAN make your tinnitus louder and more annoying. In my 30 years of experience, it was me abusing my ears with constant loud noise (bars, dancing by speakers and loud music) that made my classical low hiss/tone become the intrusive monster it is today. My hearing is also very poor and I blame myself for that as well :)

You can live a good life, even with your low hiss tone......

Be well....

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      First of all, the above assumes that he will not be getting better. If he will be getting better, then KNOWING that he is getting better will increase the quality of his life. Second of all, if one of his habits (for example, a habit of not doing what you call "overprotecting") causes his T to get louder, it is important for him to become aware of it so that he can change his lifestyle before it is too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JLong
      Haunting

JLong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks guys for the welcome, Fish I understand why you say that about measuring time but I really do it decreases in volume a bit. It’s louder than my fridge rn

I’ve noticed the stress makes it louder though that’s hard to avoid atm Staying away from loud is easy for me, avoiding caffeine is almost the saddest thing haha (apart from the no silence)

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @fishbone has given first class advice to a fellow member that is new to tinnitus and in distress. I support it one hundred percent.

Michael

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry, it appears that you forgot to add any Reasons/arguments explaining why it was a first class advice and why there are problems with my response to his advice. I am sure that you had accidentally hit "Post Reply", before finishing your post.

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      On the contrary Bill, I have deliberately chosen not to add further comment. I realize that you are trying to help people here and therefore, do not wish to come down on you too harshly and hoped that someone of your intelligence, would read between the lines. Fishbone, like myself is a veteran to this condition. Indeed, we don't know everything and are willing to learn from others but in this instance, I assure you everything he has said in his post is right and I don't wish to explain further.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I read between the lines - you have some religious beliefs, but no arguments to support those beliefs, so you won't provide those arguments because you can't.