Unable to Hear My Tinnitus in Certain Places?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jon R., May 29, 2021.

1. Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      I have 2 types of tinnitus in 1 ear, one static noise that I hear all the time but differs in severity (with colds I feel my head will explode with static) and another much stranger rumbling hum noise that also changes in severity, but that putting my finger in my ear will stop.

Sometimes I can't hear the rumbling one at all, but something will trigger it off, like a cold, or recently the vaccine, and it will become intense for a while. Some rooms are worse than others. For instance, when I am lying down I might not hear it much (other times I will), but when I sit up off the bed it suddenly becomes very audible. When I am in my lounge it is very loud and more constant, but in the kitchen it is more of a background annoyance that has a second break between each sound. I definitely notice it a lot more at home than when out other places. I don't know if something around here, like a nearby factory, might be causing it, but then that doesn't explain why it only really happens when body is sick and also on Christmas day when factories are closed.

If I put the palm of my hand in front of my ear, the tone changes from a vibration rumbling hum (like a car engine idle close by) to a less annoying one. A finger in my ear and I can't feel or hear it at all, although my other static tinnitus noise might be masking it.

My ear can be vibrating away and if a small airplane flies overhead, even far away in the distance, the noise and vibrating fluttering feeling in my ear stops until it has passed. But if a car IS actually idle nearby, then my ear goes crazy with deep vibrating. If I am listening to audio on my tablet and the volume is too high, my ear will vibrate. And my ear will hum louder when people are talking.

But after those 3 or 4 weeks of insanity pass, it goes away again until it is again triggered back to life. I can cancel it out with a 70 Hz pure tone, so normally my ear will be vibrating and fluttering away, then I turn on 70 Hz pure tone and the sensation and noise in my ear stops. Just a shame that I then have the annoying 70 Hz tone to hear instead, haha.

I have seen ENTs but had no help. I had an inner ear MRI but it didn't see anything (I stupidly stopped them using contrast as I panicked about the dye, so it was normal and not contrast).

I am more curious than anything, what sort of tinnitus is this?