Unilateral Noise-Induced Crackling in Former DJ

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Christophe1, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Christophe1

Christophe1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all. I've been a DJ since 1992, but I have cut way back on my performances to only a few per year. About 10 years ago or so after one of my gigs, I noticed a crackling sound in my left ear when I would turn on the faucet. I freaked out and also noticed that anything that was a high frequency similar to the faucet running, would start up my crackling. I have noticed its return but it always goes away, is not severe and doesn't last more than a day.

Fast forward to the past week or so, and the crackling has returned. However, I do not DJ nearly as much as I used to and hadn't been in a loud environment in several months. This crackling is different. I hear a occasional crackle when there isn't any noise, however, once I hear the right frequency (higher end frequency), it starts the crackling with much more intensity. The weird thing is it continues for about a minute after the noise stops. When it stops, it just abruptly stops. Another weird thing is if I'm taking a shower, the shower will trigger the crackling, but it will stop after a minute or so even though the sound is still there. It's almost as if my ear adjusted. I also do feel a mild, dull pain in the area and a slight fullness.

I did have a pretty nasty flu/sinus infection about a month ago (tested for COVID-19 3x... all negative).

It is starting to affect my quality of life. If I awaken during my sleep and it starts crackling, I can't go back to sleep.

I did go to an ENT and he didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He used a scope to look at my Eustachian tube. He said it appeared to be clear.

I am making an appointment to get a Tympanometry with Acoustic Reflex Test. As I type this, I hear the random, but fairly spaced crack sound.

Thanks for listening and any feedback is appreciated.

2. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Most members on the forum would advise against an acoustic reflex test, it has been known to exacerbate tinnitus in some cases. It would maybe be best to give your ears a chance to rest, allow things to settle down.

An audiogram and Tympanometry (so long as it is only checking pressure and not pumping sound into your ears) should not cause any issue.

If you can find a sound that masks your tinnitus then play that in your bedroom to help you sleep. Sleep is so important. Try not to worry, I know that's easier said than done.

3. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      Hi, welcome here...