Unilateral Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emgee, May 7, 2020.

1. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      Hey everyone,

I’m curious to see if there are many others who are experiencing the same issue I am at the moment. I have unilateral tinnitus in my right ear that is reactive. In fact, the baseline is so low I have to check to hear it. Any external sounds make it react. Once the external sound stops, the tinnitus goes back to normal. No tinnitus in my left ear.

I think my tinnitus was caused by an acoustic trauma, but I do have TMJ issues (jaw clicking) and ETD (fluid in ear/popping). I also had an ear infection in my right ear from a bad head cold a few months back. I have my tinnitus around two months now. All noise aggravates it.

Anyone else experience this?

Mike

2. Chrisakky
      Balanced

Chrisakky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1st Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection causing ETD?
      Hi there!

I also have ETD but dont think I have TMJ quite yet though I think that might be on the way. I also have unilateral tinnitus but in my left ear.

I also have what you are describing. I call this 'reactive tinnitus' but many people describe reactive tinnitus as their tinnitus rising to annoying levels for minutes/hours after being exposed to noise.

But yes I do have that issue where my tinnitus rises so it can be heard over noises and then immediately drops to baseline once the sound finishes. I also have TTTS-like issues for certain sounds where my ears feel like they vibrate when they hear sudden sharp sounds.

Just some quirks in the world of tinnitus. Hope you are doing ok.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emgee

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi! Sorry to hear you’re also going through this.

How long has yours been reactive? Has it improved at all? Do you know what caused yours?

This is very puzzling to me.

4. Chrisakky
      Balanced

Chrisakky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1st Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection causing ETD?
      Sorry forgot to respond to this.

I have it on and off which most of the time seems tied to periods of nose / sinus congestion but confusingly not always. I'm not sure whether the congestion causes sensitivity to sound due to pressure problems and the other times are when I've just been in loud environments, not sure and not scientific just my ramblings.

My unscientific theory is that the pressure issues caused by congestion, ETD etc cause the ear to be more sensitive and more prone to damage caused by loud noises. Just as you mention you think your t was cause by noise exposure but you also have other contributing issues.

If I have congestion issues I go on the Otrivine decongestant nasal spray my T will spike as soon as everything feels clear along with sensitivity to sound etc. Then after a few days of continued spray use it will reduce to a 2/10. Something you could try if you aren't already on the nasal spray? I use Beconase as a slightly longer solution but it works nowhere near as well as Otrivine but you can use it for longer periods.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had this for exactly one day in my left ear after the first time I took Trobalt and it was freaky. My own voice set it off.

6. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      Yes, I also have reactive tinnitus in one ear only (in my case my left). I am not sure what caused mine but I think it was either extreme stress or benzodiazepines (lorazepam), or maybe both.

7. Renee W

Renee W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Ken77

Have you had any improvement in the reactiveness of your tinnitus?

8. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      No, no improvement, sadly. My tinnitus hasn't changed at all in the 2 years since it appeared.

9. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @Emgee Has the reactivity of your tinnitus changed at all? Mine is reacting to sounds too. Acoustic trauma 13 days ago.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emgee

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My reactivity is still very bad. Four months in.

Does yours stay elevated after noise exposure or does it go back down immediately once the sound ends?

11. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      It hisses like electrical wires/static all day, but then increases with some sounds momentarily. I also have described it as a blown speaker. I hear it all day and it’s not maskable. It’s been an awful 2 weeks. Hope to learn to adapt. Are you coping better after 4 months?

12. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      I am having the same issue you are. Got sudden tinnitus in my right ear that increases in volume during just when certain sounds at certain levels are going on when talking. Like when I or my toddler says ball at a louder but not overly loud level the sound will spike for just that moment then go down to baseline. It’s very strange.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emgee

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is electrical too. Very sharp-sounding. It oscillates. Unfortunately, I’m not doing well as mine worsened since onset. Hope you have better luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      How long have you been dealing with this?

15. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Since this past Sunday morning

16. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      I'm having this electrical reactive tinnitus aswell, like an aggressive electrical wave.
      But mine is in my whole head / in both ears the same.
      What I can say is that it got like 30% better in 1,5 years / and with using Lenire.

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emgee

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When you say your reactivity improved 30% - do you mean it reacts to less external stimuli or the volume has decreased?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. ToriaM34

ToriaM34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - maybe frequent ear infections
      Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just wanted to check in and see if you have had any improvement for your reactive tinnitus (i.e the tinnitus that appears solely in response to external noise and then immediately goes quiet as soon as the external noise source is removed)?

I’ve had tinnitus for a long time with quite a lot of different variations being added over the years (as you’ll see from my old threads), I was stable and habituated for the past year or so but unfortunately I am now suddenly experiencing this same unilateral reactive tinnitus that you describe and I’m just wondering if there is any possibility it’ll get better or if I’m going to have to spend another year trying to come to terms with yet another permanent change to my tinnitus :( For me it is like an electric sound and I suppose in a way I’m lucky that it 100% goes away in a silent environment, but even small sounds like the rustle of my bed covers sets it off which is frustrating.

Hope you are doing well regardless.

• Hug Hug x 1