University College of London Looking for Participants in a Tinnitus Study

Discussion in 'Research News' started by James White, Jun 25, 2013.

1. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi folk,

I don't know if this has been posted on TT, couldn't find a discussion about it, but if some british folks are around London they may be interested in participating in a tinnitus study conducted by UCL :

Participants needed for tinnitus study

Study details

The study will involve filling a questionnaire related to your tinnitus, behavioural tests to measure your hearing, the characteristics of your tinnitus and your tolerance to certain sounds (~ 90 minutes). You will then be required to do some behavioural tasks in the MEG scanner (~ 60-90 minutes including setup time) followed by a structural MRI scan (~30 minutes). In some cases we are unable to perform the structural MRI scan on the same day, and thus a separate appointment is required. If you have tinnitus, you will also need to come back on a separate day, in which you will fill in a very short questionnaire and have a short MEG scan in which you do not need to perform any task. This additional visit should take an hour.

2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't think this is related, but I know that the UCL is conducting the Phase 1 study for Autifony Therapeutics for their AUT3 compound. The Phase 1 study is only accepting healthy volunteers for safety evaluations though.

3. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      very interesting, given I am local to this, I may sign up, do you know if this trial is currently running or are they recruiting?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Recruiting i guess because the article is from April 13

5. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hudson, you are so hot. And I am a bit drunk. Its my 1 year anniversary of this thing on Saturday and I am commiserating early.

Anyway - as luck would have it - I signed in for the first time in a while and alighted on this post and I think I know a little about it.... I think its the study about the causes/mechanisms of tinnitus - its not a treatment trial. I contacted the head of the study, (if its the same one and I think it is), some time ago, and they only now need predominantly right-ear affected people for it. They scan you and your data is used in the investigation into the mechanism of tinnitus (all very laudable) but there's no pill to take/treatment to undergo. And ah, mates, aint that what we really want? xx

• Like Like x 1
    6. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi Louise,

Thank you for posting the above, v useful information as I was interested in potentially signing up and not really interested in the type of trial as described (even though I am predominantly right ear T!)

Thank you!
      Mission

7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No problem Mission. As you are right-eared you don't fancy taking one for the team then? lol