University Freshers Week with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joe4, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I was neither excited or nervous about coming to university. The only thing I was apprehensive about was whether my tinnitus and ears could handle the stresses and strains of freshers week. I’m sure all countries have some version of this but for those who don’t know, freshers week is the welcome week of university where there are no lectures and as it’s likely most people’s first time away from home, everyone drinks themselves into hospital and goes out clubbing in ridiculous outfits every night of the week.

I technically arrived the day before fresher’s week started so no club night was organised so we went to the campus bar which wasn’t that loud so thankfully could settle in with my new flat mates in a thoroughly enjoyable way and not worry about the state of my tinnitus. Second night was the first “arena” night and everyone was going out so I decided I might as well try and if it was too loud I’d just leave immediately. I arrived and to my very pleasant surprise, the noise levels weren’t too high. It was a live band but a huge amount of credit must go to the Bath University Events (Sound Engineering) team who kept the bass in check and still sounded brilliant all night even with my ear plugs in. The decibel level was always between 90-100 so with ear plugs in, I never felt in trouble. This excellent standard of sound engineering continued for the rest of the week which meant I could enjoy my first week in uni without being too anxious about upsetting my tinnitus. Admittedly I did leave every night early, staying no longer than 90mins any single night just to be on the safe side but this meant only missing 30mins as the events were typically attended 12-2am.

So far I haven’t told anyone in my flat I have tinnitus as nobody is loud and don’t really want to be known as the "lad who has tinnitus" but I feel it’s only a matter of time before someone spots me putting in earplugs and starts asking questions. However at this stage I wouldn’t feel awkward telling them as they all seem like lovely people.

Also, I’ve been into a few bars in the city and thankfully they are fine for noise levels too. Bath itself is a quiet city and partly why I chose to study here. I’ve always been a quiet person so suits me and it is beautiful. If the last few weeks are anything to go by, I hope I’ll have a very enjoyable time here studying at Bath.

Many Thanks
      Joe

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Joe4,
      Brilliant to hear your first week at Uni freshers week went well.
      Follow your dream and keep your plugs handy and im sure you will enjoy every minute.

Don't forget the extra support around exam time or talk to your tutor if need anything to help you like a direct link to a computer if going in to a lecture is problematic with tinnitus spikes.

Well done and onwards and upwards.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I remember my first week of college, had a blast, nothing beats living in the dorms during college. It will be some of the best memories of your life, have fun and please don't let T ruin the experience for you (if you can help it). Wear those plugs with pride and don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Tip the strippers well and don't forget to study between jello shots hehe

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thanks @glynis I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll keep posting throughout the year letting people know how I’m doing.