Unknown Cause

Discussion in 'Support' started by rsilvers, Aug 28, 2017.

1. rsilvers

rsilvers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss, loud noise
      Hey everyone,

My Name is Reed and I am 16 years old.

My tinnitus has been getting very loud recently. I have a hearing loss in both ears which I think might have something to do with it. I also played in a Rock Band and sometimes didn't wear earplugs.

However, I never noticed directly after rehearsals or concerts there to be any ringing. The ringing has increased now in the summer when we are not playing or rehearsing.

Could the rock band still be the cause or could it be something else?

2. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      You should rest your ears for a while. You must use earplugs at the rock band practice, I would also recommend using earmuffs on top of your earplugs.

Tinnitus not might appear right after a loud gig etc. it may take a year and then appear, so I am pretty sure you got your T from that band practice.

If you start protecting your ears now, T might even go away! :)

Good luck my friend

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Loud noise exposure of acoustic trauma is one of the most common causes of tinnitus. Being in a rock band for long exposing to such loud sound will gradually cause hearing loss. While not all people will get tinnitus from such loud noise exposure, some people's ears are just not built for this and when the hearing loss get to a certain level, the brain will try to re-create the phantom sound of T to replace this lost frequency of tone, thus bringing about T. You may want to protect your ears or may have to consider your music future if that doesn't help. If you google celebrities or musicians with tinnitus, the list is a long one. So it is just a hazard for such occupation.

4. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10/17 - in remission, late July/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly earphones.
      i think i got it from headphones and it surfaced months after i stopped using them