Completed Use of Modafinil in the Treatment of Tinnitus

To study the effects of Modafinil upon attention problems associated with tinnitus.

1. Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

Use of Modafinil in the Treatment of Tinnitus (version 1.0) - To study the effects of Modafinil upon attention problems associated with tinnitus.

Read more about this resource...

2. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      I've only just started taking Modafinil for daytime sleepiness from OSA. It's working wonders for the daytime sleepiness and it has also indirectly helped the tinnitus.

The tinnitus seems quieter, my head feels clearer, my concentration is better and my vision (of all things) has cleared up quite a it. Hope it continues; but who knows?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      Hi. What is OSA?

• Like Like x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Modafinil is listed as ototoxic and tinnitus causing if I’m not mistaken.

7. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      I only used Modafinil once after my prescription of Pregabalin. And it was when my Tinnitus first started with Pregabalin, halfway through the 1 month I used it. Maybe a bit past it. I tried to use it for energy, motivation, etc. like I always had used it. I never really abused the substance as when I did use it, I'd go for a period of 2-3 months where I'd take it every other day or 1x every 3-4 days, depending on how much work I'd have. I'd eat healthy and exercise during those periods and things went well.

I know taking it daily would offset my circadian rhythm and other things, so I'd give myself rest. Also usually I'd run out of Modafinil and wait a few months before restocking it anyways. Usually from a legal source or the pharmacy.

But when I was in Mexico, 1.1 years before I got tinnitus from Pregabalin... I mixed weed with Modafinil once. It was a horrible experience the first time, because it was the first time I got short term tinnitus. I didn't know what to expect. It lasted a few hours and I ran around the apartment opening windows, shutting them, trying to distract myself with sounds. I thought I was going psychotic, when in fact it was my first real experience with tinnitus. Maybe it was a warning sign? Who knows.

Anyways, after that I noticed if I took the normal 200mg dose I'd get a little bit of tinnitus. I reduced it down to 100mg and things were fine. I'd also get a bit too paranoid on 200mg. But eventually I reduced from 100mg to 50mg and things were good.

However when I took modafinil during the one time after Pregabalin, I already was experiencing tinnitus but noticed it much worse. I hated it. I waited for it to wear off, which unfortunately takes a while.. but eventually it did. I think in my case Tinnitus spikes from Modafinil. Maybe it helped cause it long term, but Pregabalin was the big culprit out of all the things I ever took. However would I suggest Modafinil for those with tinnitus or poor ears? No. I'd recommend staying away from all sorts of stimulants as they can worsen it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      My tinnitus is super loud recently and can't function. Using CD's to try to mask the crazy insane sounds. :mad:

9. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That is very interesting. When you say your vision cleared up, what do you mean?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Was this a lasting effect for you?

11. Mehmet

Mehmet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      traffic accident
      I've got tinnitus at a bearable level. For the last 5 days I started to take Modafinil 100 mg per day morning time. Is this much enough? The pharmacist said it's better to take it with Ginkgo Biloba. Any experience?

He also said it will show its effect after 40 days of use?

12. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Did Modafinil do anything for you?

13. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GBB, although I love the effectiveness of Modafinil, I only take it once a week or so now. Two days or more in a row, it gives me mild heart palpations. Even with taking 1/2 a 100 mg.

It helps me with brain fog & daytime sleepiness. It doesn’t seem to directly affect the tinnitus but since it makes me feel more awake & alert, I believe I just don’t pay as much attention to it.

The effects lasts only as long as the med does. With 50 mg, that’s about 6 hours or so.
      It’s really interesting that the med seems to “clear” my vision. I don’t really notice it’s fuzzy until it clears up. It just brightens it up.

I do have a vestibular disorder called Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops. A main symptom is tinnitus, but also mild vision issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Can I ask what kind of vision issues do you have?

Thank you,
      twa

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mostly I get ocular migraines with auras and sometimes headaches that seem to affect my vision. After taking Modafinil, my vision lightens up & I seem to see sharper.

• Like Like x 1