Using Earbuds

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Mar 17, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had tinnitus for 5 months. I’ve been using earplugs almost all the time, especially at work. It does make my tinnitus much louder when I use them, but I’ve noticed when something is really loud it doesn’t go good with my tinnitus.

I saw where someone wrote not to use earplugs for a long period of time.

So I’m wondering if you use earplugs to help mask out sound, would it make your symptoms of tinnitus worse?

I’m at a stage now, where I know it probably more than likely will not go away, so I’m just trying to get use to it, so I use my earplugs to just listen to my tinnitus to get use to it, but I also don’t want to do something that would make it worse. Just wondering what other people’s opinions on this would be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Do you mean earplugs or earbuds? Was a bit confusing since the title and thread referenced two different things.

I use earplugs in loud situations and not in quiet indoor or outdoor locations. I can always hear my tinnitus and have hearing loss, so I do not need to wear earplugs to just focus on my tinnitus.

The brain needs some sound stimulation. If things are too quiet, your brain can turn up or increase the gain in an attempt to better hear. This can unfortunately make tinnitus louder.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I would not use ear buds to mask tinnitus. If you choose to go the masking route, then possibly hearing aids would be my choice. If you do get hearing aids, make sure a professional adjusts it for you....

PS- I am thinking you mean ear buds, because ear plugs are not used for masking...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Here's the short answer whether you're referring to earplugs or earbuds; don't use either for long periods of time. You need to acclimate to tinnitus under normal conditions and earplugs don't lend itself to that. That said, keep them available should you need them in an emergency.
      If by chance you are referring to earbuds, please consider not using them. They have a very limited dynamic range and can do more harm to your ears than good. If you do use them, limit your use and keep the volume low.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did mean ear plugs, got confused with which one was called what, lol. Thank you all for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Wish you well, Crystal.