Vacuuming a car... Question!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grace, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      So my car has been trashed since i developed T in november cause im afraid of using one of those car vaccumes are soo damn loud!!!! Sounds stupid i know lol afraid of a vaccume but who thinks ill be okay with those 33 db hero foam plugs while doin it?!!!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      And also i have vaccummed my room/house like every week with no issues.. My vaccume in the house is probably 90 somethin decibals.... But i dont do it for more then 15 mins at a time with no plugs...

3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I dont know how loud it is but yes, wear plugs. If you are scared you can wear defenders as well: then the protection will be a pit higher. And take regular breaks, for example 5 min cleaning, 3 resting:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Okay yeah good idea thanks! ill bring my bigass defenders too i dont care if i look like a moron lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      you can make them look extremely fashionable and soon everybody will be wearing them :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Lol ohh yeah totally! But yay my ears are fine and car is clean! But woahhh scares me when you have soo much protection on your ears and it makes your T sound 5 times louder!!!! Couldnt barely hear the vaccume tho..I thought mine was real silent but i have a loudass hiss to both my ears and as soon as i take off the things i can barely hear it anymore so i guess the everyday noise masks it almost fully? Scary stuff.

7. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I never wear earplugs when vacuuming my car. Takes five minutes at most. Why bother? Auditory damage is a function of dB level and length of time exposed.

Stephen Nagler

8. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Stephen Nagler what about dental work. If people with tinnitus were always OK in the past, wouldn't they be OK with tinnitus as long as they don't have the type that reacts to sound? I have always vacuumed the car and cut the grass without protecting my ears and have no problem with it but after reading these posts I'm wondering if I should. Surely we're designed to stand the noise of a vacuum cleaner without it causing problems. I had lots of tests recently and have very good hearing for my age and the bit of high tone hearing loss is not related to noise damage. (Though how she could tell that from the test I don't know but I'm sure you do!) I think as long as we're sensible when in a noisy environment and especially for long periods, then all should be well. My audiologist said she always advises people that if they haven't got hearing damage from noise, then whatever they have done in the past they should continue to do 'cos if they start worrying about sound levels they could develop hyperacusis but just take care with loud sounds. Has anyone deveoped tinnitus from vacuuming? Sorry this is a long reply but I know nothing.

9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Beth -

Dentists are more at risk from dental work than are dental patients. Again it's a question of dB and length of time exposed. In a 1970s survey they found that every dentist who used high-speed drills had high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. [Source: Vernon, 2001]

That said, if you are concerned about auditory damage from dental work, earplugs only help so much - because they do nothing to protect against bone conduction! Dr. Vernon used to recommend that in addition to wearing ear protection, you ask the dentist to stop drilling every once in a while - 5 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 5 seconds on, 10 seconds off, etc.

And while you're at it, bring along a second set of earplugs for your dentist as a gift! :)

Stephen Nagler

10. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. Would noise cancelling headphones help?:)

11. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      For dentistry? No. Noise canceling headphones offer no more protection against bone conduction of noise than do earplugs.

Stephen Nagler

12. mmacabre
      Ape-like

mmacabre Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Do earplugs and/or noise cancelling headphones increase the bone conduction of the sound of the drill?

13. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, I hate vacuum cleaners as well! I always wear earplugs when using them, just too loud!