Vancomycin Started My Tinnitus, Doxycycline Made It Worse, and Now Amoxicillin Triggered It More

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by D.J., Apr 28, 2021.

1. D.J.
      Worried

D.J. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vancomycin
      I'm D.J. (short for Donna Jean) and my tinnitus story started in 2014 after a long bout with Haemophilus and sepsis. I was on antibiotics for several weeks which caused C-Difficile. The treatment for that is, you guessed it, another antibiotic Vancomycin! I was on it for only a couple of days when they had to stop it due to the development of tinnitus. It has never gone away but it did recede to the point I barely heard it unless I became stressed.

Last fall I was put on Doxycycline. I stopped taking it after only 3 pills as my tinnitus exploded to the point I couldn't hear anything! I was so scared it would remain that way but I got lucky. It receded again back to its previous level once the drug was out of my system. Now I'm on the unlucky side...

A couple of weeks ago I was prescribed Amoxicillin for a UTI and unfortunately it has elevated the tinnitus again.

This time it is not receding but at least it's not to the point where I can't hear. My greatest fear is having to take another antibiotic at some point which could make it worse! I'm so afraid of losing my hearing entirely!!

I'm really grateful to have found Tinnitus Talk!

• Like Like x 1
    2. The Bucket Woman

The Bucket Woman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/TMJ/Vancomycin
      Sorry you got C Diff from an antibiotic. I did as well. I also got tinnitus (high pitched) from having to take Vancomycin, oral, to treat the C Diff. My PCP insisted it was IMPOSSIBLE to get it from oral vs IV Vancomycin. Two ENTs did say it was possible (as does the fine print inside the box) but unlikely and pushed for an MRI which I refused. I had taken a full 10 day course. I, too, dread having take antibiotics in the future!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      D.J.
      Worried

D.J. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vancomycin
      Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, I've had three strike outs with antibiotics so decided I better print a copy of the ototoxic list of antibiotics and keep it with me. The list is quite long which is pretty scary!

I suffer from general anxiety disorder so my son suggested that my constant thinking about the tinnitus could be keeping it from receding. He may be right as stress has played a role in it before for me. He & his wife are long users of the app "Headspace" and he suggested I try it. I took a look at it. It's very different and I definately liked what I saw! It helps you with guided/un-guided deep breathing, meditation for stress/anxiety, sleep, etc. I just pray it will help! :unsure: