Very Frightening — In a Vicious Circle of Anxiety and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by andi73, Mar 14, 2015.

1. andi73

andi73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/11/2014
      Hey guys. I am just about 16 weeks into my Tinnitus. I posted before christmas or around christmas, and said I would give this thing a chance to habituate. It has gone mostly well. Tinnitus dropped dramatically at the end of December after a month of very serious T. In Jan and Feb I decided to up my exercise. It helped a lot. I also found that sleep is a must for this thing, as if you dont get the required hours in bed, you are in big trouble the next day with T. I am a bit of a caffeine monster, and I eat too much sugar and salt. these are the outstanding things that I have not sorted out yet. I am also a long term depressive, but have weaned off my meds over the new year. I just felt that this thing could sweep me away with prescribed meds, which is not in my opinion the best way of treating this anyway.

Unfortunately over the last few days, i am in a vicious circle of anxiety and tinnitus. I woke up this morning, and could hear it very loud. I have a very busy and inward looking mind anyway, so when this is going on, you can imagine the lack of peace that I face. I just feel a bit down at the moment. It all seems so pointless. I read other threads and am in resignation that we are all just going to have to accept this extra variable in our lives. It is not going to be easy to do this. Feeling down.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      That's perfectly natural to feel down...I feel a little down today too even tho my T isn't particularly bad at the moment. The best thing to do is distract yourself. Go for a walk, go shopping, call a friend and meet them for lunch, start a home project, watch a movie...anything where you're not dwelling on the T. I live alone but had some of my family over for dinner last night and was so busy all day I hardly thought about the T at all. It sounds like you've made a lot of progress so you should be proud of yourself. Try to accept that setbacks are perfectly normal (I've certainly had my share) and trust that tomorrow will be a better day.

• Like Like x 2
    3. earflappin

earflappin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      @DebS, that was an awesome post! Very sage advice. That is exactly what I do when I start to focus on my T and it never fails to work for me.

• Like Like x 1