Very Loud Low-Frequency Sound in My Left Ear, Only at Night? Anyone Experienced This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thorbamse, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Thorbamse
      Doh

Thorbamse Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1996 - 08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/loud noise exposure
      Hi everyone

I suffer from T and the shit is dragging me through hell at the moment. Initially I thought my increased T starting 3 months ago was just a major spike, but unfortunately it probably is not..

Recently I have been experiencing a very distressing and strange new sound in my left ear, which is actually the one least affected by my normal "hissing"-type sound.

When I go to bed and I lay down, sometimes a VERY loud and very low frequency sound starts, sort of like a fridge run amok. If I wake up in the middle of the night it can sometimes be extremly loud and keep me awake. The very strange thing is, that as soon as I awake in the morning and get out of bed, the sound stops.. And I don't mean that I don't notice it no more because i'm being distracted or because I have habituated or anything. I just simly dissappears? It has shown its ugly face in a more quiet version for very short durations sometimes during the day, but thats rare and it disappears within minutes or seconds.

Has anyone experienced something similar? It hope this thing stays coming out at night only, if it ever appears full time I will jump of a bridge guaranteed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      Hey Thor,
      Mine is also like this in my right ear , and also i have slight hearing loss in that ear .. It actually covers my normal T sound , its more like a hairdryer or airplane engine or maybe someone screaming .. I dont know if yours is reactive but mine is and i get this hairdryer sound when I listen to constant sound like a fan or even it gradually increase with silence and i cant hear it during the day. Maybe its the my hearing loss causing that ? I dunno . T is really weird and different for everyone ..
      Hang in there my friend , Things will get better soon , Cheers

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have this as well, mine sounds like a bunch of cars out front of my house all honking at one time. This is only in my right ear and always starts when I go to bed, gone in the morning. I have had this noise totally disappear for months at a time an then come back. I would be more happy about it going at times but this is not the annoying part of my T, at least this sound is like something here on earth and not so high pitched that it hurts my head/ears.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I have had similar also in my good ear. But I do think my good ear has H if not T and that is what I think affects it. Mine comes and goes mostly lying down but I think its tensor tympani syndrome, something to do with the muscles in the ear contracting in anticipation of sound, or even in the absence of sound. You can read about it on the net I cant describe it very well but thats what I think it is. Look up TTTS

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thorbamse
      Doh

Thorbamse Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1996 - 08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/loud noise exposure
      Hi guys
      Thanks for the answers. The unthinkable has happend. Last sunday I caught a massive cold, blocked tubes, lots of nasal mucus, headaches, inflamed throat you name it. It has subsided a bit but I still have a cold, it won't let go. I can't pressure equalize at all, my tubes are totally blocked still. The problems is, that the hum that used to only rear its ugly head at night is now present 24/7, and its loud, I mean super loud, I can hear it all the time, except in heavy traffic. It feels like my whole head is vibrating and humming. I don' t know what to do.. I think about dying, if this don't subside. This hum/roar in my head is unbearable. Do anyone think that when my cold goes, that my symptoms will fade also? Otherwise i'm doomed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      If it got worse with the cold I think it will subside. Check with the GP to see if you have any infection. Plus you can get a saline nasal spray to help ckear the tubes and do lots of steam inhalations with olbas oil in that will help release mucus.

• Like Like x 1
    7. geofftnt

geofftnt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1998
      Hi all,
      I have had low volume, high frequency T since some dental work over ten years ago, perhaps also previous high noise level damage.
      I got used to it, and use a noise machine at night. In last few months have had a loud hum appear, only in evenings late, goes away in day (or when standing up), different for each ear, usually left, sometime right also, but they are not connected. When both go off is quite weird as get random stereo effects. The hum goes up and down, sometimes pulses on/off, slow beat.
      This is much louder than usual high freq T. The hum also drops freq right down sometimes, and is like a flapping.
      Also, the high freq T has gone up in volume in the left ear only.
      Also increases if ear put against pillow, and it feels like a real sound not a neural thing.
      Noticed I get it more if I lie at a low angle watching TV or reading etc, so stopped doing that and at first it reduced, but now is back more.
      Also more after a bath (but realised that might be the angle of my neck as I take long baths).
      I have had an audiology test and have some high freq hearing loss, no low loss, as mentioned by others as possible cause.
      Just mentioning this. It wakes me up and is annoying, but I sleep badly anyway.
      So wondering if this is a physical thing, from tension in neck or head, water, etc. I am about to look up the tensor timpani syndrome. Perhaps more exercise, also my diet has been a bit rich recently. I'll keep you posted.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi geoffnt,
      First I would get your ears checked for wax build-up or infection.
      It could well be down to neck position or neck problems or just your tinnitus changing for no reason at all but having your ears checked can rule out problems.
      A low salt and sugar diet might help too....lots of love glynis

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I think it will fade. My low tones come and go, they seem to be connected to how blocked up my ears are at the time. Use a lot of steam, cover your head with a towel or better yet, use a steam room. If it's like mine, it can completely disappear when your ears clear. I wish the high pitched tinnitus noises would do the same, unfortunately they seem to be untouchable though in my situation.

• Like Like x 1
    10. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Telis Do you do the hot steams everyday?? For how long??
      QUOTE="Telis, post: 149517, member: 4627"]Yeah I think it will fade. My low tones come and go, they seem to be connected to how blocked up my ears are at the time. Use a lot of steam, cover your head with a towel or better yet, use a steam room. If it's like mine, it can completely disappear when your ears clear. I wish the high pitched tinnitus noises would do the same, unfortunately they seem to be untouchable though in my situation.[/QUOTE]

11. Rado R

Rado R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1992
      i have the same exact thing. humming at nite. its come and gone over the years.

my T is from noise exposure. and recently i might've exposed my ears to more than it could handle. so i think thats why the hum is back. tho i did see my ENT and he removed 2 huge globs of wax from my left ear (where the hum is). and i did notice it went away pretty much during the day (i was having it on and off during the day too). now it just kicks in after about midnite. and sometimes when i bend down or strain myself a little. its pretty strange. gonna go back to my ENT this week and give him the update. there's gotta be some reason for this no? so strange. not like my T (ringing).

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      This is an exact description of a tinnitus I had two months ago. It started just as I was about to fall asleep, tttTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and did not go away until I got clearly awake again. Eventually I got to sleep and then I woke up in the morning with RRRRRRRRRR and when I was fully awake it was completely gone. Not a single remnant of that sound. Only to return the next night, and so it kept continuing. A very strange tinnitus.

However, I recognized the sound. I had had it 2010. The only difference was that back in 2010 this sound was throughout all the day, and then it appeared to shut off as I fell asleep. Then I woke up in silence, only to get it back as I got clearly awake. The sound was exactly the same. A vibration that appeared to come from the middle of the head. Reminded me a bit of an old fishing boat.

I killed the sound both times by remaining in absolute silence.

I find this tinnitus sound quite interesting. Of course it is scary and loud. But also interesting from a science point of view. How can a tinnitus sound either turn on or turn off depending on whether we are going to fall asleep or wake up? That is one very interesting question.

This tinnitus sound appears to be mostly mechanical in nature and is easier to kill by silence. High pitched tinitus sounds are harder to kill that way. On the other hand this humming sound is much more tiresome than a high pitched tinnitus sound.

13. Eimen

Eimen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have the same thing, the sound is like a car passing by, and I alaways get it in periods and then it goes away by it self. I have never had it in my right ear, alaways in my left ear. I did a hearing test and both ears gave the same results, so I dont think its a hearing loss issue. It usually starts when lying down to sleep. Sometimes it gets really loud, other times it's barly noticeable.
      My mother had it at the same age"early 20s" but it went away by itself, as she mentioned. It took her around 3 years. She did not see a doctor because it didn't even bother her that much. She said it was entertaining her, wierd I know, but it I think it has something to do with high blood pressure or a result of sleep disorder. I dont know really.
      I try to sleep with it even though I can easily use a white noise video on youtube, just trying to get used to it as much as possible

14. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      I have the exact same thing! I wonder why it happens.

15. Mark London

Mark London Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident
      Has anybody found a treatment for buzzing sound that gets much worse when lying down? I have this problem also, in one ear. I think it's likely a form of an inner ear spasm (stapedial myoclonus). The buzzing can also start up, when I'm in a very quiet room. I've been using a silicon ear plug at night, and also in noisy environments. It's helps, but it's not a cure. I'm looking for a doctor here in the Boston area, that might have had a patient with this problem. If it is an ear spasm problem, cutting the muscle is one possible treatment. But I have to find a doctor, who is willing to do it! Thanks for any help or recommendations. - Mark

16. lrw

lrw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm stumping my ENT and GP for months now with the same tonal, single ear sound. It's ruined my sleep because it's predominantly at night, laying down. Gets worse towards the morning. Hardly ever kicks in when elevated or during the day. For instance, sleeping in a reclining chair will help. The tone is very different from the high frequency noise of my normal (minor) tinnitus. About 100 Hz. Pure tone. Like a bass guitar note that sustains until I shake my head or otherwise re-position.

Here's what I've told. Rule out Caffeine. If you're a Starbucks addict -- cut it out. COULD be either High or Low Blood pressure. If you're on any meds that affect blood pressure -- check to make sure you're not over-medicated. And the other biggy is sinus infection or severe sinus issues.

I've been worked on for all THREE !!! LOL.. CT scan found a severe sinus infection that had been there for at least 3 years. I just learned to live with it. Cut caffeine and nicotine gum dramatically. AND -- I was over medicated for high pressure causing my BP to drop to scary lows during the night.

Not fixed. They are fixing OTHER issues. Just not the "fog horn" going off all night. MIGHT have gotten a bit better. Don't know what's next on the agenda. ENT says that tonal T usually resolves itself in time. I asked him whether that is WITH or WITHOUT permanent hearing loss at that frequency. He said "WITHOUT".

If anyone has a doctor with more ideas -- put 'em here. There ARE some "electronic therapies" supposedly based on neuro research into T. They are based on audio stimulators that "train" your brain to ignore the "faulty frequencies" sensed in the ear. Don't know about these. Just know they exist and have read the science paper that is the basis for this.

17. Madzu159

Madzu159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Although I regularly listen to music w headphones
      Ok, now that I've read these, mine doesn't seem so bad. Mine resembles a WWII bomber somewhere beyond the horizon. Very faint, but consistent low-frequency hum. It started this Christmas, as I was sitting in front of a TV. Weird thing is, as I move my head or even breathe deep, it stops. But when I'm still, it's back.