Videogames

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Champ, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone here is a big gamer, but when I first got T in January of this year playing videogames was the #1 thing that helped my head not focus on the tinnitus. My favorite game is Starcraft 2, which I've played semi-competitively for a while (been in Master league - top 2% - for 8 seasons). That game more than any other I've ever played (and boy let me tell you I have played a LOT of videogames in my life LOL) requires extreme mental focus and coordination. When I first got tinnitus, it was loud and brutal; not a day went by when I wasn't focusing on it constantly. It was rough. Playing all that SC2 helped me lose focus on the sound and redirect my focus to the gameplay. It makes sense too - all my neurons related to learning got stuck working on figuring out how to win that next match rather than forging new pathways for the tinnitus. I'm sure a few got forged (I mean, I still have it!) but its definitely better off than it was.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331612014685/playing-starcraft-ii-makes-you-smarter

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0070350

Sometimes I wonder if a gameified sound therapy would be extremely effective at reducing tinnitus percept. The research into videogame assisted brain training is already beginning to show positive results and its possible we could speed up the process of neuroplasticity with it. I mean, Luminosity.com is building their business around the concept - why could'nt we do some sort of DDR/Guitar Hero-esque game that retrains the tinnitus sounds?

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I play videogames often for more than 20 years . In my life I probably played every famous PC game you can remember :) When my T become unbearable, playing computer games helped tremendously to forget about T for a while. I think that videogames are great when you want your brain to focus on other things that noise. It is much better than watching TV or movies :)

Currently I like to play Planetside 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Civilization 5, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Diablo 3 and SC2.

• Like Like x 2
    3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I think there is definitely some merit to it, I found that when my tinnitus was really bad - playing through Boardlands 2 and Far Cry 3 helped me adjust quite nicely. Gave me plently of mental breaks from the tinnitus - I can definitely imagine something more cognitively engaging like SC2 or some other tactical based game would help even more.

Pretty sure there was an article somewhere about video game assisted habituation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I was going to create a thread about videogames because it helps me a lot too :)

But not all games, i noticed atmospheric games like "The Last of Us" are not the best because it's all ambient sounds and you need to focus on the acoustic a lot.

Other games that need a lot of concentration like Rayman Legends make my tinnitus completely dissapear. Plus i usually play this game with a friend. Which is very often a hot girl...

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I'm pretty into gaming, and I find it does help. Sometimes the audio is pretty poorly produced though which unfortunately has the opposite effect and irritates my ears.

On the whole though the distraction is great. I'm console based, playing GTA 5 at the minute, it isn't ideal for masking as when you're out of a car without the radio on it's a bit too quiet. But it still helps.

I'm sure there was something about games in hospital helping pain relief because of the distraction and immersion.

• Like Like x 2
    6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Anything that distracts the mind will take away the tinnitus at least temporarily. I play sports and never hear my T during play. My mind is busy with something else. When I am bored or it is quiet, I will almost always hear my T and sometimes it will get louder because of just that. I used to play Diablo for hours on end. Haven't tried 3 yet but may need to check it out.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I find that bullet chess (i.e., 3 minutes or less for all your moves) is a great distraction. -G

• Like Like x 1
    9. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Hey guys any suggestions on a good game for ps3 that may help take T off the mind ?

10. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Games that need concentration and reflexes, like platformers as Rayman Legends for example. Games that have a good dynamic range of sounds and lots of bleeps and clicks. Uncharted series have you tried them ? Uncharted 2 and 3 are really good

• Like Like x 3
    11. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Thanks James i will try the Uncharted series, they sound interesting!

12. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Have you heard of the new Tomb Raider game? That's been taking my mind off of the Noise for weeks now! Hahaahaha Well at least it manages to sometimes. :D

• Like Like x 1
    13. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      There's this new one Beyond two souls. You should try that i love it :)

14. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Man if Counter-Strike 1.6 was still popular, tinnitus would be a non-issue for me I reckon. God damn, I was DEEP in that game, spent (wasted) years of my youth on it.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @marcp Online gaming definitely distracts me, the challenge of playing an unpredictable opponent can really focus your concentration. Sometimes with games there is too much of a pattern. I know that when CoD Ghosts comes out I'll be lost in the multiplayer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Thanks steve H, what is a good online game played on a PC ?

17. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Anyone tried out the new Assassins Creed yet?! Waiting for the multiplayer part, comfort-killing is indeed therapeutical :couchpotato:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm a gamer too... StarCraft, WarCraft, WoW, Diablo (if not already noticed me is a big Blizzard fan ;) thus all Collectors Editions are on the shelf) The Witcher II, C&C, Commandos, Broken Swords series, Monkey Island series Anno 1404 and so on...

• Like Like x 2
    19. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Heeeey guys! if I can recommend a game, I've become a big fan of "Kerbal Space Program" recently. It is a space simulation game where you can build your own rockets, probes, shuttles, etc. and travel to foreign planets. The game is not easy, as it replicates most real physics laws surprisingly well :eek:

Nerdy but very fun and relaxing!

Picture related, my space station under construction :pompus:

JXzelKm.jpg

Also, if anyone would like to hang out and play Borderlands 2 on PC together sometime, send me a message!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      if you need good amusement try youtube a street cleaner simulator, game of the year!
      All from blizzard is worthy meestijn, used to be a pro pvp player in wow eu :D
      Marcp, new assassins creed on pc, go!

• Like Like x 3
    21. Fred

Fred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2009
      Hi Paul,
      Hi All,

great idea to use videogames for T.
      Not sure if every game helps. Maybe only the games with lots of surrounding sounds?
      Or even a game where the sound is important for the gameplay?

I'm not a big friend of guitar hero, though. Any idea for another game where the auditory input is important?

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Sooooo this is awesome

WoW PvP is pretty legit shit

Hey Fred, I'd try giving any game that requires a lot of attention a try. I love strategy games & FPS games so I'd try one of those. Here's a few good options:

FPS
      =======
      TF2 (free)
      Counter-Strike
      Battlefield 4

DotA style (all free)
      =======
      DotA 2
      League of Legends

RTS
      =======
      Starcraft 2 :)love:)

Lemme know which ones you give a shot. All of them are good choices imo.

• Like Like x 1
    23. James White
      Anime

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Games with beeps and clicks sounds are the best @Fred

A game like "the last of us" needs a lot of focusing on sound and it doesn't cover my tinnitus, game that don't focus on sound are the best :)

games that need good reflexes are the best like platformers

With my neighbour, we have been into hardcore nolife retrogaming mode these last few weeks as we are building a Hyperspin arcade station, this thing is just pure bomb

Retrobox Entertainment System: HyperSpin...

• Like Like x 1
    24. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Hi Tenna,
      i just bought the new assassins creed on ps3, great game

25. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      It is fantastic! Well picked. The singleplayer is abit hard to keep track of if you don't know the story prior to this one, which I neither do :p nevertheless it's great amusement. Remember trying out the multiplayer = ) and let me know if you need tips and tricks ;)

• Like Like x 1
    26. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      upload_2013-11-30_22-13-46.jpeg My first Love in 1978!

27. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      The above is a Tandy TRS80 level 2 with a whole 16k of memory! Use to play text only games (Scot Adams)
      Way way way back.

• Like Like x 1
    28. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Guys anyone played GTA 5 yet?

29. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gta 5 is an awesome game, though the radio stations get a bit repetitive after playing a lot. Good distraction from my T, especially when driving.

I've completed 100% of the main game, so doing the online now, fun but better stuff to come as you rank up (I'm level 26 at the minute, need to get more cash to buy an apartment to plan bigger jobs).

30. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      sounds good. i just got the game today! will be getting on the ps3 soon to have a crack at it.
      any tips?