Videogames

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Champ, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Just sit back and enjoy. It totally grabs you from the first mission, a friend of mine has had it for 6 weeks and hasn't gone past 7 missions yet, he's just been cruising around enjoying the scenery and random events, jacking planes and helicopters. It's a totally epic game.

If you want to max up the cash, keep the Lester assassination missions til the end. You get to manipulate the stock market on them so If you've done the final heist before you do them you'll have loads to invest.

2. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      cheers! gonna be a 48 hours elder scrolls online beta tester! anyone else planning on getting it!?=)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I'm already in the Beta as of the moment. You guys should keep a look out for me on Twitch.tv/PackyOnTwitch

As soon as I get my new gaming rig, I will be trying my hand as a core streamer and will be doing fundraisers for Tinnitus and Hyperacusis research.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I should have my new rig in approximately 30 days

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Unfortunately I never play MMOs... sorry guys or else I would join! I've been playing a bit of Hearthstone recently... I really like the background music they have hahah

6. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      Video games are pretty much the only time I %100 can't hear my tinnitus. Combination of masking and just...being so involved with the game, I don't hear it.

If there's enough interest, we should create a Steam group!

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. RevMarine
      Musical

RevMarine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/10/2013
    8. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Funny speaking of video games, the other day I found my old PS2 and some playstation games, final fantasy VII, final fantasy VIII, final fantasy IX, and final fantasy tactics.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Those games were great, what do they play like now?

I've got mine in a cupboard somewhere, will have to dig it out. I love the older games, still got my MegaDrive with desert strike, jungle strike and urban strike - will have to dig that out too.

10. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Emulators like pcsx for playstation or Gens for the Megadrive work like a charm today, it's a piece of cake for any core2duo and superior processor :)

Just finished SuperMetroid during these last holidays, what a GREAT game !

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I still break out my SNES

12. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Oh and it you want to add me on steam search for II Packy II

13. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Just let me know your STEAM ID so I can put a face to the name so to speak

14. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      if you're looking for a very deep and challenging platformer, i suggest Spelunky, you can get it on Steam. this game really showed me that games can still be as fun as they were when i was a kid. i've put over 140 hours into it and i still don't have every achievement. it isn't for casuals by any means, though. prepare to die a lot and potentially get so mad you throw your controller across the room.

highly recommend you to use an xbox 360 controller. keyboard and mouse feels pretty awkward with this game.

this here's a speed run. don't feel discouraged if you aren't this good right away. ;)

Spelunky Hell Speed Run - 6:52:162

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      If you guys are fans of Speedrunning AGDQ 2014 is on Twitch.tv right now! They raise money for Cancer Prevention and Research. They have a $500,000 goal and the stream ends on Monday and they've already raised $400,000. If you love seeing your old childhood favorites destroyed by professional runners or just want to make a donation, go to http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

• Like Like x 1
    16. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      I still play unreal tournament 2004 online. When I play games, I am into a total different world where I don't notice ringing in my ears.

17. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I wish we could digitize ourselves out of these imperfect bodies and live in a Tron-like world.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I haven't played video games in years so I put Final Fantasy VII in and my first reaction was...MY EYES!!! The graphics are pretty bad and they actually hurt my eyes at first. However, seeing that game and playing a little bit of it again reminds of me when I first got my Playstation with Final Fantasy VII.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. DanielJP
      Curious

DanielJP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Wow! I'm happy to find so many gamers here! I've been gaming since Atari 65XE, Amiga 600 and Commodore 64. Great times! Since then I was an avid Nintendo fan boy with NES, SNES, the Cube, and Wii until more and more I went over to the PS2 and PS3 (I still bought a WiiU though ;) )

Lately played: Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Dragon Age: Origins (again), Guild Wars 2 and a surprisingly funny One Finger Death Punch. Try it out ;)
      Will soon play: Assassin's Creed 3 and Infamous: Second Son.
      Favorite genre: Probably RPGs

Although at uni I wasted many hours in counter strike mastering the knife-kill, to many n00bs frustration :cool:

Maybe we should arrange a gaming session?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Now I'm tempted to return back to gaming and stop waiting for Half Life 3... :)

To @Champ 's original post and comment about T + gaming as a way to rewire the brain, I totally agree. I actually just hinted a game developer friend of mine that this is an area that will probably grow in the future as a therapy / treatment for many disorders. Oh, and add biohacking into the mix like tDCS and who knows where we will get.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I'd be up for a gaming session

22. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I love xbox call of duties...asassins creed..free for all.. If my T ever gets louder i know for a fact that games will get my attention off it cause i get so into it lol

23. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Playing Clash of Clans on multiple ipad and smartphone devices with my kids. This distracts me. Also playing old Arcade games like Galaga or Moon Patrol on my PC. Sometimes we also play on the xbox.

24. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      So... which console should I buy? :) I do have a semi decent PC as well, but I have been thinking about console for a while now.

25. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      You should consider pc streaming with me for Tinnitus research fundraising and awareness. :D

26. DanielJP
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Sound Wave PS4! ;)

@Champ Where do you live? Probably quite some time difference to Tokyo, but we could probably find a window somewhere!

27. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @DanielJP I'm soon to get a PS4, wasn't happy with no backwards compatibility, you get loads of cool PS3 games on PS Plus. Don't really want 2 boxes - is it worth the upgrade at the moment?

What did you think of the Last of Us? I loved the game but it was also kind of depressing.

28. DanielJP
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Steve I wasn't happy with no backwards compatibility either, but I understand why they choose not to. They would need to put in a double set of hardware which would raise the price a lot I think.

I think it's ok to wait a bit before upgrading. The game collection for PS4 is still quite small. If you're like me and do decide to upgrade (new shiny things = immediate gratification!) you should get inFamous. The graphics are super and gameplay is good.

I love Last of Us. One of the best, scariest games I've played. But it's also frustrating when you sometimes have to kill 20 people to move on. Why do people kill each other when there are hardly any humans left in the world?? I don't get it..

29. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      I play games it helps me lots

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Chrisarti
      Thinking

Chrisarti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I agree anything that provides hand eye coordination, audio perception and mental focus can help mask tinnitus. Although I do notice that tinnitus can have a rebound effect, my experience when playing is I get very involved but so do my nerves at times and that can be just as taxing as a few cups of coffee., on the other hand the temporary relief from it is worth every minute. Play on :)

• Like Like x 1