Vinpocetine — An Honest Opinion

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rahamut Mohammed, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Vinpocetine on Amazon.com

Hi,
      My name is Rahamut and I DO NOT have Tinnitus. However my wife does and has had it for years. I have had the unfortunate task of trying to help her in any way that I can beat this thing it has been heart rending at times. Like many of you, she has had to endure many nights of no sleep and the excruciating pains that go with it. There were many, many days and probably months of silence for her. It got progressively worst as time went by to the point where some days she felt that she would die.

After almost 16 years and after searching high and low for a cure, and after spending lots of money and running test after test, She finally got some relief from a drug called CARVINTON forte. 10mg. taken three times per day initially but now taken once per day. This together with some help with therapy which a friend referred me to , she is now quite comfortable and is able to manage the excruciating noise which she once had.

Carvinton forte was made in one of those European countries and information is widely available on the Internet I don't know if it is available in the US. I hope I am able to help some of you ease your suffering. Remember, Tinnitus will not go away completely but it can be managed properly. My wife now knows that after so many years.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NO DOCTOR AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TAKE ANY DRUG WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR PHYSICIAN.

Rahamut

• Like Like x 6
    2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hi Rahamut,

I have moved this from "Treatments" to "Alternative Treatments and Research", since Cavinton Forte (Vinpocetine) doesn't appear to be part of a medically-accepted tinnitus treatment. I've only search briefly, and seen that vinpocetine is a herbal remedy, although it has undergone inconclusive tests for non-tinnitus conditions.

Thanks for posting, I hope your wife continues to improve.

DD

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rahamut Mohammed

Rahamut Mohammed Member

Carvinton forte is not a herbal remedy. It has been tested extensively in Europe and is used there. I was told by a friend that the US F&D has not approved this drug for use in the US but persons are buying it and bringing it into the US for friends and family. Where I live in the Caribbean, we can get it here with a prescription.

Many of the things that are not good for us are pushed on an unsuspecting public while those things that are good, are branded as BAD. There is a Documentary called 'Food Matters', This is a very instructive documentary. I can only say what works after the trying times we have had with this problem.

PS. All drugs are extracted from herbs.
      Rahamut

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rahamut Mohammed

Rahamut Mohammed Member

I can only say what has worked for my wife after the trying times we have had. Carvinton forte has been tested in Europe and is commonly used there for a variety of ailments one of them being a loss of hearing due to tinnitus. It is more commonly used for stroke victims( my wife had a stroke and this was prescribed for her. This is how we discovered this drug).

• Like Like x 2
    5. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hi Rahamut,

You're right.

Herbal Remedies

I am quite wrong in labelling Vinpocetine an "herbal remedy" in the sense that it should be considered less worthy because of its plant-based origin. Not only that, it's a prescribed drug for stroke victims. I'm truly sorry if I've caused any distress or offence.

Tinnitus Treatment

I've found some research on vinpocetine in treating tinnitus (referenced elsewhere on this site, too), from a Polish study in 1997: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9757711.

I'm going to move this back to "Treatments", because there is an open question backed by research on its effectiveness for tinnitus. Everybody hold on..

DD

• Like Like x 2
    6. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      DezDog, well done!

7. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thank you for posting the information about Carvinton - is this the same as Cavinton? Please do let us know more.

Click

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I tried Vinpocetine daily for the first 2 months of my T and it had no affect. I am glad it worked for your wife, however, I don't want to get anyone hopes up with another supplement. The fact is that there are no verifiable double-blind placebo studies on it's effectiveness for Tinnitus. I also know several people who have tried it with no success. Vinpocetine has been around a long time so you would think that if it was really effective, it would have been endorsed by the ATA, British Tinnitus Association and others and it has not. However, if it is something that you want to try out for yourself, it seems to be a safe alternative.

As of today, there is no cure for tinnitus and no medication that can get rid of it 100%. Calling a product a tinnitus cure is just misleading and fraudulent. There are things we can do to make tinnitus more bearable and since T affects people different we often must figure out what things work best for us. There is more tinnitus research than ever and I am confident that successful treatments (not named neuromonics or soundcure) will be available in the near future. So I have hope I won't have to live with this forever and so should you. Until that day comes we must finds ways which work for us to cope. When that day comes believe me, it won't be in an e-book or supplement, and we won't have to seek out the information about it----when the day comes we will all know just about it.

• Like Like x 3
    9. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello Rahamut.

I think the drug you have in mind is called "Cavinton", without r.

My grandmother has been taking it after a stroke.

Oh and I just saw the study you have posted, DezDog. It was done by prof. Olszewski's team I see. It is the same team that worked on electrical stimulation of cochlea. I met with prof. Olszewski and he is really a knowledgeable person. However it looks like they have been working on a tinnitus treatment since 90's and still haven't found anything really effective...

10. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I'm taking a break from Magnesium , B12 and B Complex. Still taking Niacine ,Black Cohosh, lecithin granules ,and (Ashwagandha drops and chamomile tea to sleep ), t has been much better.
      Today is my second day on Vinpocetine 15 mg, 3 times a day and
      Already I'm feeling a huge difference in my T, feeling happy, fingers crossed !

• Like Like x 3
    11. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Sherri,

I really hope the Vinpocetine works for you. A good friend of mine is a clinical scientist for a major Pharm company, and she said there is good data that V can really help certain types of T. I really hope thats you!!!

Intrigued, can you tell me more about "(Ashwagandha drops and chamomile tea to sleep )"?? Thanks!!

• Like Like x 2
    12. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi @Jeff M. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, greatly appreciate it. Wonderful to hear that your friend said that about Vinpocetine. I had another very quiet day today, I just tried to enjoy the day and remained happy and relaxed.let,s see what tomorrow morning brings !

Here's a link about chamomile :http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chamomile.html and Ashwagandha :

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-ashwagandha.html

For me they relax the nerves and I sleep peacefully.

Wish you healing and quiet days too.

Sherri

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In 1997, a Polish study was done that used Vinpocetine to treat acoustic trauma that resulted in hearing loss and tinnitus. It found that 50% of those who took vinpocetine within one week of the incident had their tinnitus disappear. It also noted that 79.2% of patients experienced improved hearing and 66.6% had a significant decrease in their tinnitus [7]. In a 1986 review, Vinpocetine was also found to improve hearing and decrease tinnitus in patients who had suffered acute acoustic trauma [8].

http://patrickgillespie.hubpages.com/hub/Vinpocetine-as-an-Effective-Tinnitus-Treatment

Posted by a doctor from
      http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-patrick-gillespie-xkdyw

For real!? Seems like it's a more potent vasodilator than ginkgo.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Thanks for the links Sherri!! (y) Have a wonderful, peaceful weekend friend!

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey EddyLee, I have read about the Polish study, and it is intriguing! But I believe the control group was really small, like 20 people. Might be a different study. Anyhow, it didn't work for me, but I REALLY hope it works for some people out there!!! Have a great weekend!!

• Like Like x 1
    16. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Jeff, how early did you tried vinpocetine? Is your T caused by acoustic trauma?
      Had i know about this in the early days i would have try it.
      Great weekend for you too!

17. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I did try it within the first 3 months. No, my T is Idiopathic (non noise/trauma induced), neurological. V might work better for people with A.T. Don't know.

18. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      has anyone ever tried vinposetine

19. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Im currently using it. 60mg per day. Maybe it helps but for me its definetly no cure

• Like Like x 1
    20. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you

• Like Like x 1
    21. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Made my t worse

22. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yikes

23. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I think it can only help -if at all- people in tge acute phase

24. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Has anyone had much luck with Vinpocetine? I started taking it and like other medications and supplements I received the same results. It works for a couple of days and then the tinnitus comes right back.
      I don't know it I should just stop taking it or continue for a while to give it some more time... If you did get positive results how long did it take to start working?
      I notice that after I eat a heavy meal my tinnitus spikes. Especially if I have a meal with a lot of red meat.
      I'm thinking of going on a fasting diet but I need to take the Vinpocetine with food.

25. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      This always happens to me. Why does this moderator have to put my NEW POSTS at the bottom of an old post! Jesus. I'm not going to get any replies that way. This forum is no help at all!!!!!!! This is bullshit! I have had some of my questions sent to the bottom of five year old posts. How is that going to help me? I'll tell you, it won't. It's not like I'm spamming. I only post every couple of weeks or so.
      Thanks for nothing. This post started 4 years ago. I don't even know why I'm even bothering to type this. no one is going to read this.
      Stuck at the bottom of a four year old post. Christ. Unbelievable.
      The only way you don't get stuck at the bottom of an old post is if you say you're going to kill yourself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's how forums work... That's how almost all internet forums work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Well I stopped the Vinpocetine 4 days ago and I still am sick to my stomach and have a constant blinding headache.
      I still feel weak as a kitten. I can barely function. Maybe if I didn't get stuck at the bottom of a four year old post someone might have the chance to warn me about this shit.
      When someone says their going to kill themselves their post doesn't get sent to the bottom of a five year old suicide post. No, the same people keep showing up again and again over and over at the top of a brand new post saying that they have finally had it. Then three days later they have another brand new post all over again saying that they are going to kill themselves. They get 600 replies only to show up a week later with the same old bullshit.
      This forum needs a section just for people that want to commit suicide.
      And, I won't get a chance to warn others about how dangerous Vinpocetine is because I'm stuck way the fuck down here. I can say "fuck" because no one is going to read this anyway

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @erniej if you reply to old posts from 2004 then your post is at the bottom of an old thread. If you reply to new posts from 2016 then your post is at the bottom of a new thread. It has nothing to do with the content of your post. it's just how the forum works.

I would be pretty surprised if any of the problems you're experiencing have anything to do with vinpocetine; it's a very mild substance. If you think you're having an adverse reaction, just stop using it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I didn't reply to an old post. I started a new thread and got moved to an old thread. That's the point that I am trying to make. I did say "post" when I meant "thread." If you took the time to read what I wrote I said that I stopped using Vinpocetine four days ago and I am still very sick. I should have done this sooner but I did some research and it is not a "very mild substance."
      In Germany you need a prescription. I got this from a research study. From people that know what they are talking about.
      "In other words, while vinpocetine may be neuroprotective under some experimental and clinical conditions, it may also interfere with monoamine storage, and affect the way in which the brain responds to drugs acting through dopaminergic, adrenergic, or serotonergic pathways (e.g. amphetamine, modafinil, methylphenidate, cocaine, SSRIs, bupropion, etc). Serious consideration should be given before taking vinpocetine, as it is a highly active pharmacological agent that interacts and interferes with a wide array of brain systems and functions."
      So, you have people taking SSRIs for tinnitus related depression that may be harmed by taking Vinpocetine. And if I try to start a new thread about what my research showed up the information will just end up down here.
      New thread being moved to an old thread.

30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The forum admins sometimes consolidate posts on the same subject. Everyone will still see the thread as having new posts, and it will still be on top of the list of threads.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.