Vitamin B12, Link Between B12 Deficiency and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl28, Sep 9, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Karl28
      Wishful

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      So after some blood tests done a few months ago I have a vitamin b12 deficiency.

From looking on Google there seems to be some links between tinnitus and vitamin b12.

Some even say that tinnitus is more common to happen to people with low b12.

Has anyone here taken vitamin b12?

I'm just wondering if it could be helpful to me since I have this deficiency in it.

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey,

Yes you should be increasing your b12 if you are deficient in any case. I took Solgar's b12 methylcobalamin 1mg/1000ug per day for about a month. I didn't realise you were only supposed to take one or two per week so when I had my blood test it came back really high. It sadly had no impact on my tinnitus.

By the way the best blood test to get is for active b12 and not the serum b12 which only looks at your b12 stores. I had to do quite a bit of research to find that out. The methylcobalamin are the better ones and dissolve under your tongue going straight in to the blood stream. Overdosing is hard because b12 is water soluble. I hope you get better results than me.

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh and one other thing, you should take it with a B complex vitamin that includes B6 otherwise it doesn't work as well. I also increased my B vitamins naturally in my diet by eating liver pate etc but you can look up some good foods that you like which are high in this group of vitimins.

4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I took the methylcobalamine B12 for several months after getting tinnitus, thinking it would help because I'm probably deficient in it since I'm a vegetarian. Vegetarians tend to have low B12 levels because B12 is derived from meat sources.

Unfortunately, like most of the supplements I've taken, it made no difference at all. Very disappointing.

5. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise
      I have been vegan for 7 years and have taken b12 for that long. Blood tests always came back fine and I have not noticed any effect on my tinnitus.

I take VEG1, which is designed for a vegan diet, so that may or may not be too much of a good thing for you. As ChrisJ said, always try to get rid of vitamin deficiencies, whether they may directly have an effect on your tinnitus or not.

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      B12 deficiency usually comes from a lack of dietary B12 (i.e. meat), or an absorption failure (not taken in or not taken up). The outcome is usually pernicious anaemia as B12 is essential for red blood cell maturation. Absorption issues can be triggered by auto-immunity meaning certain cells in the stomach that absorb B12 can be destroyed, or reduced in number. Auto-immunity is becoming a big issue in developed countries. It's implicated in Menierre's (inflammatory changes to middle ear tissue on visualization), so I wouldn't be surprised if some cases of tinnitus and various other other attendant issues had a chronic inflammatory component.

7. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have a problem in absorbing vb12 although I eat lots of meat

8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The capacity for absorption is influenced by the quantity of working Parietal cells in your stomach. These cells produce something simply called "Intrinsic Factor" which is needed to make B12 absorbable. B12 is acid-sensitive and relies on other enzymes to ship it through the stomach shielding it from acid exposure. It gets absorbed in the duodenum where it is more alkaline.

Conditions like type 1 diabetes come into existence as certain cell types in the pancreas become destroyed or depleted at a rate that drops their numbers below that necessary for their function to occur. The relationship between hair cells and deafness is a kind of similar concept. You lose them faster that they can salvage/replenish whatever, thus a chronic disease process ensues.

9. John G

John G Member

I think I read that b12 shots are the best way. I also read that the usual testing the regular doctors do for b12 levels are not that accurate.

10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you can't get it from dietary absorption anymore its the only way.