VNG (Videonystagmography) Test Anyone? Did It Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynnette, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Has anyone had a VNG (videonystagmography) due to dizziness and their T? If so did it affect your T in any way? I know there is a test they do by putting cold and warm air into the ear canals so this concerns me with my T. I'd like to find out if my dizziness is an inner ear thing or a neurological use but I'm scared to take this test.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Well, my chiropractor has a VNG machine, and he did conduct a VNG test on me, without any adverse effects.

But I'd be interested to hear from others who have had this test performed in a doctor' office. Was it performed by a neurologist? What did he do?

Thanks!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Karen hopefully more people will chime in here. I'm nervous about this test and my T (anything going into my ears right now freaks me out!). It will be performed by an my ENT. Do you ever get clogged ears at all? I'm noticing during periods of high stress and anxiety my ears are becoming clogged and I need to pop them by yawning (like when you are in an airplane).

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lynnette,

Don't worry about the fullness-in-the-ears-feeling. It's a common occurrence among tinnitus sufferers. I had it for about 2 1/2 years, and then it finally just went away, on its own.

It used to drive me crazy, and I would try everything to get my ears to pop. Nothing worked, and it finally went away. I believe it has to do with an imbalance in the Eustachian tubes. When your body habituates to the tinnitus, balance is restored and the pressure feeling stops.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      I'm thinking about vestibular therapy for the dizziness...did you ever try this? If so, did it help?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, not formally. But my chiropractor did work on my balance/dizziness issues. He is a chiropractic neurologist (a chiropractor who is trained on brain functions), and he worked with me on improving my balance. I haven't had any problems with balance for about 6 months now, so it must have worked! He used various eye and hand exercises, in my particular case, to get the correct portion of the brain to "fire" properly.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      I'll have to look for one of those in my area. So how long after the onset of T did you have balance and dizziness issues? It all started with me at the same time...dizziness, ear popping crackling, followed by T 5 days later. Severity of the dizziness waxes and wanes but it's always there in the background. It's very frustrating to feel this way all the time. I'm not sure if it has to do with my anxiety or my ears.

8. fowl05

fowl05 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/10/2013
      I have had a VNG and caloric test with a rotating chair test, total test time of 2 hours to check for vestibular damage. Scheduled for VEMP test tomorrow with a neuro audiologist hoping to identify the cause of T which is only in my left ear and is pulsatile. I have had angiogram of brain to check for vascular cause which was negative so diagnosis of vestibular neuronitis was given but most people with VN do not have T. Hoping it's not Menieres. The caloric test can make you dizzy but the diagnosis is based on the response of nystagmus in the eyes during the ear irrigation. A neuro otologist is the best doctor to diagnose dizziness and possible vestibular damage.

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Have had the VNG test several times, as I have had vestibular issues in the past, and one of those time was right after I was diagnosed with tinnitus. They always have been done by an ENT. The post-tinnitus one showed the same results as previous tests; I have some central nervous wiring that makes me vestibularly challenged but no serious issues.

The VNG test is no big deal. It may make you a little woozy briefly but the effect wont last long. If you are worried, set up someone to drive you home.

If you are having ongoing dizziness, I would ask the ENT about vestibular therapy. I know it has worked for many people, including my mother. They basically do some repositioning, like the chiropractor did for Karen, and give you exercises to do on your own.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, Lady Di, that's pretty much the same thing my chiropractor did for me. And it did take time, but eventually it worked. I am not experiencing any major balance issues at this time. I'm glad it worked for your mother, too.

Lynette, if you decide to have this done, please let us know what the outcome was. It might work for you, as well!
      And, to answer your question -- yes, my balance issues started at the same time my tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus ramped up.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Thanks for all the comments. I have an appointment at the end of the month for a vng and rotating chair test (the thought of that makes me dizzy!). I'm not sure what they'll do with the outcomes since if it's an ear issue or neurological issue won't both of these determinations lead you to vestibular therapy? Is the vng even worth it in the end or should I skip right to this kind of therapy? I know my pdoc says my dizziness is related to my anxiety but i just don't buy it. I've had dizziness since the onset of my t and I'm dizzy I completely non stressful or anxiety producing situations. I feel docs are quick to blame everything on either anxiety or depression these days!

12. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

Hi Lynette,
      Is your dizziness like you feel unsteady- imbalance or more like vertigo where everything is spinning around you?
      I went to my doctor on Tuesday and was diagnosed with suspected Eustachian Tube Dysfunction which can be the reason of my constant dizziness. Could you have this also?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      The dizziness is more of a unsteady imbalance like I'm on a ship and I find myself veering to the left a lot. Also just a dizzy head cloudy feeling all the time...24/7. What is your doctor having you doing for the Eustachian tube dysfunction?

14. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

We are twins Lynette. Exactly what you said. that is how I feel.
      My doctor highly suspects allergy caused ETD.
      I'm taking Claritin 10 mg- once a day. So far I have had a lot of junk go down the back of my throat.
      Yesterday was a fairly good day as far as dizziness goes- didn't feel much at all. But today is another story.
      Thing is, I have anxiety.. really bad anxiety and have had it for many years. Anything health related and I'm a total mess.
      (Another doctor I saw said that my anxiety-fear is much worse than what I am actually going through health wise)
      I am utterly embarrassed by my anxiety also. Which causes more.

I'm going to an audiologist on the 17th of January. I have ringing in my head, but seems more pronounced from my left ear.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Ajg yes some days are a little better than others...I've been keeping a journal to see any patterns since September but there isn't any rhyme or reason to it. I have very bad anxiety as well. Most docs dismiss me quickly and say the dizziness /lightheadedness is anxiety...which I can understand if I have anxiety in stores, specific situations or when I start to obsess about my health (this is huge for me), but this low level dizziness is constant even when I'm home or out doing something not anxiety producing. I started lexapro about 2.5 months ago for depression but the dizziness stayed constant so I can't blame the meds on it. I've had right ear pain often, mri of my brain and ears and all was fine. Been to an audiologist as well and have a slight high frequency hearing loss in both ears...didn't ever notice it though. T is coming from my brain but more pronounced in my right ear. Let me know how the Claritin works. How long have you been dizzy? Did it coincide with the onset of your T? Mine did....dizziness and tinnitus followed a week later.

16. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

All this started for me last month, early December. My right ear had sharp stabbing pains. I got it checked out- normal. Both ears were fine- no redness- nothing.
      The pain was off/on for the next 2 weeks. I went back again to get checked out- normal. Dr had me plug my ears very tightly then put a tuning fork on my head to see if I could hear it at all- in one ear or the other- or hear it with both ears.
      I was able to hear it fine in both ears.

A few days after Christmas I felt dizzy/unsteady and had a high pitch ring/hiss in my left ear. But I don't know which came first, the ringing or the dizziness. And I can't say for sure if the ringing is new. It may have been there all along- I can't say for sure.
      I do have a very low sounding 'static' in my head- both ears- but always thought that was normal.
      But if I HAVE to pick, I would say dizziness first- then ringing.

Went back again to get my ears checked- this was a few days ago as I posted above.

Now, when I look back on my notes to myself, when I take Lorazepam (ativan) 0.5mg at bedtime, all that night I sleep better and all the next day my dizziness is very very mild to gone. This lasts until the 24 hr mark - from the time I took the Lorazepam the previous night --- hmm
      So if I took the lorazepam at 11pm Tuesday night I'm good until 11pm Wednesday night.
      I notice in my notes that this is a definite pattern. Thing is though I still have the ringing in my ear BUT I haven't noted if it's any softer or louder.

What I conclude from this is:
      1. lorazepam .05mg stays in me for 24 hrs
      2. it helps with my dizziness- it masks it--??
      3. my anxiety is making my dizziness worse
      4. I don't have a clue!

I've been on a lot of anti- depressants myself, lexapro; celexa; zoloft (this made me manic); paxil; luvox.
      All made me ill. Too many side effects. I suffer from mild depression and not so mild panic/anxiety & OCD as can be seen with my health obsessions.

Although I can honestly say that my health OCD became apparent just within the past couple of years. And it's so hard for me to take hold of this.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Ajg just checking in to see how things are going with the dizziness? Are you still taking the Lorazepam nightly?

I have a VNG scheduled in 2 weeks and hope to narrow down where the dizziness is coming from...although I'm not sure just how specific it is.

I completely understand regarding the health anxiety...it is always something with me as well!

18. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

Hi Lynette,
      My dizziness is gone (for now).
      I'm still taking Clariton everyday and as for the lorazepam, I take it maybe once a week- sometimes less- sometimes more. It really depends on my anxiety level. The lorazepam 0.5mg lasts a long time with me so I don't like to take it all the time.

I don't sleep well at all. I have insomnia. When I take it at bedtime and I don't sleep well, I'm groggy all the next day.
      My tinnitus hasn't changed. I get spikes often. The loudness is the same too.

I posted a few weeks ago about my audiologist visit. She said I have almost perfect hearing- that of child. And she agreed with my GP that I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction-- thus the daily clariton to clear up the dizziness. Also checked for tumors- none.

19. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      stay away from ECOG, Caloric, Acoustic Reflex, VEMP. I made my T/H permanently wors.e

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I had it done and went on fine with the test.
      It will cause vertigo for a minute or two and eye movement registered with the special goggls while having vertigo.
      Love glynis x

21. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      @glynis did you do the VEMP test it also tests for vestibular issues

22. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Not sure...did one with glasses on and a red light shot across a wall a few times.
      Sorry not replied earlier,I just need a little time to myself as Mothers day is at the weekend and lost mine 9 month a go..
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 1