Was Doing So Well, Then It All Went Downhill Fast

Discussion in 'Support' started by flobo, Apr 18, 2018.

1. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      Hey all, I had my initial trauma 10 months ago.

Was a difficult first few months, but I protected my hearing a lot (avoiding loud places, wearing custom -35 dB plugs outside and Peltor muff when things got loud).

The tinnitus had slowly lowered o a slight "shhh" that was so low i was ok to sleep in a silent room (and i hardly heard the tinnitus even with the Peltor on most days, or if i heard it it didn't bother me).
      I had stopped all medication.

5 days ago, looking for work, I had a Skype call. Basically my PC messed up and the Skype ringing tune was much higher than it usually is. Took me 20 seconds to stop it but apparently it may have been too long.

Now I'm back to a loud baseline tinnitus with new very high pitched sounds coming and going on top of it.
      Very depressed and angry that one small mistake can mess my ears again when my life was finally going so well again.
      I'm now considering going back under AD since I have a hard time coping with this.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Probobly just a spike...take it easy for a few days.

3. BadratDay
      Insomnious

BadratDay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 march 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a mess of anxiety music too maybe
      Mmmmm I understand you, hard to protect our hearing from everything , accident and mistake happen its almost inevitable even for the most diligent , but its only been 5 days, maybe it's just temporary with a lot stress added to it. just relax and give it time and you will get better. Like you said go back to AD if you think you cant handle the situation, take every help you can

4. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Sounds like you are over protecting your ears. Everytime you go outside you wear ear plugs?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      So far, yes, and it works for me.

In the first few weeks, i tried not do, to have sound enrichment at night and everything got worse gradually to the point i couldn't even handle the sound of the ticking clock, the sound of the wind or the sound of the sea outside.
      Even taking a shower spiked T and it was always way worse after a night with low level sounds around me.

I fully stopped sound enrichment fully at night, spent as much time in silence as i could, used plugs outside and it truly helped.
      I even slept with plugs the first few months (i no longer need to do that now).

Hyperacusis is 95 % gone after a year.

I can spend a day in Paris or London with no issues.

Most everyday sound do not hurt and no longer make T react.

I still have bad T days here and there, but mostly it's way better than last year.
      I see no reason to stop over protecting since it's working so well.

• Like Like x 1