Watching TV or Playing Video Games with Hyperacusis; Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dja, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      So I've been dealing with distorted hearing and a bit of reactive tinnitus (hyperacusis I know) from some sounds. Things are getting better and better despite me living normally everyday, but you kind of never know for sure if something's damaging or not with this disorder. I just wanted to be sure.

Is it ok to watch TV and play video games at low volumes even if they sometimes bring a bit of discomfort? I have started doing this with a cap on over my ears. It makes things a bit more comfortable so it works for me so far. I just want to be sure.

2. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Normal everyday sounds should be safe, just avoid anything too loud like noisy bars, clubs, power tools etc.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      My advice would be: go ahead playing them, but just to be sure, don't use a headset and get a solid studio microphone if you need to use communication. I bought one, and though it took a while to set up correctly, I can now use it without problems while playing. Just make sure it has a cardioid mode so that it can be used without capturing your game sounds.

Of course, watch the volume a bit as well, but you have to do that anyway when using the mic :D

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I would not listen to any sound that causes me discomfort, whether via headphones, speaker or any other type of sound source.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can anyone add to this? Does discomfort even at the lowest volumes need to be avoided? I would think it would perhaps be better to face it instead untill the ear adapts and discomfort dissapears or doesnt it work like that?

6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      This is a question I have about hyperacusis... if someone is sensitive to certain sounds... is that pain doing damage?

If the mechanics of the ear is that damage is done over “x” dB... then anything below that, even painful to some... should be harmless (other than the pain)... correct?

7. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      This is a question I struggle with every day. I still don't know the answer. Some will say don't overprotect. Others will say the more silence you can get the better. My H will start to get better for no apparent reason and then spike right back up for no apparent reason. Can't find the answer. I am 3 months in. I too have sound distortion and reactive tinnitus as well as loudness H with pain. Sometimes one is better. Some times two of them are better. But never all three at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It should be ok at low volume, and if you feel something weird or discomfort, just limit the time you are exposed to the sound, and try to increase exposure time very slowly and progressively.

9. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Can you describe your trigger noises more? Is it bothering you across all frequencies?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's usually videogames with a lot of synth type of soundtracks. Those really tick off my ear, and then when I quit it goes away again.

11. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      You could play around with the game's volume a bit.

Start by disabling all sounds and see if playing affects your T in one hour: if it does, then sound is not (the only) issue. Should there be no effect, then you have excluded other possible variables.

Next up, slowly increase volume each session. Write down the settings and the effect on T after one hour of play. This should give quite some insight into what levels you can (not) work with.