Water sports and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Does anyone here swim, surf, dive...etc?

I haven't done anything water sport related since the onset of my T due to fear that water in the ear could make things worse.

Maybe I'm being paranoid?

2. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I swim everyday doing laps, I wear ear plugs and always wipe my ears dry afterwards. I also avoid diving and going underwater in the deeper end.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Do you wear earplugs becasue you get tempory issues? Or do you think you will do permanant damage?

I like to surf, I guess maybe this is out as a ton of presure can build up quickly if you are taken under. Or if you fall ear to water.

4. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I surf several times a week for 1 to 2 hours. I get tossed around hard and get water clogged in my ears, but I've never had a problem with my T because of it. I use ear drops to dry out my ears after surfing or swimming - I've been doing that for years, even prior to T. Every time I go to a doctor, they know I've been in the ocean because there is sand in my ears.

I have been considering getting ear plugs to keep the water out and protect myself from getting surfer's ear (exostosis), but this is completely unrelated to T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Yellow Ledbetter
      Batty

Yellow Ledbetter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      I've been scuba diving & it had no effect on my T whatsoever. I did find I felt alot of pressure, but relived that vy popping my ears, I get alot of sinus problems though so that's probably why I seem to feel pressure more than others. I also swim heaps I don't wear ear plugs and it seems to work for me :)

6. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      @Telis i wear the swimmers ear plugs to keep my ears dry and to prevent any potential ear infection by water in the ear...it is my precaution since if one gets ear infection, one has no choice but to take antibiotic which most of us here with T would rather not take...-)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Good point about the antibiotics...that's why I'm here! It was antibiotics that gave me T

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I own a jet ski and went waverunnin and water skiing after a wedding i went to for the weekend.. Ears filled up but no change in T afterwards...

• Helpful Helpful x 1