Wearing Earplugs Around Young Child: Sensible or Ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Poseidon65, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      I've had tinnitus for 6 months now following an acoustic trauma. Still hoping it might fade a bit from current levels.

I am also the father of a 2-year-old son. Like many kids, my son can sometimes be pretty loud, e.g. when he screams or cries about something. In fact, our son has a particularly shrill cry (as compared to other children), which has been the case since birth.

When my son makes a loud noise, especially if it's indoors or in an enclosed environment (e.g. a car), it can cause me some ear discomfort. I couldn't say whether or not this causes my tinnitus to spike, or whether it interferes with the long-term healing process following my original acoustic trauma.

Given the above, I've started trying to wear earplugs when around my young son. However, I'm wondering if this is overly cautious and potentially bordering on the ridiculous. Does anyone else do the same? If so, what's been your experience after you started plugging vs. before? Has it helped in any way?

2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I don't usually give advice in absolutes. But if you had an acoustic trauma just 6 months ago, do not let anyone tell you that you are being ridiculous for be careful around a screaming child. Anyone who tells you that this is bad because the few minutes in a car with earplugs could "lead to over protection" is a nut job, and frankly, a whole other kind of "ridiculous". If you've read about this elsewhere, this is not what over protection is. This is just being smart and not taking your hearing for granted after one unfortunate trauma.

Especially since you say want it to fade. This time window is a gift; take advantage of it.

Another tip: See if you can find a way to have prednisone on hand (or at least have a set up with a doctor where you can get it immediately) if you have a second trauma. Prednisone for acoustic trauma is time sensitive.

Lastly, I'm sorry if I seem over the top. I've just seen so many people have their lives ruined (and become suicidal, with families on here). I really can't think of a situation where ear plugs wouldn't be better.

Best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      I wear earplugs around my son. He cries, it’s loud. May not be technically “too loud”, but definitely at the limit of comfort. To me, it’s a matter of taking care of myself, so I can in turn continue to provide for my family and keep the tinnitus in check.

I keep a set of Westone custom ear moulds with 20 dB filters on hand at all times. And a set of 3M X1As for baths and changing, and general cranky times.

Why risk it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sensible!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Very sensible. I have a two year old daughter and I always have ear pro at the ready.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I'm a muff man myself.

I have them around my neck at all times indoors, except, funnily enough, at bath time. My kids aren't that loud at that time, but I may put them on from now just to be sure.

For me it's not the crying, but the screaming. Like your son, my oldest has a very shrill scream. It must reach well over 100dB. Oh, and watch out for the little one punching you in the ear without warning. I've been there. It's not nice.